2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Painting LNF valve cover questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting LNF valve cover questions.

I'm thinking about pulling my valve cover off and painting it. I know it won't be the quality of powder coating but honestly I'm just bored and I've all ready got all the paint supplies. My question is how can I mask the ecotec off. I've seen the powder coated ones black with white lettering and thats exactly what I want to do. The only way I see of doing it is painting it and then going over it with something like a touch up paint brush. If anybody has any ideas on how to tape it off I'd appreciate it.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:08 AM
Thread Killer
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would suggest painting over it then using a orbital sander or something similar to take the paint off the raised portion of the Ecotec part. or i had a friend put chapstick on the ecotec part, then paint over everything and once its dry you whipe away the chapstick part...although i dont recommend that last one.

i would think you would have more control with the flat sander and sandpaper to remove the paint once hardened
Old 07-26-2012, 01:10 AM
Thread Killer
Platinum Member

....just read that you wanted to paint the lettering white...yea just mask it off as best as you can and use a brush or something

OR spray the white, wait to dry then mask off the lettering real good then paint the rest black
Old 07-26-2012, 01:12 AM

the easiest way to do two colors is to just tape off the embossed (aka raised) sections of the valve cover. If you want that section a certain color, paint it and let it dry before taping over it. Once you have your tape over it roughly, you should be able to take a very sharp edge and cut along the edges of the raised portions without messing up your paint underneath.

if you just wanted the raised portions the aluminum color then I'd just paint the whole cover, let it dry, then take a fine grit sandpaper and sand off the paint on the raised sections and clear after..

this is just how I would attempt it anyways.. in to see if somebody thinks of something easier
Old 07-26-2012, 01:17 AM

Make sure tape is stuck good so paint doesn't get up under! Id use a blow dryer too with some good masking tape an a razor blade! In for pics!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:18 AM
Thread Killer
Platinum Member

yes make sure you use GOOD quality tape and good prep work. it will pay off
Old 07-26-2012, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
That white lettering u see in pics, isn't white lettering, I thought the same thing, it's just sanded off after powder. Make sure u use very high heat paint. Cause valve cover gets pretty hot
Old 07-26-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
have it powdercoated..... prepping it 100% is impossible. all the nooks are crannies by the bolts you wont be able to prep 100% and eventually the paint will fail.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:32 PM

I've got another question. I've been searching around about removing the valve cover and I've seen people having to cut lines, I've seen people saying you just unbolt it, I've seen needing a special tool. Can someone tell me exactly what it is people are having so much trouble with? I know its 2 lines but looking at the pictures I just don't see as to what would be so hard. I've all ready ordered a new gasket in case I need it but if I'm definately going to need some kind of tool whats the part number or where can I get it?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:44 PM

the lines arent very easy to remove.

you need a 10mm socket for the valve cover itself to unbolt it... a 10mm flex head wrench to unbolt one of the lines from the turbo and then the other line that goes to the intake just disconnect it.

they are a royal pain to get off. what i have found works good is to take 4 tiny phillips throw away screw drivers to angle back all the fins insideto pull the lines out. one of them you can use a disconnect tool(the one that has the angled piece on it but the other one is not so easy.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Omiotek
have it powdercoated..... prepping it 100% is impossible. all the nooks are crannies by the bolts you wont be able to prep 100% and eventually the paint will fail.
false

i've done two valve covers with regular high temp spray paint and they have been holding up strong for 2 years now... powdercoating can get the most durable results, im not doubting that... but well done paint can look just as good..

my two valve covers I've done (ignore the fact the engine bay is dirty otherwise)

I have yet to start on my LNF valve cover, but I'll use the same process.. just trying to figure out the best way to remove those breather lines without the dremel way of doing things first
Old 07-26-2012, 06:13 PM

I painted mine, and its held up just fine. its not perfect around the bolt holes, or where the Coil pack sit, but who really sees it?

Strut tower bar was matched as well.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:39 PM

I have been looking into paint the valve cover too but after looking into removing the valve cover the the LNF motor is too much of a pain in the dick
Old 07-26-2012, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by padlock
false

i've done two valve covers with regular high temp spray paint and they have been holding up strong for 2 years now... powdercoating can get the most durable results, im not doubting that... but well done paint can look just as good..

my two valve covers I've done (ignore the fact the engine bay is dirty otherwise)

I have yet to start on my LNF valve cover, but I'll use the same process.. just trying to figure out the best way to remove those breather lines without the dremel way of doing things first
im not saying it cant look good. theres just some areas that are extremely hard to prep correctly. i forget which bolt holes they are but the ones where they hav elike a crevice right by them. most of its easy and will last. i just look at for time spent, money on paint and durability powdercoating is the easiest and cheapest method.

and also le5 covers are a lot easier to prep due to not having the crevices by the bolt holes that the lnf valve covers which is what i was referring to since it was the thread title.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Where's The Cruze SS?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by surfdude979
I have been looking into paint the valve cover too but after looking into removing the valve cover the the LNF motor is too much of a pain in the dick
Agreed, going to see if I can get somebody to remove mine so I can get it powdercoated.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by surfdude979
this... I'll get to it eventually... as well as the intake manifold
Originally Posted by Omiotek
im not saying it cant look good. theres just some areas that are extremely hard to prep correctly. i forget which bolt holes they are but the ones where they hav elike a crevice right by them. most of its easy and will last. i just look at for time spent, money on paint and durability powdercoating is the easiest and cheapest method.

and also le5 covers are a lot easier to prep due to not having the crevices by the bolt holes that the lnf valve covers which is what i was referring to since it was the thread title.
i think you're assuming prepping is too hard? yeah its not the most fun in the world, but you make it seem impossible.. the L61 and LNF and LE5 all have hard spots to get at (i've seen all of them up close and realized this), but its not like its THAT hard. sanding prep takes maybe at most 30-45 minutes with the proper material, then the finish all depends on which primer, base, and clear you use. Once you find a good combination you can get very nice results for like 10% of what powdercoating would cost. not to mention you can have the whole project done, start to finish in less than 5 hours (given you can get the breather lines off the LNF cover off in that amount of time, which is debatable )

like I said, not hating against PC in any way because it does look very nice and is durable as heck, but saying its "easiest and cheapest" is kinda up for debate. It's just easiest cuz your handing off all the prep work to someone else you're paying, so either way prep needs to be done for a good finish.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Premium Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
VHT Engine paint works good
Old 07-27-2012, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by padlock
this... I'll get to it eventually... as well as the intake manifold

i think you're assuming prepping is too hard? yeah its not the most fun in the world, but you make it seem impossible.. the L61 and LNF and LE5 all have hard spots to get at (i've seen all of them up close and realized this), but its not like its THAT hard. sanding prep takes maybe at most 30-45 minutes with the proper material, then the finish all depends on which primer, base, and clear you use. Once you find a good combination you can get very nice results for like 10% of what powdercoating would cost. not to mention you can have the whole project done, start to finish in less than 5 hours (given you can get the breather lines off the LNF cover off in that amount of time, which is debatable )

like I said, not hating against PC in any way because it does look very nice and is durable as heck, but saying its "easiest and cheapest" is kinda up for debate. It's just easiest cuz your handing off all the prep work to someone else you're paying, so either way prep needs to be done for a good finish.
my only issue with spray paint is god forbid you hit it with sometihng it... it just doesnt hold up. use automotive paint works pretty good though but in all honesty for the amount of prep that goes into it for me to do it took for ever but im also extremely maticulous with everything.

heres a valve cover i did... by the time i stripped the junk powdercoating from nissan off and prepped it i had nearly 3 hours into it. things been holding up great for 4 years now. unbuffed as it came out really clean and the coil cover is reversed. letters are purple even though its hard to see.
Name:  vc3.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  92.8 KB
Name:  vc2.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  84.1 KB
Name:  vc1.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  76.0 KB
Old 07-27-2012, 12:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whatever you do, do NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT media blast it. There are baffles and filtering plates on the underside that are impossible to mask off. Many Evo engines have been ruined due to powder coating. The sand sticks in the nooks and crannies, and when the oil starts getting to it, it comes off in chunks.

Use polyurethane paint, or get it powder coated by someone familiar with this issue, and is willing to hand prep the VC.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:36 PM

My valve cover paint always looks nice until the first time I wrench on my car lol