2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Car Pulling to the right.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Pulling to the right.

I am having an issue with the cobalt pulling to the right. I thought it was alignment so I took it to a trustworthy alignment guy, he found nothing at all.... told me to change the tire (nitto 555 wasted inside).. so I bought a new Nitto 555 and put it on. he balanced it for me and redid the alignement..... problem still stands.... he checked the struts, axles (which I told him I had stage 1 axles not even a year old). Everything checked out fine, mechanic says he doesn't see anything wrong with the car, that it might be a transmission pull.

Now I am turning to the pros.... Anyone got any ideas????
Old 09-21-2011, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bad brake hose?

take your car for a ride, adn when you get back see if the right front wheel seems alot hotter than the left front.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
hold the wheel to the left.

jk, our steering columns are complete **** maybe check that area out?
Old 09-21-2011, 06:32 PM

well if they aligned it right, it should go straight. at this point it leads me to believe that it is not in the steering system itself.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Road camber? Bad CABs? Strut mount bearing seized? Do you experience memory steer? Like if you go around a turn say 30mph and let go of the wheel does it self center? Because it should. And a bad strut mount bearing will cause the car to pull.. Each time you hit a bump your car is going to go one way or the other and if your strut mount bearing is seized it is obviously going to move the wheel and not self-center it. There are so many imperfections in the road and I think most people overlook this problem on the Cobalt.. It is a very commonly replaced part.

Stock CABs in bad condition will throw off your caster, as will a bad strut mount bearing.

Did you try switching the front 2 wheels.. Switch the driver and passenger side with each-other?

That's about all I have.. If your toe is fine, it's obviously something else.. The only thing left is caster really.. Camber doesn't get out of whack TOO much, even when lowered.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by LS6Rally
bad brake hose?

take your car for a ride, and when you get back see if the right front wheel seems a lot hotter than the left front.
LOL besides the fact that I burnt my finger for testing..... nope the are both kind of the same hotness.

Originally Posted by riceburner
hold the wheel to the left.

jk, our steering columns are complete **** maybe check that area out?
I don't need to hold it to the left... it goes straight when u have it straight =)

Originally Posted by LS6Rally
well if they aligned it right, it should go straight. at this point it leads me to believe that it is not in the steering system itself.
Yeah... let's see what it can be...

Originally Posted by xxxxsh4d0wxxxx
Road camber? Bad CABs? Strut mount bearing seized? Do you experience memory steer? Like if you go around a turn say 30mph and let go of the wheel does it self center? Because it should. And a bad strut mount bearing will cause the car to pull.. Each time you hit a bump your car is going to go one way or the other and if your strut mount bearing is seized it is obviously going to move the wheel and not self-center it. There are so many imperfections in the road and I think most people overlook this problem on the Cobalt.. It is a very commonly replaced part.

Stock CABs in bad condition will throw off your caster, as will a bad strut mount bearing.

Did you try switching the front 2 wheels.. Switch the driver and passenger side with each-other?

That's about all I have.. If your toe is fine, it's obviously something else.. The only thing left is caster really.. Camber doesn't get out of whack TOO much, even when lowered.
Ok my mechanic read all of these posts and said that mostly it all had to do with aligning.... The car is aligned right... When ur driving and u hold the wheel straight the car goes straight... the problem is that the car pulls to the right when u let go of the steering wheel. Also I've noticed that the steering turns to the right about and inch or 2 but it just stays there... it doesn't keep turning.

The alignment guy said that it might have to do with the transmission... He says that maybe the transmission has a problem and makes the car pull to the right. Do any of u know or think that is possible??? And how would I check if it's true??? If not, what else can be the problem???

Thanks for the help guys really appreciate it.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dynamico
LOL besides the fact that I burnt my finger for testing..... nope the are both kind of the same hotness.

I don't need to hold it to the left... it goes straight when u have it straight =)

Yeah... let's see what it can be...

Ok my mechanic read all of these posts and said that mostly it all had to do with aligning.... The car is aligned right... When ur driving and u hold the wheel straight the car goes straight... the problem is that the car pulls to the right when u let go of the steering wheel. Also I've noticed that the steering turns to the right about and inch or 2 but it just stays there... it doesn't keep turning.

The alignment guy said that it might have to do with the transmission... He says that maybe the transmission has a problem and makes the car pull to the right. Do any of u know or think that is possible??? And how would I check if it's true??? If not, what else can be the problem???

Thanks for the help guys really appreciate it.
Strut mount bearing.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by xxxxsh4d0wxxxx
Strut mount bearing.
Haven't checked that so I am going to...

Any other suggestions???
Old 09-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Former Vendor

Outer tie-rods. We just had a car here that pulled back and forth, we jacked it up and the tie rods were totally shot.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:18 AM

hey guys am having this problem too and just happenned right after i swapped tires from back to front. what exactly is the tie rod? and how do i fix this?