2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Clutch slip test. I have new info!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 12:43 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Badmunky
Ok guys Im at the dealre adn have some info for you.
1st. The clutch master cylinder and the lines are all the same parts as the 2.2L and 2.4L cars.
So if the problem was in these parts all cobalt should be having the problem not just the SS S/C.
2nd. The SS S/C gets a diferant slave cylinder then the other cars do. And Im thinking the problem is right here.
3rd The clutch line is 2 pices adn a T fiting thing with a bleader in it.
4th. There is some kind of thin spacer the gose in betwean the trans and the motor.
If you changed your clutch adn did not put this back in the tec ses it could be a problem.

There changing my master cylinder right now.
Im not sure how long this will take but they have had the car for about 30 min now and its looking like I will not get it back for about another 1-1.5 hours.

Later
Thanks for the updates Badmunky, keep us posted.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump.

Anything new happen?
Old 06-15-2006, 03:43 PM
p7x

Badmunky? anything? my master's getting fixed tmrw
Old 06-15-2006, 03:47 PM

they did my master cylinder and it did nothing i think most of the gm mechanics are lost as to what is the problem
Old 06-15-2006, 04:23 PM

The only time my clutch slips is the 1st-2nd shift. As you said it is not consistant. I was racing some hot chick in a TSI last night. We went from a few lights and every time I could floor first get to redline and shift and it would grip instantly. Usually a pretty hard thud, and I even chirped shifting into second. Bottom line is I whooped her ass every time we went, but no slippage what so ever. Now a few nights ago I was showing my friend my car and went from a light and got to redline shifted and it grabbed but it took a while for the engine RPMS to catch to the clutch. (I assume this is slipage) Basically after a shift it winds down before starting to wind up. As soon as you let go of the gas it will catch and your good to go, but this is annoying sometimes. Its not consistant and really makes me wonder.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:33 PM
p7x

Originally Posted by SSCobalt~SSZ24
they did my master cylinder and it did nothing i think most of the gm mechanics are lost as to what is the problem
I think badmunky might be on to something with the slave cylinder I have already check the dealer to see how much it costs. This problem is getting real shitty, I will know for sure tmrw
Old 06-15-2006, 04:35 PM

Mine has actually slipped from 2nd to 3rd but only at the racetrack did it once or twice has not done it since, I have 32000km on my car and everyday driving, the clutch does not slip nor does it slip when i hammer it in first....tires spin and the front end hops alot so i dont do it often but i was trying to fiqure out if i had some of these issues...so far nothing really...!

P.S This is my first Manual Car, Knew how to drive one (was an Emissions Tester for Two years), but never really drove one on the road only on dynos until this one... So my experience is limited...
Old 06-15-2006, 04:58 PM
p7x

Originally Posted by kissmySS
Mine has actually slipped from 2nd to 3rd but only at the racetrack did it once or twice has not done it since, I have 32000km on my car and everyday driving, the clutch does not slip nor does it slip when i hammer it in first....tires spin and the front end hops alot so i dont do it often but i was trying to fiqure out if i had some of these issues...so far nothing really...!

P.S This is my first Manual Car, Knew how to drive one (was an Emissions Tester for Two years), but never really drove one on the road only on dynos until this one... So my experience is limited...
Same with mine but when I punch it in second and shift into third between 6-7000 rpm and punch it again it will slip. If I give it a 1/2 sec than punch it its ok but it pisses me off because I have to drive the car different(slower) than what I have come accustomed to
Old 06-15-2006, 05:09 PM

Yes, it think it's the slave cylinder also. I will explain my issues. I have no slippage from 1st to 2nd, then I will be in WOT and feel very little power as the RPMs rise in 2nd. Then suddenly around 5000 RPM, it's like being rear-ended! I will get out of the car and smell the tell tale burn! This does not seem to happen back to back either. Once I get the slam and burn it will work fine for the rest of the night! This doesn't happen everytime either. At first I thought my boost by-pass valve was sticking open, until I smelled the burn. The 2nd thing I am noticing. Everyday I go to start my car for the first time, as I engage the clutch before turning the key, I hear a faint crunching sound. This only happens after sitting for a lenghtly time. 8 hours, plus! It would be nice to get more input from GM to what the problem is but they seem to be in denial, go figure!
Old 06-16-2006, 09:29 PM

Ok guys Im at the dealre adn have some info for you.
1st. The clutch master cylinder and the lines are all the same parts as the 2.2L and 2.4L cars.
So if the problem was in these parts all cobalt should be having the problem not just the SS S/C.
2nd. The SS S/C gets a diferant slave cylinder then the other cars do. And Im thinking the problem is right here.
3rd The clutch line is 2 pices adn a T fiting thing with a bleader in it.
4th. There is some kind of thin spacer the gose in betwean the trans and the motor.
If you changed your clutch adn did not put this back in the tec ses it could be a problem.

There changing my master cylinder right now.
Im not sure how long this will take but they have had the car for about 30 min now and its looking like I will not get it back for about another 1-1.5 hours.

Later
wait wait..... so our Cobalt SS/SC has the same lines as the 2.2L and the 2.4L? could that also add to the problem bc our cars have more HP. or does that have nothing to do with it?
Old 06-18-2006, 09:12 PM
p7x

Master cylinder got replaced and it helped the situation but the clutch is still slipping. Looks like Im going to have to see if I can get the slave cylinder replaced. Either way this looks like its evertually going to be an expensive fix. Don't know about this year looking more like next spring when I'll be fixing this problem.

Currently it only slipped 1 time in about 20-30 2-3 shifts. If I alter my shifting a lil bit I can get it to not slip but it means going a lil slower in races.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:17 PM

so when they replaced the master cylinder, they bled the mc...but did they bleed at the bleeder fitting down the line? this is a huge problems with 2zz corolla XRS' with the same exact symptoms.... seen many swapped at 12-15k
Old 06-18-2006, 10:37 PM

bump
Old 06-19-2006, 08:04 PM

how do you know when your clutch is slipping? how does it feel? just wondering because i ve nevered experienced it before (or if i had, i couldnt tell?)
Old 06-19-2006, 09:14 PM
p7x

Originally Posted by artawesome
how do you know when your clutch is slipping? how does it feel? just wondering because i ve nevered experienced it before (or if i had, i couldnt tell?)
U'll know it when the rpms go up and the car isnt going any faster. Or if the rpm needle goes one way and the speedo needle goes the other way.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by p7x
U'll know it when the rpms go up and the car isnt going any faster. Or if the rpm needle goes one way and the speedo needle goes the other way.
so its like reving the engine in neutral or with the clutch in.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:32 PM
p7x

Originally Posted by artawesome
so its like reving the engine in neutral or with the clutch in.
ya kinda. Ok, imagine driving down the highway in whatever gear and you punch it.....and the rpms fly up but the car doesnt accelerate.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by p7x
ya kinda. Ok, imagine driving down the highway in whatever gear and you punch it.....and the rpms fly up but the car doesnt accelerate.
ouch!!!ok, my car hasnt done that yet
Old 06-23-2006, 09:32 PM

Ok I have some new info guys. It seams that the tecs at my dealer think that the slave cylinder is holding a vary small amount of air in it even after they bleed it several times.
And that with fast shifting the fluid is airating and slowing the clutch engagement and thats making it slip.

They are working on a fix for me and I have to take the car in as soon as I get home.
They are going to do some testing and let me and GM know what they find and then we might get the problem fixed.

Later

Last edited by Badmunky; 07-02-2006 at 02:58 AM.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok I have some new info guys. It seams that the tecs at my dealer think that the slave cylinder is holing a vary small amount of air in it even after they bleed it several times.
And that with fast shiftin the fluid is airating and slowing the clutch engagement and thats making it slip.

They are working on a fix for me and I have to take the car in as soon as I get home.
They are going to do some testing and let me and GM know what they find and then we might get the problem fixed.

Later
go for it. but that hardly sounds like a release problem. more like an disengagement problem of the clutch.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:26 AM
Fail Less.

thinking about printing this thread and taking it with me to the dealership on the outside chance they might do something for the problem...

*tired of the SS/SC problems and wishing i bought a 2.4 SS automatic*
Old 06-26-2006, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by codyss
Anyone who thinks the Cobalt clutch hyraulics suck should go drive a 1998-1999 F-Body.

GM put a screen in the hose that goes to the slave cylinder so that the fluid would have some restriction to prevent driveline shock. The clutch is normal until a nice fast shift, then it gets really squishy since it foams the fluid then it engages in different spots or gets stuck to the floor!

I have a feelling that the hydraulics on the SS/SC are either to weak or there is a similar restriction in the lines.
99-00 you mean. The best fix for that was to get a Z06 Master Slave assembly.

Hope GM will admit fault on this one. Most unlikely though. They usually will tell you: "Well its your fault for racing it in the first place."
Old 06-26-2006, 02:10 AM

Ummm no offense man but Im pretty sure I already posted a fix ,with pictures, straight from the guys that build the GM Cup Cars. I dont think your EVER gonna find a better fix than that.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:27 PM

Alpha, post up that thread again.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Fail Less.

yes, please post the link to the fix thread. i missed it GM is really pissing me off with the failing parts on this car. minor stuff, but still an annoyance

Quick Reply: Clutch slip test. I have new info!