2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Cam regrind on F/I

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam regrind on F/I

So I've looked for perf. parts all over the net and came to gmgoodwrench's site and saw you can get intake and exhaust camshaft "blanks" for $75 a piece. Now, in my mx6 V6 the cam can add quite a bit of power, and from what I've come to understand is that on an F/I motor it can really make some power.

Are the specs out for these cams? Anyone in the cavy world have experience with reground cams, and who ground them...what kind of power did you get? I'll be new to F/I, so I just wanna learn everything there is to know. Plus, I think we need to get some more performance threads goin, hehe.

-Adam-
Old 11-15-2004, 09:25 PM
Premium Member

I can't help you with any cam specs, and I'll be new to F/I as well, but I agree it's a good idea to get some more performance threads going. I wanna learn from everyone else as much as possible so that I'll be ready to do the right tuning when I get a new car!
Old 11-15-2004, 10:05 PM

'bout time somebody said something.

anyone else?
Old 11-16-2004, 05:00 PM

well i contacted crower cams and they said they will if there is demand. so seeing as in how gm is fully supporting the engine i dont see why there wont be demand for cams. hopefully next year crower will develop some. or gm offers some one or the other. some mild cam's for us cali folks that still need to pass smog.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:37 PM

don't be surprised if JBP (Jbody performance - www.jbodyperformance.com) makes some cams for the LSJ; they have regrinds out now for the LD9(2.4 twin cam) and eco, apparently they're excellent - 22Whp gain on the 2.4, and a gain of at least 3 at every single rpm, not a specific range.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by adjat84th
So I've looked for perf. parts all over the net and came to gmgoodwrench's site and saw you can get intake and exhaust camshaft "blanks" for $75 a piece. Now, in my mx6 V6 the cam can add quite a bit of power, and from what I've come to understand is that on an F/I motor it can really make some power.

Are the specs out for these cams? Anyone in the cavy world have experience with reground cams, and who ground them...what kind of power did you get? I'll be new to F/I, so I just wanna learn everything there is to know. Plus, I think we need to get some more performance threads goin, hehe.

-Adam-
Typically in a F/I cam you want a LSA (Lobe Seperatin Angle) to be somewhat far apart. I Don't know what the specs are on the 2.2 Supercharge cam but it has a very wide LSA. If you wanted more power you would have to close the LSA gap but if you did it to much you would have overlap and it would bleed of the boost made by the FI unit.

The only time you want a tight LSA is when your drag racing and want all top end. As the LSA gets closer its narrows the power band;however, in the smaller band more power is made. Rough idle, power surge, more emissions, rumble like sound (thats why certain V8's sound like they are hardly running), etc are common factors when dealing with a tight LSA.

On the LS1 motor (the motor i know the most about in my moderate knowledge) the stock cam specs are 119 degree LSA. FI guys, depending on application, go anywhere from 116-113. 113 causes some overlap but in drag racing a little boost bleed off is exceptable. Especially if you are running above 3-4K after launch;moreover, meaning low end grunt isn't needed. All motor guys run anywhere from 114 (for street use and emission passing purposes) to 108 (for the extream racer). I am sure something beyond that has happened for high reving all race motors but I don't have a huge knowledge on LS1 race cars.

Some people get reverse split cams which means that instead of the exhaust lobe having a longer duration (time the lobe is open to close) the intake will have a longer duration. Good for FI since more air is coming but with nitrous the exhaust should typically be a few degrees more then the intake to allow all the gases to escape.

When looking at cam specs look at LSA,duration, and lift. Don't go by name and don't go by what someone else says because what is streetable to one person is not acceptable to another. Most people get custom grinds for their special needs and possibly should be looked into. All in all, cam shafts shouldn't be added right away.

Cams will alter the way the car drives so just don't jump into right away. While doing Cams I say get the head,intake, blower, and possibly TB ported. This would cost money of course but if you want to do it all at once just save and then splurg.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by buymeac5vette
Typically in a F/I cam you want a LSA (Lobe Seperatin Angle) to be somewhat far apart. I Don't know what the specs are on the 2.2 Supercharge cam but it has a very wide LSA. If you wanted more power you would have to close the LSA gap but if you did it to much you would have overlap and it would bleed of the boost made by the FI unit.

The only time you want a tight LSA is when your drag racing and want all top end. As the LSA gets closer its narrows the power band;however, in the smaller band more power is made. Rough idle, power surge, more emissions, rumble like sound (thats why certain V8's sound like they are hardly running), etc are common factors when dealing with a tight LSA.

On the LS1 motor (the motor i know the most about in my moderate knowledge) the stock cam specs are 119 degree LSA. FI guys, depending on application, go anywhere from 116-113. 113 causes some overlap but in drag racing a little boost bleed off is exceptable. Especially if you are running above 3-4K after launch;moreover, meaning low end grunt isn't needed. All motor guys run anywhere from 114 (for street use and emission passing purposes) to 108 (for the extream racer). I am sure something beyond that has happened for high reving all race motors but I don't have a huge knowledge on LS1 race cars.

Some people get reverse split cams which means that instead of the exhaust lobe having a longer duration (time the lobe is open to close) the intake will have a longer duration. Good for FI since more air is coming but with nitrous the exhaust should typically be a few degrees more then the intake to allow all the gases to escape.

When looking at cam specs look at LSA,duration, and lift. Don't go by name and don't go by what someone else says because what is streetable to one person is not acceptable to another. Most people get custom grinds for their special needs and possibly should be looked into. All in all, cam shafts shouldn't be added right away.

Cams will alter the way the car drives so just don't jump into right away. While doing Cams I say get the head,intake, blower, and possibly TB ported. This would cost money of course but if you want to do it all at once just save and then splurg.
very credible advice. nice.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:21 PM

Cams

As many years as I have been building engines from 600cc bikes to 500ci blown BB Chevys on nitro one thing has stayed the same..... I leave the cam design and grinding to the experts!

Howards, Engle, Isky, Web or Crower. It depended on the engine that I was building as to who got the call. With the Eco-Tec my blanks would go to Web. Though Crower has jumped right in there in the Sport Compact market and I'm sure they would have some great grinds.

One thing you have to remember when having a custom cam ground for your engine, your engine specs need to stay the same. In other words you shouldn't have a cam ground for your header and intake upgrade and expect the same grind to work when you port the head etc. The cam may become extremely inefficiant at this point, again depending on the grind you had done in the first place.

Food for thought.

RC
Old 12-31-2009, 03:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I want to bump old threads too.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
update?
Old 12-31-2009, 03:34 AM

lol at 1,000 views and 10 replies
Old 12-31-2009, 03:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sundevil07
lol at 1,000 views and 10 replies
still no good LSJ cams that work with stock lifter lol
Old 12-31-2009, 03:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spike
still no good LSJ cams that work with stock lifter lol
True story
Old 12-31-2009, 04:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well, **** the stock lifter. If you want to build a drag car that revs to 8k rpms (which it seems that most do), then the stock hydraulic lifters aren't what you should be using anyways.

Now does anyone have any info on any success with a specific grind for our ecotec motors? I'm talking about a pretty aggressive cam that is taking advantage of the flow. Stock lift is .395 and duration is relatively mild. I'd like to see a .500-.600 lift cam with some more duration. BLah blah blah, the low end will suffer, but if you are reving to 8k, then you don't need a powerband of 3k-8k.

Personally, I'd like to a have a cam that comes on pretty strong right about 4500 or so and carries all the way to 8k.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:25 AM

so old! but dang its funny. ditch the factory lifters anyway. its no fun when you collapse them and throw rockers. that makes for a lot of damage. been there, done that.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ralliartist
I'd like to see a .500-.600 lift cam with some more duration. .
Holy **** dude, .600, really? I have never seen any production cam for the ECO that has more than about .485, and that is an pretty savage cam that makes a Comp STG3 or HKS 272 seem like a tame street cam.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
comp has blower grings for our engines just send them blanks and they will grind
Old 12-31-2009, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
Holy **** dude, .600, really? I have never seen any production cam for the ECO that has more than about .485, and that is an pretty savage cam that makes a Comp STG3 or HKS 272 seem like a tame street cam.
Ralli talking s***t pulling numbers out of his a***. is all.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:05 PM

hmmmm
Old 12-31-2009, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by qwikredline
Ralli talking s***t pulling numbers out of his a***. is all.
word lmao