2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Need help on a misfire

Old 05-17-2019, 11:44 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 02-23-10
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 292
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Need help on a misfire

P0303 cylinder #3 misfire. I have no clue what is causing it.

Background - Swapped out almost everything for this build. Majority of it is in my signature. Code gets thrown at startup, when I would clear it, it would never come back on during driving. Didnt matter if it was 100 miles, or 2 miles. But at startup the code would come back. We moved the spark plug to #4 and the coil to #2 and still got the P0303. We did a compression test, 130 across the board. Tested for injector pulse on startup for cylinder 3, that was good and normal.

Switched the spark plugs from the auto lites that ZZP sent, to OEM AC Delco gapped at .030". This is where I am at now. CEL was gone for a day or so and is now back. I have an interceptor gauge so I watched misfires and it only registers a #3 misfire at idle. If I am in gear and driving it shows nothing, once I am idling that number starts climbing. Once I start driving it goes back to zero. If I clear the CEL it does not come back on untill startup, but now it is 2 startups after its cleared.

What else can I do? It doest drive odd, it doesnt have any issues while driving. I went back and forth and tuned it with Matt from ZZP, he cant see anything odd in the log. Any help is appreciated.

After I get this all situated I am going to throw it on a dyno and get numbers.
michael23v is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 12:23 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
steelmesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-23-16
Location: MI
Posts: 578
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Swap out #3 injector next
steelmesh is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 02:15 PM
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 02-23-10
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 292
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by steelmesh View Post
Swap out #3 injector next
That would be a difficult task with the OPEL injectors wouldn't it?
michael23v is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 02:46 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
steelmesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-23-16
Location: MI
Posts: 578
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by michael23v View Post
That would be a difficult task with the OPEL injectors wouldn't it?
Crap sorry I am mistaken, you're LNF direct injected...it's a big job to swap injectors. With PFI it's much easier to swap injectors so why I suggested that first.
steelmesh is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 05:11 PM
  #5  
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 02-23-10
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 292
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by steelmesh View Post
Crap sorry I am mistaken, you're LNF direct injected...it's a big job to swap injectors. With PFI it's much easier to swap injectors so why I suggested that first.
I mean if all that is left to check is the injector then I have to do it I guess, which means back to ZZP for a new one and all that jazz. Any other thoughts before I go that route?
michael23v is offline  
Old 05-18-2019, 11:02 PM
  #6  
New Member
 
Join Date: 01-12-19
Location: Boyertown pa
Posts: 125
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If ignition and compression are not it, it's the only thing left.
C0balts5 is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 05:59 PM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 02-23-10
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 292
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
But if it was an injector, why would it only happen at idle? That is the only thing that is odd.
michael23v is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 06:27 PM
  #8  
New Member
 
Join Date: 01-12-19
Location: Boyertown pa
Posts: 125
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Restricted flow and then once the rpms climb the fuel pressure overcomes the clogged ports in the injector
C0balts5 is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 07:52 PM
  #9  
Super Moderator
Platinum Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 07-14-08
Location: canada
Posts: 11,882
Received 119 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by michael23v View Post
P0303 cylinder #3 misfire. I have no clue what is causing it.

Background - Swapped out almost everything for this build. Majority of it is in my signature. Code gets thrown at startup, when I would clear it, it would never come back on during driving. Didnt matter if it was 100 miles, or 2 miles. But at startup the code would come back. We moved the spark plug to #4 and the coil to #2 and still got the P0303. We did a compression test, 130 across the board. Tested for injector pulse on startup for cylinder 3, that was good and normal.

Switched the spark plugs from the auto lites that ZZP sent, to OEM AC Delco gapped at .030". This is where I am at now. CEL was gone for a day or so and is now back. I have an interceptor gauge so I watched misfires and it only registers a #3 misfire at idle. If I am in gear and driving it shows nothing, once I am idling that number starts climbing. Once I start driving it goes back to zero. If I clear the CEL it does not come back on untill startup, but now it is 2 startups after its cleared.

What else can I do? It doest drive odd, it doesnt have any issues while driving. I went back and forth and tuned it with Matt from ZZP, he cant see anything odd in the log. Any help is appreciated.

After I get this all situated I am going to throw it on a dyno and get numbers.
130 across the board is kinda low for lnf. should be 150. or did you do it on a cold engine?? ur supposed to warm it up first fyi. if you did, get a new compression tester.
I think literally everyone gets misfire on startup on modded and tuned engine at some point. I sure do. its in the tune. fix the tune, and ur misfire will go away or pop up less often.
tomj77 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
mandk1229
2.0L LSJ Performance Tech
53
10-26-2011 02:28 PM
tbellazzi
2.0L LSJ Performance Tech
0
08-16-2011 09:00 PM
QuickSilver_SS
2.0L LSJ Performance Tech
6
09-04-2010 09:07 AM
CobaltChikara
2.4L LE5 Performance Tech
7
07-13-2009 06:36 PM
06ssgm2
2.0L LSJ Performance Tech
13
04-24-2008 10:15 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help on a misfire


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.