2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

POWER STEERING? No START?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy POWER STEERING? No START?

Hello all!

Last night I took a small cruise in my 09 SS/TC. She was running like a champ so I decided to put some fresh gas in her. I pulled in the gas station filled her up with 93 hopped back in turned the key in the ignition and nothing. All of the dash light s cut of and she didn't attempt to turn over. Now keep in mind. A couple of weeks ago I put a brand new battery in. I got out checked the battery post to make sure everything was tight and it was. I hopped back in and tried to starts her again. This time my check engine light was flashing and it read POWER STEERING on the dash. Still no start. So I pulled out my portable scanner and it read "operations error". After I tried to start in again. This time it turned over with no check engine light but wouldn't start. I disconnected the batter for ten minutes and tried in again. No go. I just sat there pissed about to call AAA then I decided to turn it over again and started!

The only mods I've done is stage 1 and a k&n intake. What gives! Is this a common problem. Has this happened to anyone else. I cant seem to recreate the problem. I scared to drive it and be stranded again. There a video I took of the dash while it was acting crazy.

Last edited by amwworks; 05-17-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:33 PM

Old 05-16-2013, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When this happens to me its because of my floor mat getting on the way
Old 05-16-2013, 07:15 PM

I don't have floor matts
Old 05-16-2013, 07:26 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by turbosmart4
When this happens to me its because of my floor mat getting on the way
Here, you forgot these [sarcasm][/sarcasm]

All seriousness though, that sounds like a fried ECU or on it's way to being there.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Definitely not a common problem.
there was a power steering recall do you know if it has been taken care of on this car?
Do you still have any warranty?
Old 05-16-2013, 07:37 PM

thats funny. mine is an 2006 and its doing the same thing...power steering message just came on a few days ago, and just recently it wouldnt start. battery and clutch posisition siwtich is good.

i was going to replace the starter tomorrow, and take it in for the recall monday.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:41 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrhdpaintball
thats funny. mine is an 2006 and its doing the same thing...power steering message just came on a few days ago, and just recently it wouldnt start. battery and clutch posisition siwtich is good.

i was going to replace the starter tomorrow, and take it in for the recall monday.
Is the CEL light flickering like in his video? That's the reason I'm saying it's the ECU.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by LNFTX
Definitely not a common problem.
there was a power steering recall do you know if it has been taken care of on this car?
Do you still have any warranty?
I had the power steering recall done a while ago.

Originally Posted by YelloEye

All seriousness though, that sounds like a fried ECU or on it's way to being there.
I still have time left on my power train warranty. I wonder if the ECU is covered under that.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:23 PM

Check out your alternator first...

Mine went two weeks ago (stranding me at Road America, at that...) and my power steering was the first thing affected when it went, power steering message and all. I've had the recall done.

New alt is in, and the steering is fantastic.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:03 PM

Oh wow no cel flickering. Nothing on actually, just the power steering message.

Did you check the clutch switch too.? You can bypass the switch by un plugging the switch and putting a paperclip between the two pins inside the connector.mdont keep it there long just testing reasons.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by amwworks
Hello all!

Last night I took a small cruise in my 09 SS/TC. She was running like a champ so I decided to put some fresh glass in her. I pulled in the gas station filled her up with 93 hopped back in turned the key in the ignition and nothing. All of the dash light s cut of and she didn't attempt to turn over. Now keep in mind. A couple of weeks ago I put a brand new battery in. I got out checked the battery post to make sure everything was tight and it was. I hopped back in and tried to starts her again. This time my check engine light was flashing and it read POWER STEERING on the dash. Still no start. So I pulled out my portable scanner and it read "operations error". After I tried to start in again. This time it turned over with no check engine light but wouldn't start. I disconnected the batter for ten minutes and tried in again. No go. I just sat there pissed about to call AAA then I decided to turn it over again and started!

The only mods I've done is stage 1 and a k&n intake. What gives! Is this a common problem. Has this happened to anyone else. I can seem to recreate the problem. I scared to drive it and be stranded again. There a video I took of the dash while it was acting crazy.
pretty sure ur problem is that Fresh Glass u put into her, I don't know if u liquefied it to melting point or what, but either way, cars don't respond well to liquid or solid glass in their fuel system. probably have to take everything apart and get that glass out of the lines, tank, pumps and motor. just get a new car, cheaper and easier. lol
Old 05-16-2013, 09:30 PM

Any other suggestions
Old 05-16-2013, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by tomj77
pretty sure ur problem is that Fresh Glass u put into her, I don't know if u liquefied it to melting point or what, but either way, cars don't respond well to liquid or solid glass in their fuel system. probably have to take everything apart and get that glass out of the lines, tank, pumps and motor. just get a new car, cheaper and easier. lol
I typed that whole thing from my phone. Damn autocorrect!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm on mobile so I do not know how to post links but if you search for your problems using Google there are a couple of threads on this site with your common problems and most of them seem to surround a bad ground wire or short
Old 05-16-2013, 09:47 PM

Oh wow no cel flickering. Nothing on actually, just the power steering message.

Did you check the clutch switch too.? You can bypass the switch by un plugging the switch and putting a paperclip between the two pins inside the connector.mdont keep it there long just testing reasons.
No I haven't checked the clutch switch. I'll do that when I get off. Another thing is I haven't been about to recreate it either. It starts right up now
Old 05-16-2013, 11:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you mean to tell me you havent tried the good old pull the positive off the battery and reset it ?
Old 05-16-2013, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by PrincessTurbo
you mean to tell me you havent tried the good old pull the positive off the battery and reset it ?
He said he unplugged it 10 minutes and nothing.. Sounds like a serious issue. Something you did messed it up if it was running perfectly.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just so you're aware you can just pull both leads touch them together for 10 seconds and it accomplishes the same thing.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by dieGone
He said he unplugged it 10 minutes and nothing.. Sounds like a serious issue. Something you did messed it up if it was running perfectly.
I only put gas in it. I don't think a fresh fill up will cause this problem. This was random. I tried starting it today and it starts right up. No codes or freeze data.

Originally Posted by andrewcarr1993
Just so you're aware you can just pull both leads touch them together for 10 seconds and it accomplishes the same thing.
Nice to know
Old 05-17-2013, 12:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
check fuses. crank fuse especially. happened to me twice and car would shut off and show power steering. the crank fuse wasnt sitting properly
Old 05-17-2013, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by southal cobalt
check fuses. crank fuse especially. happened to me twice and car would shut off and show power steering. the crank fuse wasnt sitting properly
I check all the fuses under the hood and everything was good.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
I typed that whole thing from my phone. Damn autocorrect!
Lol I feel ur pain
Old 05-17-2013, 04:31 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
I check all the fuses under the hood and everything was good.

Did you check with a fuse tester or just looking at it?
Old 05-17-2013, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by blackonblack07

Did you check with a fuse tester or just looking at it?
Fuse tester

Quick Reply: POWER STEERING? No START?