2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Where does Bypass valve air return to

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where does Bypass valve air return to

I have spent hours looking for a diagram so i didn't have to ask this question .....but couldn't find **** on our turbo . So my question is this ........Where does the bypassed air from our bypass valve go when it recirculates? Maybe i've been looking to hard for something right in front of me but ......Its driving me crazy no being able to figure out where the bypassed air is routed . Thanks for any info.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Banned

i figured it was internally routed to the intake side of the turbo. i guess im not 100% sure and would like to know this also.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:33 PM

my butt
Old 10-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by slowbalt84
my butt
It makes sense ..... compressed air and all . I'd believe it if you had a hose running from your ass to your mouth (recirculate) but i'd imagine your Ass vents to atmosphere .....Maybe i'm wrong thou hehe.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm too JDM for you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
back to the intake, hense why the BPV gets louder when you change the intake to an aftermarket one
Old 10-11-2009, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
back to the intake, hense why the BPV gets louder when you change the intake to an aftermarket one

I thought that too but after looking at the routing of the breather line that connects between the air box and the turbo.......that line runs from the valve cover . Would they release the pressure into the valve cover and back out to the intake?
Old 10-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slowbalt84
my butt
i wasnt even close
Old 10-12-2009, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by rukkee
I thought that too but after looking at the routing of the breather line that connects between the air box and the turbo.......that line runs from the valve cover . Would they release the pressure into the valve cover and back out to the intake?
It is actually routed right to the before the intake side of the compressor wheel. And, the line that goes to the valve cover is also right before the intake side of the compressor wheel. I am not sure if the air vents back to the valve cover from the turbo or not. BUT, I did notice that once when i had the fitting off the intake (when I broke the little nipple), there was an arrow pointing AWAY from the intake toward the valve cover, and on that fitting is a little check valve. It seems that it only wants to allow air to go TO the valve cover...

who'da thunk a spare turbo would come in handy so much, lol:
This is the uncompressed side of the turbo. Here you can see the holes from the BPV, and the line that goes to the valve cover.

And this is the compressed side of the turbo. Here you can see the hole that leads the air through the bypass valve, showing that it is obviously internally routed.

As for what the line does exactly, and which way it flows... I haven't a clue. I am still trying to dig and find it.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by mkriebs
It is actually routed right to the before the intake side of the compressor wheel. And, the line that goes to the valve cover is also right before the intake side of the compressor wheel. I am not sure if the air vents back to the valve cover from the turbo or not. BUT, I did notice that once when i had the fitting off the intake (when I broke the little nipple), there was an arrow pointing AWAY from the intake toward the valve cover, and on that fitting is a little check valve. It seems that it only wants to allow air to go TO the valve cover...

This is the uncompressed side of the turbo. Here you can see the holes from the BPV, and the line that goes to the valve cover.

And this is the compressed side of the turbo. Here you can see the hole that leads the air through the bypass valve, showing that it is obviously internally routed.

As for what the line does exactly, and which way it flows... I haven't a clue. I am still trying to dig and find it.

omg this is awsome news...keep us updated
Old 10-12-2009, 03:11 AM

OMG, please edit the pics out of your quote.

And yes, I will. If I had a couple wrenches in my bedroom, I would take off the cover to the BPV, but I am supposed to be doing homework, lol.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OMG, please edit the pics out of your quote.

And yes, I will. If I had a couple wrenches in my bedroom, I would take off the cover to the BPV, but I am supposed to be doing homework, lol.
Hey I know there has been alot of different answers to which ko4 we have. What does that blue tag on that have for a model number?
Old 10-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Premium Member

Awesome PIC's ..... I literally searched for ones like these for hours . Thank you very much for posting them.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:20 PM

No problem, I hope they helped. You work at a dealer, right? Do they have a PCV diagram?
Old 10-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Premium Member

No problem, I hope they helped. You work at a dealer, right? Do they have a PCV diagram?
Nope but i have access to GM service information and GMVIS . I'll look in SI for the diagram. When i was looking for diagram's all I found were drawing's that are confusing as hell.

After looking at your pic's and the GM drawing ......It must blow off into the Valve Cover (camshaft cover ) ..... then it flows back out another PCV line back into the intake. I'm really surprised by that .

Now someone who is brave needs to route it direct from the turbo to the intake lol. I really have no idea what would happen to the rest of the pcv system thou .

Last edited by rukkee; 10-13-2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:16 AM

If you look under that little yellow piece where the vacum line goes in you can see the route the air takes when the bypass valve opens. Those are good pictures. I wounder if there is any possible gains from porting our factory turbo??? that thing has some pretty small inlet and outlet holes... and not very aerodynamic or flow worthy designed

The above is not how it works

It is directly shot back into your air intake before the turbo. Like i said above if you remove the yellow cover where the vacume line goes in you will pull out the BPV. it will have a litttle spring and plunger type piece. then you can see where the air runs back into the intake/pre turbo. the air actually blows back out your air filter. thats why our BPVs are so quiet on out cars. The valve just releases the pressure in the piping into your air intake.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:37 AM

What silverbullet said, it just shoots the metered air back into the turbos inlet. Billion cars out there with release valves built onto the compressor housing like this

Car just happens to have two PCV valve cover breathers, one with a check valve and one without. The one without is close to the release valve port for packaging reasons. That is also another common feature of most turbocharged vehicles.

Not worth posting, but just hit google and start reseaching PCV systems for turbocharged cars and it'll all make sense why they're configured like that.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:02 AM
Premium Member

I found a better pic.......

Old 10-13-2009, 01:26 AM

Yah, thats normal PCV routing. The hose off the turbo is the fresh air supply, the one going to the intake tube with the check valve is the blow-by. Good diagram though, I'll shuffle that into my gallery. The BPV isnt the source of the fresh air though, its drawn in on its own. You wouldnt want to force pressure into the PCV system, because then you'd have a lot of fun keeping oil behind the seals and would negate the entire purpose of trying to relieve POSITIVE crank case pressure (thus the name).
Old 10-13-2009, 01:29 AM

Now... I am quite sure i only have one line, lol.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:31 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Gimpster
Yah, thats normal PCV routing. The hose off the turbo is the fresh air supply, the one going to the intake tube with the check valve is the blow-by. Good diagram though, I'll shuffle that into my gallery. The BPV isnt the source of the fresh air though, its drawn in on its own. You wouldnt want to force pressure into the PCV system, because then you'd have a lot of fun keeping oil behind the seals and would negate the entire purpose of trying to relieve POSITIVE crank case pressure (thus the name).
That makes sense ..... I can't imagine they would want to dump air like that into the motor . Start popping dipsticks out and crap like that lol.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:37 AM

On your valve cover, look at the passenger side DIRECTLY behind the VVT sensors immediatly left of the coil pack. You should see another braided hose on a 90* heading into the compressor housing.

Now... I am quite sure i only have one line, lol.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by rukkee

ok maybe this is a dumb question, but wouldn't it be difficult for the fresh air source to be supplied from the line that close to the compressor inlet? there's an awfull lot of negative pressure and air velocity that close to the wheel. even when not under boost, it seems to me there would be too much air flow running past the pvc opening to encourage much air flow. unless the valve train somehow pulls air through. just wondering out loud. its obvious by the GM diagram that's how it works
Old 10-13-2009, 04:09 AM

This is speculation... but I think that if the crankcase build a negative pressure, it gets its air from the line that goes to the turbo, and if it builds a positive pressure, it sends the air back to the intake. Sounds about right in my head.

Now, what would happen if we put a big turbo on? Do all turbos have PCV line outlets?
Old 10-13-2009, 09:35 AM

Nope, you'd have to put one on the intake pipe at the inlet... which is USUALLY where they are anyway.

Now, what would happen if we put a big turbo on? Do all turbos have PCV line outlets?
Old 10-13-2009, 05:02 PM

subscribed