2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

ZZP Builds The Best LNF Mod Ever!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tax refunds are the best when left in the bank and spend during the summer for upgrades, i have a funny feeling ZZP is coming out with more stuff.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by elecblue06
not to mention i has your turbo on my 2.4 and so far it's doing well.. there were 2 cracks in the twin scroll housing but that was it

bnr's 2871 supposedly spools a couple hundred rpms later then stock

no one has posted sheets yet
This is great news for you and other people considering a stock K04 swap. Its nice to know there is a real option to go past the capiblities of the K04 and now have to start over with the rest of the setup.

Originally Posted by terry11
^^^Lol! Just read all 9 pages of this and now... I hate my lsj. Just sitting here thinking how fast I can swap an ebay turbo, bov, and wastegate on it and sell it to some kid that thinks 350hp is fast
Do hate your lsj. Just keep in mind there are many upgrade options for you!
Old 03-18-2011, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by swazzees
thanks for qwik reply.

my thoughts a little more in depth.............................

by the turbo
add it to the car, don't buy anything else unless it s a clutch and we can all understand that.
don't add anything else......

go see an amazing tuner
run a lower boost.........lets say 18 to 21 psi.
Im thinking there has to be a perfect effeciency range for this turbo and I would guess not @ 27 psi.......lol
but the lower boost would be easier on the stock parts like charge tubes for example......

does this sound normal??? like make 400 hp out of it without stress on the car because of the lower boost settings?
That would really be the way to go here...despite all *reasurances*. A stock set up... even with pipes, clutch and IC will not survive very long over 425 WHP. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by gone_in_10_sec
Tax refunds are the best when left in the bank and spend during the summer for upgrades, i have a funny feeling ZZP is coming out with more stuff.
Tax money was already allocated to this upgrade. ZZP is coming out with more stuff for sure. As soon as their LNF cams are available as a standalone package, Im buying those from ZZP too
Old 03-18-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by cmiller8006
I have to see that to believe it. Its not a foreign manufacturer.

The SAAB trans isn't from Sweden . Uhhh what ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F35_(MU3)_transmission

SRT4 guys have a fully built trans from them and thats a Mitsu part in an American shell , whats so different about this application , because it's not Japan Inc.?
Old 03-18-2011, 03:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PrincessTurbo

F35 (MU3) transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SRT4 guys have a fully built trans from them and thats a Mitsu part in an American shell , whats so different about this application , because it's not Japan Inc.?
One thing, you cant take wiki seriously. It is a horrible site to get proper and correct info. And yep Shep wont do the f35 tranny, some of the people here have tried many times. So me a link to where a srt shep trans is at
Old 03-18-2011, 04:28 PM

One thing, you cant take wiki seriously. It is a horrible site to get proper and correct info. And yep Shep wont do the f35 tranny, some of the people here have tried many times. So me a link to where a srt shep trans is at
I'm sure most are aware of that.

99% of the information on that wiki page is legit...

He used and adapter for a 1g but the old post had been deleted, still an adapter or anything they come up with would be a life saver right now.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by ronn
That would really be the way to go here...despite all *reasurances*. A stock set up... even with pipes, clutch and IC will not survive very long over 425 WHP. Just my 2 cents.
Makes sense to me aswell....
Its hard to believe that at anyting around 400 hp that the car would be a great street driver.

I want to be at 400 hp and just need a clutch and that is it.

I want it to be a great DD still

this sounds liek a perfect option for me and I hope not too expensive.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:18 PM

I'm sure most are aware of that.

99% of the information on that wiki page is legit...

He used and adapter for a 1g but the old post had been deleted, still an adapter or anything they come up with would be a life saver right now.
Cobalt & Ion ---> ZZ Performance
Old 03-18-2011, 08:49 PM

Arrow Zzp we need more toys!!

Originally Posted by cubaniche
Tax money was already allocated to this upgrade. ZZP is coming out with more stuff for sure. As soon as their LNF cams are available as a standalone package, Im buying those from ZZP too
I'm in for cams too, plus a few other toys too..
Old 03-18-2011, 08:54 PM

F35 (MU3) transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

F35 tranny oil "Fill for Life" sweet!! Hey GM!! tell me what happens when the tranny overheats?

For fact it's 99% accurate, some of the folks who post either work for GM or got there info from GM..
Old 03-19-2011, 02:55 AM
MTE

Originally Posted by Fastgti69 View Post
So this turbo bolt on is pretty much for ppl that already have all bolt ons so they dont have to purchase the WHOLE TURBO KIT, instead just this turbo cause they have supporting mods already.

and you're still leaving the option open for the s252 if ppl just want to get the kit all at once..?

if so this sounds like the best thing in the market. I want to first max out the k04 and for sure this upgrade IS NEXT. Awesome things are coming along right when i got this car, damn it feels good to mod.
Originally Posted by Matt M
Yes, you are correct on your description.
O Wow, I for sure will be getting this once its out. Time to start saving.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:33 AM

I'm in! There WILL be one of these on my solstice. I understand production is a ways off, but i have cash NOW and ready to go.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:55 AM

I am real new to the cobalt world so this is prob a noob question question but do they make this for the 2.2L? becuz if Borg does I can get this for free.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:19 AM

This might be exactly what I needed to see to make me change my mind about leaving the stock turbo alone lol!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:45 PM

Matt, you guys at ZZP are awesome! I cant wait till you guys release this! I have one problem. Back when I was in flight training (Nov 2009) I bought all HAHN “bolt ons” :-( (My bad. At the time I did not know you guys existed, if I did I would have bought from you all ).

So, will the new EFR turbo work with Hahn cold air intake, charged air pipes, and down pipes?

PS….yeah yeah yeah I know I over paid for my parts. Lol I was impatient.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ronn2005
Matt, you guys at ZZP are awesome! I cant wait till you guys release this! I have one problem. Back when I was in flight training (Nov 2009) I bought all HAHN “bolt ons” :-( (My bad. At the time I did not know you guys existed, if I did I would have bought from you all ).

So, will the new EFR turbo work with Hahn cold air intake, charged air pipes, and down pipes?

PS….yeah yeah yeah I know I over paid for my parts. Lol I was impatient.
theyll all work. I also have all Hahn parts that I bough in january of 09, it was about all that was out at the time for aftermarket parts. lol! But they said the intake might need some modifying but it shouldnt need much.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by eccarwiz
I am real new to the cobalt world so this is prob a noob question question but do they make this for the 2.2L? becuz if Borg does I can get this for free.
2 things what part of ct are you from? my gf lives in guilford and you'd have to get the stock ss/tc setup.. of you can get it for free for me and i'll pay you some bux lol
Old 03-21-2011, 01:36 PM

Thanks for the info. Turbo'dSS. Good to know it should work with any intake with a little modification.

One thing about ZZP's EFR has me bummed a little. I don't exactly understand why they went with a single scroll instead of a twin scroll. I thought a twin scroll would spool up a little faster and get a little more HP/TQ.
I remember reading that ZZP said it was only a slight difference, but wouldn't the twin scroll EFR be worth it?
Old 03-21-2011, 01:40 PM

Thanks for the info. Turbo'dSS. Good to know it should work with any intake with a little modification.

One thing about ZZP's EFR has me bummed a little. I don't exactly understand why they went with a single scroll instead of a twin scroll. I thought a twin scroll would spool up a little faster and get a little more HP/TQ.
I remember reading that ZZP said it was only a slight difference, but still wouldn't the twin scroll be worth the effort?
i think that single scroll was the only option they had for right now. not 100% sure on that though. but it shouldnt be much of a difference in spool up, maybe like 500rpms tops difference, but with the EFR it already spools fast enough that if it spools any faster youll never get traction! lol! I was a lil bummed it wasnt twinscroll too, but for the power its capable of ill deal with it only being single scroll! lol!
Old 03-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember reading that ZZP said it was only a slight difference, but wouldn't the twin scroll EFR be worth it?
It would easily add 10 to 20k more up front cost to the project based on the development cost on a twin-scroll exhaust housing casting. Not many people would want to pay a few hundred dollars more to spool a hair quicker on a turbo that already spools very easily.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo'dSS
i think that single scroll was the only option they had for right now. not 100% sure on that though. but it shouldnt be much of a difference in spool up, maybe like 500rpms tops difference, but with the EFR it already spools fast enough that if it spools any faster youll never get traction! lol! I was a lil bummed it wasnt twinscroll too, but for the power its capable of ill deal with it only being single scroll! lol!
It's definitely not 500 RPM difference. The last dyno chart shows 20 lbs of boost at 3200 RPM. Remember, this is on a turbo that made well over 500whp. Looking for 20psi at 2700 rpm on a 500+ whp turbo is unrealistic. I would expect twin scroll to spool 100 rpm sooner.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:23 PM

Ive never seen the inside of a LNF exhaust manifold but would it be possible to grind out the divider or is it not worth messing with?
Old 03-21-2011, 04:44 PM

No, the Neon SRT-4's T-850 transaxle was designed for Chrysler and built by New Venture Gear (Magna/New Process) initially for use in the high-torque European turbo-diesel minivans and later in the SRT-4. It has plenty of support from the aftermarket as-is (input shafts, shift fork upgrades, etc.) and doesn't need to run a Mitsubishi transaxle. There's also swaps to Chrysler's older three-speed A413/auto that are popular with serious drag racers.

Originally Posted by 09BlueBaltSS
Ive never seen the inside of a LNF exhaust manifold but would it be possible to grind out the divider or is it not worth messing with?
There really isn't too much of an issue running a conventional, single-scroll turbine housing on a divided manifold. You potentially do more harm to exhaust flow and create turbulence by trying to modify the stock manifold. A twin-scroll manifold and matching housing can be slightly more efficient in transferring exhaust energy to the turbine wheel but you're usually talking a matter of single digit percentages. By the way, here's a GM Media picture of the stock manifold (warning: ~2 MB file size).

Back to the thread, very nice power band and numbers so far. I've been keeping an eye on these turbochargers and having a stock-ish looking bolt-on turbo that requires minimal additional modifications to support that type of power might have me some day going against my plan to keep the Cobalt near stock.

Last edited by blackbird; 03-21-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:32 PM

ok, so now i can justify buying a used SKY or solstice

Quick Reply: ZZP Builds The Best LNF Mod Ever!