2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

lightweight alternator pulley for LNF

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lightweight alternator pulley for LNF

anybody tried this on a LNF? if so how do u like it? im pretty sure this isnt going to free up much power at all, however, the throttle response might be improved.

and no, before anyone brings it up, there is no harmonic dampner on the stock alternator pulley

link:

Lightweight Alternator Pulley - Ecotec 2.0LNF/2.2/2.4 - 5 ribs: by Parts - Pulleys - Lightweight Underdrive - Ecotec 5rib Alt pulley - Car Performance Parts And Auto Accessories | MRZ Performance
Old 01-28-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
go for it.

Like you said it isn't the dampener in the system so I doubt you will hurt anything.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dart_SI
and no, before anyone brings it up, there is no harmonic dampner on the stock alternator pulley
HAHAHAHAHAHA nice dude.

I like how they have a picture of an alternator and tell you to make sure its the same one... Um part number please so I can for sure match the pulley to the alternator. Seems like a good idea but the drag from the alternator comes from spinning the magnet in the copper... So for looks yea scoop it up but performance... meh negligible.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by umrdyldo
go for it.

Like you said it isn't the dampener in the system so I doubt you will hurt anything.
ya this. its oem size so it should work no problem.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Will probably have no effect at all. People have stopped doing this on most high-end cars. To be honest it's still just the guys with cheaper cars doing it. Not saying your car is cheap but it's probably where you're getting the idea from.

It kills alternators so fast it's not worth it on anything short of a complete race car.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:07 PM

i just think itd help out the throttle response a little more.
about making the alternator go bad, its oem size, if the alternator goes bad its from a defect.

anyway, my mindset is little things add up.

lets say a lightweight crank pulley + alternator pulley net you 10 whp in some areas on the dyno (mpx confirmed this on a dyno with only the crank pulley)
plus you add about 7-10 whp from a pnp'd intake manifold (im just guessing on this, dunno how much ill gain)

thats potentially 20whp in some areas of your powercurve. not bad for a cheaper car mod. granted if your making like 600whp an extra 20 wont really matter. but im not only looking for the hp, im also looking for better response and feel. being connected to the car helps you drive it better, and everyone knows the biggest mod you can do to your car is the driver mod.
note: im not saying these mods will make you a better driver.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:16 PM

You are thinking of under drive pulleys on stuff to increase horsepower. Just taking a few ounces on one isn't going to help a whole lot. I agree that little things add up but this wouldn't add a whole lot. The reason why the crank dampener adds throttle response is because there is MUCH less mass to turn.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:22 PM

i just think itd help out the throttle response a little more.
about making the alternator go bad, its oem size, if the alternator goes bad its from a defect.

anyway, my mindset is little things add up.

lets say a lightweight crank pulley + alternator pulley net you 10 whp in some areas on the dyno (mpx confirmed this on a dyno with only the crank pulley)
plus you add about 7-10 whp from a pnp'd intake manifold (im just guessing on this, dunno how much ill gain)

thats potentially 20whp in some areas of your powercurve. not bad for a cheaper car mod. granted if your making like 600whp an extra 20 wont really matter. but im not only looking for the hp, im also looking for better response and feel. being connected to the car helps you drive it better, and everyone knows the biggest mod you can do to your car is the driver mod.
note: im not saying these mods will make you a better driver.
Originally Posted by RyRidesMotox
You are thinking of under drive pulleys on stuff to increase horsepower. Just taking a few ounces on one isn't going to help a whole lot. I agree that little things add up but this wouldn't add a whole lot. The reason why the crank dampener adds throttle response is because there is MUCH less mass to turn.
Read RyRides post.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:22 PM

i was thinking about pairing it with a lightweight crank pulley. but i didnt want all that "you need a harmonic dampner or boom" bs. that would save considerable rotating mass.

and no i wasnt thinking underdrive or overdrive pullies. thats a huge no to me. only oem size or none at all.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:23 PM

i was thinking about pairing it with a lightweight crank pulley. but i didnt want all that "you need a harmonic dampner or boom" bs. that would save considerable rotating mass.
Another thing to think about is the durability of the aftermarket pulley being as good as stock.

There's been problems on Cobras shattering aftermarket pulley's in as little as 10k miles.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:29 PM

and no i wasnt thinking underdrive or overdrive pullies. thats a huge no to me. only oem size or none at all.
I ran some on a hopped up S-10 I had back in the day... It had a 4.3 with a supercharger. Really sweet truck with huge traction issues. Underdrive pulleys are fine to do but I wouldn't do them on this car. For the money you can do alot more power adders than other pulleys. I would say E85 tune, I know it's only 50 bux but let it burn a hole in your pocket for a little bit longer trust me dude you can find more awesome stuff for this thing than a lightweight alternator pulley.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:02 PM

the pulley doesnt fit the stock LNF alternator. The base is cut for an 2.2 or 2.4 alt. It needs to be cut down to a 1in diameter to fit in the LNF alt case. I know this cuz I had to do this. Luckily I had a lathe and was able to trim it. Ive have the MRZ UD crank and a equally smaller (about 2.25in instead of stock 2.5) MRZ alt pulley (to keep ALT speed same as stock) for over 20,000 miles now. Its the updated UD pulley with the steel ring. NO oil leak issues and everything is super smooth.

I told MRZ about the fitment issue with the LNF alt but I guess they never got around to fixing it
Old 01-28-2011, 04:35 PM

they shouldnt advertize that it fits the LNF on their website then.

how are u liking the crank pulley? im getting the OEM size. its also lighter than mpx's crank pulley by a good amount.