2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

K&N drop in

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sauceamomo is right. k+n recommends a 50000 mile wash and re-oil, assuming normal use. also specifically says not to do it too often. the dirt gets trapped in the oil, and then helps to block more dirt from going through.

if its a fine dust by you, though, i think i'd stick with the stock. k+ns flow better, but you can see the gaps in the filter. for the negligble difference i've seen in my sc w/ a drop in, i don't think it'd be worth getting more crap in the engine.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by sauceamomo
uh...i believe the cleaning interval is a lot longer than that. of course depending on the conditions where you live (paved vs dusty roads). drop in filters are cleaned about every 50000 miles if driven on mainly paved roads.
I try to be **** about that stuff. The salt out here during the winter gets everywhere and gunks up everything. Its nasty. My SS/SC had dirt and salt all over it when I took it out and cleaned it. That salt really gets everywhere.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:51 PM

ive got one ill let go for 15 shipped less than 500 miles pm me if u want
Old 11-18-2008, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought mine at a "Advance Auto Parts" store. You can go to partsamerica.com and see the price which I got it for.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by 40rty
How often should they be cleaned? Mine has been in for almost 3 months now. And how?
Originally Posted by 1BADSS/SC
I believe the maintenence schedule says once every 6 months. For info on cleaning and supplies, go on their website.
Please be careful when you wash and oil your K&N, many people put too much oil on there filter, thus contaminating the MAF sensor. You shouldn't have to reoil your filter very often. It depend where the air filter is located, driving conditions etc. If the filter is in the stock location, I would say minimum 30,000 miles more like 50,000.

The dirtier your air filter is = less air flow.
K&N's do not filter as well as most paper elements which means less filtration=more flow. People have done test where they put a dab of clear grease before the intake manifold and drive XXXX miles and drive the same miles with the other filter. You can guess which dab is dirtier.

Last edited by bri2203; 11-19-2008 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bri2203
Please be careful when you re oil your K&N, many people put too much oil on there filter, thus contaminating the MAF sensor. You shouldn't have to reoil your filter very often. It depend where the air filter is located, driving conditions etc. If the filter is in the stock location, I would say minimum 30,000 miles more like 50,000.

The dirtier your air filter the less air flow it will allow.
K&N's do not filter as well as most paper elements with means less filtration=more flow. People have done test where they put a dab of clear grease before the intake manifold and drive XXXX miles and drive the same miles with the other filter. You can guess which dab is dirtier.
so you are saying the k&N IS BAD for your car ?
Old 11-19-2008, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by BowTieTillIdie
I didn't say that. If I did someoe would say, my 1996 XXXX has 300,000 miles on it and it has a K&N since day one.

Think of it this way...
When your sanding drywall/wood/paint... Do you wear a mask that seals to your face well and filters or do you use mask that has a couple holes in and doesn't form to your face?

Could you live a long life without wearing a mask? sure
Would you live longer if you wore a mask? maybe

Check out this link for filtration and flow comparisons
http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

Whats in my car?
I usually use paper elements because they are cheap, easy maintaince, and they do what they are supposed to do well(Filter air). However I just bought a K&N for my TC because is was the same price as a paper filter. (Hipocrit) I thought I would give it try.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:22 AM

does this drop in, throw codes or void any thing on the warrenty, I know the dealships are PICKY!
Old 11-19-2008, 09:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
They don't filter as well as the factory elements.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:52 AM

pretty sure K&n does not void any warrantys. i've had mine all for a few months now and the dealership has said nothing to me. K&N also say's that there intakes do not void any warranty's....as far as throwing codes...i've never had a problem with mine
Old 11-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cobalttuner4698
pretty sure K&n does not void any warrantys. i've had mine all for a few months now and the dealership has said nothing to me. K&N also say's that there intakes do not void any warranty's....as far as throwing codes...i've never had a problem with mine

Well after reading on a Audi forum they have said the K&N actually made them loose 13-14 bhp

FTW

I want to see the dyno numbers on our cars with K&N. Also they said the oils screw the MAF.

Can you clean off the MAF sensor ? weird. If this is the case I'll sell mine with the kit for 20 bucks shipped only got 500 - 600 miles on it ..

http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/audi-...em-filter.html
Old 11-19-2008, 02:50 PM

Lose Hp? never heard of that...i've got the typhoon kit on my car...definite gain in power. U even hear the difference. As long as you dont over oil the filter, it wont harm the MAF. After a few days...just check it to make sure. as far as cleaning...i think you can...though not sure how...i'll google it tnight.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:15 PM

i just picked up mine from advanced auto like an hour ago....it does spool a little faster n sounds a little different...deff better than the fat stock one lol
Old 11-19-2008, 06:40 PM

sounds good! hope to see some pics of it once installed.

Originally Posted by Grich171
i just picked up mine from advanced auto like an hour ago....it does spool a little faster n sounds a little different...deff better than the fat stock one lol
Old 11-19-2008, 07:34 PM

Well after reading on a Audi forum they have said the K&N actually made them loose 13-14 bhp

FTW

I want to see the dyno numbers on our cars with K&N. Also they said the oils screw the MAF.

Can you clean off the MAF sensor ? weird. If this is the case I'll sell mine with the kit for 20 bucks shipped only got 500 - 600 miles on it ..

http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/audi-...em-filter.html
I ran a K&N FIPK on my Supra, and a K&N Typhoon system on my Si, and a Injen SRi with a K&N Cone filter on my Celica, so I'm pretty used to them. Cleaning and recharging the filter is easy...I do it every spring. You DO want to not overoil your filter because it doesn't help and it can dirty your Mass Air Flow sensor. But it is easy to clean your MAFS too. Just remove it from the piping and clean it with a quetip and throttle body cleaner. Really simple.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:39 PM

sounds good! hope to see some pics of it once installed.
lol you cant see it its just a drop in filter not a pipe or anything
Old 11-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by redninja6r
I ran a K&N FIPK on my Supra, and a K&N Typhoon system on my Si, and a Injen SRi with a K&N Cone filter on my Celica, so I'm pretty used to them. Cleaning and recharging the filter is easy...I do it every spring. You DO want to not overoil your filter because it doesn't help and it can dirty your Mass Air Flow sensor. But it is easy to clean your MAFS too. Just remove it from the piping and clean it with a quetip and throttle body cleaner. Really simple.
Yeah I figured that ... Thanks for the info ... I wasn;t sure .. Krispy said they suck and make your engine die from sucking in particles ...
Old 11-19-2008, 09:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Krispy said they suck and make your engine die from sucking in particles ...
They don't filter as well. I'm not quite sure why you have a such problem with that statement since it is true. Not sure how long it takes before the worse filtration causes a problem though. Its just a risk you take when you run the filters. I ran a K&N on the Z28 I had before the Cobalt for 5 years/35k miles without issue.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Grich171
lol you cant see it its just a drop in filter not a pipe or anything
understandable.....i was thinking that after i posted. lol u should have done a pipe......K&N has some nice ones. Hope all goes well with the filter.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:58 PM

i bought it to and u can almost hear a blowoff valve. turbo spools up a little faster too.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:00 PM

understandable.....i was thinking that after i posted. lol u should have done a pipe......K&N has some nice ones. Hope all goes well with the filter.

they dont make one yet for the Tc
Old 11-19-2008, 11:02 PM

gotcha...wasnt sure if they had one out yet or not.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Greg_SS
i bought it to and u can almost hear a blowoff valve. turbo spools up a little faster too.

You just gotta hit the sweet spot to hear it good. SOmetimes it suprises me..

Watch out for your charge piping now ...
Old 11-20-2008, 05:47 AM

Auto parts store and look it up!!!

I bought a K&N drop in with the cleaner kit becasue I live on an extremely dusty dirt road in the desert.

I love K&N

as soon as I dropped mine in I could immediatley notice boost building quicker and I could hear the factory return style BOV

I like it ... it is worth the 30 bucks ..

Go to Advanced autoparts and they have our cars in the system but same airfilter is used for the 2.2's pretty sure ..
Well, for starters,, colorado does not have a desert anyplace so you must have failed 5th grade geography...

This filer costs $44-46 nation wide not including state taxes.

Lose Hp? never heard of that...i've got the typhoon kit on my car...definite gain in power. U even hear the difference. As long as you dont over oil the filter, it wont harm the MAF. After a few days...just check it to make sure. as far as cleaning...i think you can...though not sure how...i'll google it tnight.
I would never oil my filter if I was you... It serves no real point other than to collect dirt and particles more easily... Plus.. it blocks the air flow..... Drop-in filters, no matter the car will give no more than a 2 hp gain.. You'll hear it, but it's nothing you'll feel or write home about......

Last edited by SportredSS; 11-20-2008 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-20-2008, 09:37 PM

Just a heads up to everyone considering replacing their air filter on their T/C: When i put my K&N in my car i was kind of in a rush and broke the plastic nipple for the PCV thats attached to the air intake. I didnt even realize it was there till after i broke it. You have to replace the whole air duct when that happens.

I have an Associates degree in automotive and have changed hundreds of air filters before so this can def happen to anyone.

Quick Reply: K&N drop in