Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LNF Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/)
-   -   Upgrade from GM coming soon! (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/upgrade-gm-coming-soon-134001/)

agentsmith23 09-18-2008 08:54 PM

Upgrade from GM coming soon!

I haven't been around this site too much since I traded in my 2006 SS/NA for a 2008 HHR SS so you may know this already. Anyway yesterday one of the members of chevyhhr.net posted this info:

"This message was released today by GM.

Subject: SPO - Bulletin ACC08-030 - LNF Turbo Upgrade Kits for Solstice, Sky and HHR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, HUMMER, Pontiac (including MD) and Saturn

DESCRIPTION:

The new warranty labor operation code R9224 is to be used for warranty claims on all Turbo Upgrade Kit components for Solstice, Sky and HHR. This warranty code also includes HHR utilizing the Turbo Kit with an automatic transmission. This does not include SAAB products.

EFFECTIVE DATE:

Immediately

There was an email address attached and so I sent a message asking what this was. The reply stated this is an upgrade kit to take these vehicles to 290 hp and more information would be coming shortly. Nice."

"This is for a kit that we are getting ready to release for the Sky Redline, Solstice GXP, HHR SS, Cobalt SS, and Ion Redline. It will be a turbo upgrade kit for all of the 2.0l Turbo LNF engines. It will raise the HP on these cars from 260-290hp. Keep watching for the release.

I then asked was this stage 1 and would other stages be released?

The email answer back was:

There is only one stage planned at this point."

JCswoosher2 09-18-2008 08:56 PM

Nice find

pimpnwink 09-18-2008 08:56 PM

is it a turbo up grade or a reflash i know more info will come but still that is the main question.

No offense to you though but unless you proof it, its not happening lol..

agentsmith23 09-18-2008 08:58 PM

here is a link to the chevyhhr.net thread http://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18315

The guy works at a chevy dealership, I believe him!

djkaloci2009 09-18-2008 08:59 PM

I will ask when we go to the plant tour and see what they say and post it up.

silverfae7 09-18-2008 08:59 PM

I can confirm this. I just looked it up.

BLAZIN07SS 09-18-2008 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by pimpnwink (Post 2900749)
is it a turbo up grade or a reflash i know more info will come but still that is the main question.

No offense to you though but unless you proof it, its not happening lol..

its pretty much gonna happen already. its a reflash which ups the boost and replaces a couple sensors for the upped boost. the tune already got its C.A.R.B certification to be used in all 50 states so this should be coming out shortly

z24sport 09-18-2008 11:03 PM

Any guesses on how much this is gonna cost?

C0baltWithM0ds 09-19-2008 03:01 PM

probalyy around the same as stage 2.. 1100 - 1800 pending on how cool your dealer is or i could be totally off and they may want 2500 idk but if they want to sell there aftermarket i thiunk the first numbers are fair

40rty 09-19-2008 06:30 PM

Nice find, kinda skeptical but I will now visit my dealer and ask if they have heard of anything. Thanks

Darcy 09-19-2008 07:23 PM

Omg I Want

R&C_rallySS 09-19-2008 07:29 PM

If its over 900+ bucks imo its a huge rip off. How can a set of sensors and a flash cost that much. At least for the SS/SC you got injectors, pulley, belt, and a flash. I'm not bashing the kit, I'm bashing the price. I hope it is a real thing for the SS/TC owners.

MARIN007 09-21-2008 01:50 AM

Awesome news

El_diablos_SS/TC 09-21-2008 06:30 AM

Man I thought this was a "TURBO" upgrade. Shit I could just buy the senors and get the PPC from Hahn

blackbird 09-21-2008 07:02 AM

It is a turbo upgrade in as far as it's increasing the amount of boost the stock turbocharger is producing, although it is worded poorly. Chrysler was no better in their Stage 1 and 2 kits for the Neon SRT-4 and also called them "turbo upgrade kits" even though they retained the stock MHI 16g turbo. As far as I know the BSR PPC flash doesn't use or require upgraded sensors which makes me curious how the actual output will compare to the GM kit or if GM has some other stuff in store down the road that may require new sensors (unlikely from what's been stated by a few people so far). I need to get my hands on a service manual or some other info as I'm curious what the limits of the stock MAF/MAP are as used on the LNF.

suburbanrobot 09-21-2008 08:02 AM

damn....that's a nice upgrade

El_diablos_SS/TC 09-21-2008 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by blackbird (Post 2908692)
It is a turbo upgrade in as far as it's increasing the amount of boost the stock turbocharger is producing, although it is worded poorly. Chrysler was no better in their Stage 1 and 2 kits for the Neon SRT-4 and also called them "turbo upgrade kits" even though they retained the stock MHI 16g turbo. As far as I know the BSR PPC flash doesn't use or require upgraded sensors which makes me curious how the actual output will compare to the GM kit or if GM has some other stuff in store down the road that may require new sensors (unlikely from what's been stated by a few people so far). I need to get my hands on a service manual or some other info as I'm curious what the limits of the stock MAF/MAP are as used on the LNF.

And would the senors effect the BSR tune? or could this make it get a better tune out of it.

peachpuff 09-21-2008 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by El_diablos_SS/TC (Post 2908676)
Man I thought this was a "TURBO" upgrade. Shit I could just buy the senors and get the PPC from Hahn

The ppc wont recognize the sensors or the operating system.

blackbird 09-21-2008 10:00 AM

You wouldn't want to install the wrong sensors on the car. The engine calibration has to be programmed for the sensor characteristics otherwise it can't accurately calculate how much air is going into the engine and can't compute things like required fuel and timing to run. For example, if you installed upgraded sensors that can read higher air mass flow and pressure but left the factory calibration or used the BSR flash (which is designed for the factory sensors), the computer's programming would think you have less air mass coming into the engine than you really do and run it leaner. That could potentially damage or even kill an engine.

BowTieTillIdie 09-21-2008 06:31 PM

I wouldnt pay 1200 for it

No way man 1200 estimated cost .. I would rather get other aftermarket mods and keep a stock PCM handy ..

Just me ....

Smallywood 09-21-2008 07:09 PM

I am excited to see some news, however the stage 2 upgrade was a better increase over the 30 hp expected, 290 is awesome, but hey, wheres the 350? :cssNET:

foff667 09-21-2008 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by R&C_rallySS (Post 2905078)
If its over 900+ bucks imo its a huge rip off. How can a set of sensors and a flash cost that much. At least for the SS/SC you got injectors, pulley, belt, and a flash. I'm not bashing the kit, I'm bashing the price. I hope it is a real thing for the SS/TC owners.

If what I read is true the price sounds pretty reasonable for what it is, extra hp, you keep your factory warranty & is carb certified. Most any aftermarket setup you loose two of those three things. carb certification costs alot of $ & time on GM's part so for the most part they are probably trying to recoup some of those costs at a minimum.

Just my .02

ionREDLINEracer 09-21-2008 10:40 PM

Kinda confused as to why it says Ion Redline in there too.

krispy 09-22-2008 11:34 AM

yea, the Ion RL in there doesn't make much sense

Acey 09-22-2008 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by agentsmith23 (Post 2900734)
"This is for a kit that we are getting ready to release for the Sky Redline, Solstice GXP, HHR SS, Cobalt SS, and Ion Redline. It will be a turbo upgrade kit for all of the 2.0l Turbo LNF engines. It will raise the HP on these cars from 260-290hp. Keep watching for the release.

http://blog.pharmalive.com/wp-conten...8/06/o_rly.jpg