2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

P2187- Lean on Idle Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question P2187- Lean on Idle Assistance

Hello Everyone,
Recently I upgraded to a ZZP hot/lower side pipe along with a Theadstone TR8. The hot side has a TurboXS BOV. Blocked off bpv with Theadstone block-off. After installation I receive a remote tune from my tuner using my HP Tuners. MAF was relocated and 3.3 bar installed in new lower charge pipe.

Currently at idle my car runs like cow turds. When its cold sometimes it dies after starting right away. Second start it stays on. Seems to run better when warm. I have thought about deleting the vacuum canister using THIS article. So as of current I'm unsure what to test or try. I've done a lot of research and "testing" to resolve this, yet I get the same code. I will note that if I clear the code and start the car it runs great. Also, closed loop faults out at times anywhere from 2:37 min - almost 6 mins. Only other thing I can thing of is PCV hose is shot. I'm going to purchase one to test my theory.

Steps taken to resolve issue:
  • After some boost leak testing I found a few clamps that needed tightening down.
  • My MAF and 3.3 sensor where leaking air. I went to fastenal and got new fasteners for it. Additional I sealed these with silicone to assure no leaks.
  • Double-checked by using soapy water, only slight leak left is at BOV Flange.
  • EVAP tested and working correctly.

I do have an extensive list of scan files readily available if you click HERE

Any ideas on what I should look for/test.

And yes I did read into the forums, this below didnt help.
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l...-p2187-239260/
Old 05-09-2017, 09:12 AM

Bump
Old 05-09-2017, 09:32 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Get all your boost leaks fixed and then have your tuner adjust the tune again. That's why it is idling like crap, the tune needs adjusted because it was leaking in air like crazy.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:48 AM

E, I've boost leak testes up to 25 psi. No leaks. Pvc piping and a male quick disconnect w/ air compressor. Tuner gave me a new file to write to the car. Idle rpm is 1.5k but no code till today. So took the car longer to pop a code. Could this code be due to the maf being close to the throttle body?
Old 05-09-2017, 10:00 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
The car idles at 1.5k? Sounds like your tune needs some serious help, your tuner does know the maf is relocated right?

Also do you have the correct spring in your BOV?
Old 05-09-2017, 10:26 AM

Yes. It idles high for the first minute or so. Once closed loop kicks in the car is fine. Yes, he knows its a blow through setup. I can relink my newest tune/scan file if needed. I'm down to either pcv hose issue, tune issue, or eliminating my vacuum canister (running then straight to source.) Ill retest for boost leaks, but I think at this point ive beat that horse with a stick enough. Id like a well know cobalt tuner take a look and let me know what he thinks. Next thing im going to do is take off the bov/chargepipe and buy a forge BPV and be done with it. My BOV is a turboxs rfl, came on the pipe. So im not sure about your spring qusstion.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:27 PM

Update:
Car has codes P0507 (from the high idle which doesn't surprise me from the tune), and now shows P2261. Original code in thread start appears to have gone away with my tuners last tune.
-Also, boost leak tested again (millionth time). My MAP sensor on lower charge pipe is leaking again. Everything else is good. I'm having a lot of issues with getting this ZZP charge pipe to seal the MAF and MAP sensors. MAF seems to be sealed good now.

If I can't resolve this I'm going to say F%^$ it and purchase new piping, run stock BPV and get a tune. I'm down to either my tuner's incompetent or I really F'ed up somewhere with my vacuum/BOV setup. Obviously I need to fix the boost leak now..

Edit: Here are pictures of my current setup with BOV, vacuum lines, etc. http://imgur.com/a/ekEa0

Last edited by Titler; 05-09-2017 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Added pictures of BOV setup with link.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Titler
Update:
Car has codes P0507 (from the high idle which doesn't surprise me from the tune), and now shows P2261. Original code in thread start appears to have gone away with my tuners last tune.
-Also, boost leak tested again (millionth time). My MAP sensor on lower charge pipe is leaking again. Everything else is good. I'm having a lot of issues with getting this ZZP charge pipe to seal the MAF and MAP sensors. MAF seems to be sealed good now.

If I can't resolve this I'm going to say F%^$ it and purchase new piping, run stock BPV and get a tune. I'm down to either my tuner's incompetent or I really F'ed up somewhere with my vacuum/BOV setup. Obviously I need to fix the boost leak now..

Edit: Here are pictures of my current setup with BOV, vacuum lines, etc. BOV Troubleshoot - Album on Imgur

First, I own a Solstice and came here a year ago in hopes to find a cure for P2188. I didn't find one. So I said screw it and I'll take the plunge and change my HPFP.

One question, then I won't say anymore....How many miles on your car? Is it possible you have major carbon buildup on the intake valves and its causing them to stay open a bit too long?

That's my only question....Take my advice for what it's worth. I've been on this forum, the ATS forum, the HHR forum, Hyundai Sonata, Mazda, Kia and of course all of the Kappa platform forums for over a year trying to find an answer to my P2188 code and the carbon buildup is a common issue with all of the Direct Injection motors.... Most report the P2187 and cam solenoid issues (p0080?? and p0079??) together for this problem. I don't even know if you have a DI motor....but thought I would add this just in case it might help....
Old 05-20-2017, 10:11 PM

Resolution:
This issue has been resolved. I removed vacuum canister all together. BOV runs straight to intake manifold. I also blocked off lower charge-pipe vacuum nipple with RTV silicone. Boost leak tested again and no issues. Go myself a new tuner KM043 off the forums here hooked me up. He had my issue(s) taken care of in within an hour. Still fine tuning as of right now, but car is running 100 times better.

Alternative Solutions:
I figured my other solutions if I couldn't get the BOV setup fixed would of been to but maf back in airbox location. Then, perhaps put stock BPV back on and only have a plain hot charge pipe.