2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Really need help me vs dealer

Old 06-12-2012, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another thread about the evap purge solenoid?!
Old 06-13-2012, 02:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 08baltSS
I wouldn't mind doing this at all, but i don't have any of the stock parts nor do i know where to get the car tuned back to stock. Everything that is on the car was installed by the previous owner whom i do not know. If anyone on here knows of someone that sold and 08 lnf with these mods and 30k miles on it that is from the pottstown, pa area then that would be awesome, but my guess is no one does .
Run a boost leak test first, then report back. It's the first step. We'll go from there if you don't find anything.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:14 PM

Reviving the dead thread :)

Alright guys, it's been many months, 16k miles, and 1 semi accident (hit a cat a 65mph ) since my first post, but i am finally working on the car ! I know, I know, i should have been working on it long before now, but i am very busy (once again i know its not the best excuse). You will be happy to hear that i did build a boost leak tester the other day and tested my car! At 20 psi there wasn't a peep, but when we turned it up to 25 psi there was a loud scream coming from down in the drivers side bumper area. Conveniently when i hit the cat it cracked the bumper and rip out the holes that connect the bumper cover to the inner fender so i got a new one and it is going on this Friday! While i have the car on the lift I am also going to replace the inner fender, fog light, and passenger side side skirt (accidentally ran over a curb while pulling out of a parking stall yes it was a really dumb move, but didn't hurt much other then my pride and a scrape on the side skirt). Also, since the bumper cover will obviously be off I will re do the boost leak test and find/fix all leaks (best/ most common spots to check other then everywhere?)! So just to catch you up, the fuel trims are still WAY off (usually ltft is around 15 - 24 and stft is around -5 - 5), car has developed an oil leak in the usual spot (near the hpfp / oil filter area) that I will hopefully have fixed by the dealer after Friday (not sure if they will warranty it or not since im tuned and what not, but isn't there a service bulletin about it?), but other then this the car is still the same and I still love it no matter how angry it tries to make me and im hoping that fixing the boost leak(s) will help resolve my issues . Just wanted to let you guys know what's up and that I'm still out here and appreciate all of your help/advice !

P.S. Anyone know where I can find an OEM side skirt for an 08 ss?

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 11-18-2012, 11:37 PM

Alright guys, it's been many months, 16k miles, and 1 semi accident (hit a cat a 65mph ) since my first post, but i am finally working on the car ! I know, I know, i should have been working on it long before now, but i am very busy (once again i know its not the best excuse). You will be happy to hear that i did build a boost leak tester the other day and tested my car! At 20 psi there wasn't a peep, but when we turned it up to 25 psi there was a loud scream coming from down in the drivers side bumper area. Conveniently when i hit the cat it cracked the bumper and rip out the holes that connect the bumper cover to the inner fender so i got a new one and it is going on this Friday! While i have the car on the lift I am also going to replace the inner fender, fog light, and passenger side side skirt (accidentally ran over a curb while pulling out of a parking stall yes it was a really dumb move, but didn't hurt much other then my pride and a scrape on the side skirt). Also, since the bumper cover will obviously be off I will re do the boost leak test and find/fix all leaks (best/ most common spots to check other then everywhere?)! So just to catch you up, the fuel trims are still WAY off (usually ltft is around 15 - 24 and stft is around -5 - 5), car has developed an oil leak in the usual spot (near the hpfp / oil filter area) that I will hopefully have fixed by the dealer after Friday (not sure if they will warranty it or not since im tuned and what not, but isn't there a service bulletin about it?), but other then this the car is still the same and I still love it no matter how angry it tries to make me and im hoping that fixing the boost leak(s) will help resolve my issues . Just wanted to let you guys know what's up and that I'm still out here and appreciate all of your help/advice !

P.S. Anyone know where I can find an OEM side skirt for an 08 ss?

Thanks,
Dustin
yeah, fix your boost leak. just basically when your doing the test, run the full length from the turbo and all the charge pipes and to the tb and make sure you don't feel or hear anything leaking. your car will be alot better after that and get rid of most if not all your codes, also look into a new maf, you said in one post it was a little low, and these are easy to go out if they get wet.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:51 PM

Hey, thanks for the quick reply! I also had another question, i noticed that my car has the stock map sensor and i have read up quite a bit on people that say you do or don't need a 3 bar map sensor so since i have my car tuned to ~21 psi + should i get a 3 bar map sensor or not?

Thanks guys!,
Dustin
Old 11-19-2012, 12:19 AM

Hey, thanks for the quick reply! I also had another question, i noticed that my car has the stock map sensor and i have read up quite a bit on people that say you do or don't need a 3 bar map sensor so since i have my car tuned to ~21 psi + should i get a 3 bar map sensor or not?

Thanks guys!,
Dustin
yeah, get a 3 bar, iirc 2 bar is only good to 18lbs or so, so it your computer isn't able to see that your engine is over 18lbs,
Old 11-19-2012, 01:04 AM

Wait no but if he got the new sensors then he would have to be returned for it I think. And as long as the tuner knows what he's doing then the stock sensors are fine. I'm trifecta tuned with stock sensors at 23 pounds and running perfectly.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by roadrunner132
Wait no but if he got the new sensors then he would have to be returned for it I think. And as long as the tuner knows what he's doing then the stock sensors are fine. I'm trifecta tuned with stock sensors at 23 pounds and running perfectly.
Hey, thanks for the response! This is the problem i keep running into when reading into this topic, some people say yes, some say no. As far as getting re-tuned, that could be an option after I get my current problems fixed. I do not know who tuned the car or how it was tuned because I bought it tuned and I do not know who the previous owner is.
P.S. just wondering has anyone heard of the speed density tune that trifecta has out? I know boost leaks are a problem, but for sanity sake would getting my car tuned like this help resolve problems like a bad MAF or boost leaks? Not saying that I am not going to fix them, just wondering if this is a reliable option for the future.

Thanks!,
Dustin
Old 11-19-2012, 02:23 AM

yes, you can be tuned with stock map sensors and run just fine at that boost, your trifecta tune is probably more on the safe side though, and his in more on the aggressive side which is why he could be having some of his problems. I"m not saying thats the problem, I"m just saying it could be.

Hey, thanks for the response! This is the problem i keep running into when reading into this topic, some people say yes, some say no. As far as getting re-tuned, that could be an option after I get my current problems fixed. I do not know who tuned the car or how it was tuned because I bought it tuned and I do not know who the previous owner is.
P.S. just wondering has anyone heard of the speed density tune that trifecta has out? I know boost leaks are a problem, but for sanity sake would getting my car tuned like this help resolve problems like a bad MAF or boost leaks? Not saying that I am not going to fix them, just wondering if this is a reliable option for the future.

Thanks!,
Dustin

As I sated above, yes it could be a problem with your tune, but you need to get all the boost leaks fixed, and check and make sure you don't have any exhaust leaks from the exhaust manifold to your downpipe, I highly doubt any of the aftermarket parts are causing your problems.

speed density from what I know is nice cause when your traveling and hit different temp and elevations, it lets the computer adjust more to compensate it, and I believe you can just get rid of your maf. downfall is its more for wide open throttle adjustments than how you would drive every day. thats just what I got from 10 mins of google on the idea a few months ago. I'd try it honestly, its a toss up on if the benifits out weigh the bad things about it.

the tuner issue, not that big a deal, trifecta is a good tuner for the price, if y
our planning on doing more mods to your car, deffently look into hp tuners and check out some of the tuning threads on here, and talk to some of the tuners like ccss3, area47, thats all I can think of right now though, sorry, theirs a bunch though,
Old 11-19-2012, 11:47 AM

Thanks, you have been very helpful!
So i have to ask 2 more questions:
1) Is there really anyway for me to find out whether I am trifecta or HP tuned?
2) Does anyone know where I can find an OEM side skirt for and 08 cobalt ss? Dang curbs lol.
Thanks for the input guys!,
Dustin
Old 11-19-2012, 04:59 PM

Drive it with cruise control on. See what boost goes to. And then try with cruise control off. If its different then you have trifecta.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:07 PM

body moldings, bout 100 a piece from gm parts direct

19120059 left side
19120060 right side

they will just need to be painted,
Old 11-19-2012, 07:07 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Drive it with cruise control on. See what boost goes to. And then try with cruise control off. If its different then you have trifecta.
there's no guarantee he has a switchable tune. Tune could also be switched by the traction control button. If he's making more than 15 psi without doing anything special, he could still be running either.

Only way to check for sure is to hook up HP tuners and see if you can read the tune. If it's unreadable, it's a trifecta tune.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by brian.olsson
body moldings, bout 100 a piece from gm parts direct

19120059 left side
19120060 right side

they will just need to be painted,
Hey thanks man, that's exactly what I'm looking for! Not to bad of a price either.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by TommyP
there's no guarantee he has a switchable tune. Tune could also be switched by the traction control button. If he's making more than 15 psi without doing anything special, he could still be running either.

Only way to check for sure is to hook up HP tuners and see if you can read the tune. If it's unreadable, it's a trifecta tune.
Thanks man!,
I do not have HP tuners so i guess that isn't an option, but if I ever run into someone that has it I'll be sure to have them check. Also, you are correct, it doesn't matter whether i have cruise on or off or traction on or off it is always the same amount of boost so I guess it could still be either company.

Replies are always read and appreciated!
Thanks,
Dustin
Old 11-20-2012, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dustin, did the cat survive? Anyway, if you're boosting above 22ish psi, it would be a great idea to get the 3 bar sensors. In that manner, you're ECM will be able to give you the right amount of fuel. Safety comes to mind.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by prevsrt4owner
Dustin, did the cat survive? Anyway, if you're boosting above 22ish psi, it would be a great idea to get the 3 bar sensors. In that manner, you're ECM will be able to give you the right amount of fuel. Safety comes to mind.
Haha, absolutely not! That cat lost the battle big time. Luckily it was just a farm cat since I live in Amish country, so I didn't mangle anyone's pet or anything. Normally I would have felt bad for the cat, but the $1200 it cause in damage made me more angry at the cat then sad... Oh and I'm not exactly sure what boost I am at lol, when I first got the car I seem to remember it spiking 23-24 and holding 21-22, but right now it will only spike about 21.5 and hold 20 ish.

P.S. while I am on the subject of fixing my car, I am in need of either a passenger side strut mount, axle, control arm or one of a few other things that I can't think of at the moment. I need one or more of these things since my passenger side front has been making a loud scratching/popping noise during very low speed turns(<10mph). Any suggestions on brands or part numbers or anything of the sorts? My only suspension mods that I am aware of are Megan racing coil overs.

2nd P.S. today on my way to/from school my radio kept changing stations on me while I was driving, it was like it had a mind of its own. The only other problem i have had with the stereo is that it occasionally will not turn on with the car and I will have to press the power button for it to turn on (not play music, but simply just light up and show the time). Any ideas on that?

As always, Thanks guys!,
Dustin
Old 11-20-2012, 11:25 PM

Haha, absolutely not! That cat lost the battle big time. Luckily it was just a farm cat since I live in Amish country, so I didn't mangle anyone's pet or anything. Normally I would have felt bad for the cat, but the $1200 it cause in damage made me more angry at the cat then sad... Oh and I'm not exactly sure what boost I am at lol, when I first got the car I seem to remember it spiking 23-24 and holding 21-22, but right now it will only spike about 21.5 and hold 20 ish.

P.S. while I am on the subject of fixing my car, I am in need of either a passenger side strut mount, axle, control arm or one of a few other things that I can't think of at the moment. I need one or more of these things since my passenger side front has been making a loud scratching/popping noise during very low speed turns(<10mph). Any suggestions on brands or part numbers or anything of the sorts? My only suspension mods that I am aware of are Megan racing coil overs.

2nd P.S. today on my way to/from school my radio kept changing stations on me while I was driving, it was like it had a mind of its own. The only other problem i have had with the stereo is that it occasionally will not turn on with the car and I will have to press the power button for it to turn on (not play music, but simply just light up and show the time). Any ideas on that?

As always, Thanks guys!,
Dustin
For your suspension parts, if I knew excattly what part was making the noise I could get you a part number and stuff,

And your other problems, this just came to me, but have your cat checked out, that could be getting plugged up. And the crazy radio, more than likely the clok spring in the steering collumn
Old 11-21-2012, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by brian.olsson
For your suspension parts, if I knew excattly what part was making the noise I could get you a part number and stuff,

And your other problems, this just came to me, but have your cat checked out, that could be getting plugged up. And the crazy radio, more than likely the clok spring in the steering collumn
Thanks Brian!,

You are the first person to have suggested to me to check my cat out, seems like a viable option.

Thanks again,
Dustin
Old 11-21-2012, 11:51 AM

Shocker. In your case there may be direct cause, but it's almost shocking that the dealer doesn't properly try to diagnose a problem once the see after market parts (NOT!!). I'm currently fighting with a dealer over my turbo issue as they are requiring stock exhaust before they actually look at the turbo (which violates the Ross/Magnussen Law). The funny thing is, my cars' programming is bone stock as are the intake tubes and downpipe. Also a neutral 3rd party mechanic looked at my cars exhaust and aside from some soot on the gaskets could not find/hear and exhaust leak.

I already reported them to the FTC, BBB and Chevy customer service (I had to call them since Sarah never responded to my last pm I sent her)
Old 11-21-2012, 12:12 PM

Thanks Brian!,

You are the first person to have suggested to me to check my cat out, seems like a viable option.

Thanks again,
Dustin
He said, "cat." Sorry, had to!!!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by prevsrt4owner
He said, "cat." Sorry, had to!!!
I was thinking the same thing =)
Old 11-22-2012, 11:03 AM

would I have been better using a five letter word that means the same thing lol
Old 11-23-2012, 08:40 PM

Alright guys, got the new front bumper on tonight, but unfortunately we didn't have any regulated air where i went so I didn't really get to do a boost leak test, BUT I did make sure to tighten down every coupler clamp. I took the car for a little drive tonight after resseting the fuel trims and they are still way off and A/F was still varying a lot, but the car seemed to be running better then it did before. Tomorrow I will try to do another boost leak test at home and see if there are any left.

Thanks guys!,
Dustin
Old 11-24-2012, 11:58 PM

big problems

Fixed all boost leaks today, but now i drove the car around for a while then went to turn it back on and it barely runs. My aeroforce gauge shows misfires on all cylinders and the car shakes really bad what happened?
Thanks guys, Dustin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Really need help me vs dealer