2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

porus block

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
porus block

idk how to spell but im pretty sure i have one
left for a gunshow today on the way home seen the low coolant light and to my suprise to coolant and a gurgling sound from the back of the motor.

i live about 20 miles from any place that sells coolant so filled it with water. ran it and no overheating no leaking.

although im not smoking anything. the oil looks fine.

andddddd no warranty anymore =[ wow motors are like 5 grand

this should be a recall though. there have been a number of leaky blocks hell i have a buddy with an 09 as well that had one.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:44 PM

To anyone who has had this problem how often did you have to top off the antifreeze? Ive had to do it twice now in a year and a half. I've changed the oil twice and its been fine both times. I don't think I've ever had to top off antifreeze in any car I've had before this so I'm getting a bit concerned.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just had this replaced under warranty. be prepared to fight, I had to. 97 days later and a member on here helped fight the dealer.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:55 PM

Are you positive its the block and not the water pump leaking?

I've seen quite a few LNFs blow out the water pump. Mainly on the Solstice/Sky though.. but its the same engine.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i had a porous block... changed out at 36,000km.... low coolant flashed once in a while... only went down about an inch... no biggie... then one day driving home... low collant flashed a few times and cleared... kept driving..car started to overheat...so i pulled over and shut it down. no coolant left in the resevoir... no steam, no smoke, no spray in the engine bay... oil fill cap had moisture... dealership paid for tow and new engine... it's a known problem in the 09's... it should be a warranty thing but imagine the publicity GM would get about having engine problems..

Goodluck!
Old 02-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
ya if they give u a hard time for their mistake, threaten to go to the news. lol my dealer didnt give me any problems, my coolent was vanishing, took it in, an hour later they called me and said it was porus block and that they ordered a new motor. a month later, due to gm being retarded and not wanting to release it on time, i had my new motor. My dealer did the fighting for me.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:11 PM

it should be a recall.

but im dealing with an attorney guys. because an intake has no way to cause a porus block.

so guys im asking for help. if you or anyone you know on here can PM me their story about their issues with the porus block with a phone number we can call if needed in court. It would help tremendously! hopefully get a new motor. i cant afford to pay for this car and put an engine in.

so again guys please please help.

and no im not 100 percent sure but ive not seen any leaks any signs of leaks neither on the motor or on the ground.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:25 PM

its simple, do EXACTLY as I instructed the last guy. PAY TO HAVE A LAB TEST YOUR OIL! When the results show an unacceptable amount of coolant in the oil, take said paperwork to the dealer, who from there should refer it to GM, who will ask to inspect your car (they will send someone out either during dissasembly or after replacement to check your old engine, this part has nothing to do with you, it's how the dealer gets reimbursed.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:58 PM

yeah but i dont have a warranty. i havent in a long time.

and guys you dont have to give me ur number. at least email!!!
thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 12:09 AM

Does the garggling noise sound at the beginning of the cars start up? I get this weird noise at the begining of start up here and there. If it's this problem, will my mods make it difficult to get replaced?
Old 02-23-2011, 12:28 AM

no its shut off
Old 02-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by superrslow
yeah but i dont have a warranty. i havent in a long time.

and guys you dont have to give me ur number. at least email!!!
thanks
are you really over the 5yr/100k? This wouldn't be bumper to bumper. It is powertrain.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:38 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
I think he might be tuned and they voided it probably.

The reason this will never be recall and the same reason the brakes will never be a recall is the simple fact that there is only a very very small customer base for the cobalt SS 08'- 10'. Only 3500 or so im guessing... this number is soooooo insignificant in the wide world of cobalts out there that they will only see 3500 complaints at most and only if we all actually complain.

The only way we get involved in a recall is if it happens to the majority of cobalts not just 08 and up SS cobalts. The only way I can see this getting some attention is if the porous block is the culprit of killing a school bus full of children and that it can be proven.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:14 AM

This is interesting, my low coolant light has flashed on right when I start up a few times in the last month. I looked at the reservoir and it looked fine. Is there something to look for other then oil lab test to see if I am having this same problem or wait for it too completely die?!

Anyone recommend a place to have oil test done? How much? Does it matter if I just changed my oil a few weeks ago?
Old 02-23-2011, 11:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tommyk
This is interesting, my low coolant light has flashed on right when I start up a few times in the last month. I looked at the reservoir and it looked fine. Is there something to look for other then oil lab test to see if I am having this same problem or wait for it too completely die?!

Anyone recommend a place to have oil test done? How much? Does it matter if I just changed my oil a few weeks ago?
keep an eye on your coolant level and every once in a while maybe pop the dipstick out and have a look for a milky appearance or take your oil fill cap off and see if there is any moisture droplets on it.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tommyk

Go to "Bob is the oil guy" web site, if you search on there site there is a few places that test oil..
Old 02-23-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My motor was replaced at about 25k miles due to this same problem. I got "low coolant" flashing on the DIC and everthing else was ok. I topped it off and everything seemed fine, I couldn't find any leaks or smoke or anything. After it would tell me "low coolant" every 150 or so miles it was time to take it in. The dealership pressure tested the system hot and cold, and did compression tests, and supposedly checked the oil with no signs of any problems, they filled me up with new coolant and sent me on my way. Well, 150 miles later and I got "low coolant" again so I took it back to the dealership. I was then told I needed a new engine, and it would be replaced for free, I was extremely lucky to have had no problems with the dealership installing the new engine. They never said anything about my mods (listed in sig, and all of which were installed at the time) and reinstalled the mods when the new engine was installed. I'm sorry the story was so long, just wanted to share what happened to me and I'm sorry that your having problems, I hope you can get everything fixed, as this is something that is GM's fault.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:34 PM

yeah but i dont have a warranty. i havent in a long time
That's the part I don't get here. You have a 2009 and it's covered for 5 yrs 100,000 miles. How is it you can't have a warranty?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by CudaJoe
I think he might be tuned and they voided it probably.

That's assuming they already checked for a tune...he hasn't told us anything.

If he brought it in looking bone stock, they prolly wouldn't bother to check for a tune. That's what he should have done anyway.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:28 PM

tune and intake i only have 24000 miles. gm said they wouldnt test my motor to see if it was bad. nothing. =[

this really sucks.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:50 PM

tune and intake i only have 24000 miles. gm said they wouldnt test my motor to see if it was bad. nothing. =[

this really sucks.
How do they know you have a tune? As far as intake...I don't think they can void your warranty, unless they can show it was a cause. As an example, look at K&N standing up to defend the warranty with their Short Ram. Try to go back to stock and go to another dealer. Hopefully, they didn't *brand you* for violation of the warranty.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:21 PM

There have been bulletins about how to check for the hide-a-tune. It's so bad with Duramax trucks they will lock out the computer and the only way to run tuned is a piggyback controller.

As far as engines, from what I've been tracking here, only engines made between AUGUST 2008 and APRIL 2009 have had problems, which affects ONLY 2009 model year cars.

Of the four ones recently, only one (mine) was a defect other than block problems. I had casting slag that was inhaled, exhaled, ground up and spit out along the way.

Cars who've seen the low coolant light a few times, refilled and it hasn't come back since (and it has been months) no worries, that is just the motor burping out the last of the trapped air. This can be up to and over a quart of coolant so don't worry.

There has been ONE case where the oil cooler was the culprit.

If your wondering how to check, drain your oil, LEAVE it drained and put the plug back in with the motor still hot and the system still under pressure. Check it again the next morning/evening/day, if out comes some coolant, even a LITTLE bit you have an internal engine problem.

Things you should understand, The sleeves and block are dissimilar materials, it will sweat coolant, this is usually so insignificant the owner never notices, but it can be several ounces between oil changes, this isn't a game ender and it still means your engine is fine.

MY opinion, if you go more than 5,000 miles without seeing your low coolant message, don't worry about it. From the fill line to the low coolant sensor is only 20 or so ounces. If your tuned, this is even more of a concern, since your subjecting the engine to a broader cylinder temperature range and higher pressure. The idea being your actually causing fatigue between the sleeve and block. Some builders of diesels will apply that green loctite crap and an activator to combat this problem, particularly in severe service. It works well, but I personally prefer a thicker sleeve machined off a spun cast blank, check out the process some time, it's interesting.

Anyways, if your not sure, PM me the symptoms, how much it's using, and I'll tell you what to check. CERTAINLY do not fill your engine back up with straight water, the block has hotspots and it will boil off and create an air pocket, that will cause problems by its lonesome.

Last edited by army_greywolf; 02-23-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:29 PM

Wondering if we can get our hands on the bulletin documents for finding hidden tunes? Me too.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:32 PM

I still can't believe people are this bat **** retarded that they'd think a block could be porous; It's called cavitation geniuses.

*sigh* once again CSS.net defying the laws of metallurgy physics.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by vahdyx
Does the garggling noise sound at the beginning of the cars start up? I get this weird noise at the begining of start up here and there. If it's this problem, will my mods make it difficult to get replaced?
You are most likely hearing cam phaser rattle on cold strat, its normal.

Quick Reply: porus block