2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Clutch slip test. I have new info!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well my car is 2 days old and it does this also from 1-2 gear iam going to print this out and take it to my engineers at the mercadies plant were i work and see what they say
Old 07-02-2006, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by AlphaJaguar5
Ummm no offense man but Im pretty sure I already posted a fix ,with pictures, straight from the guys that build the GM Cup Cars. I dont think your EVER gonna find a better fix than that.
Yes you did. And wew thank you for that man.
I would like a bit more info then your post had and some under hood shots to though.

Im working on a fix that we dont have to pay for and that GM will still warranty.

The car gose to the dealer on thursday.

Ill keep you guys posted on what happens.

Later
Old 07-02-2006, 12:53 AM

Thanks for doing alot of the legwork for us badmunky. The more threads I read about our clutches the more I feel like I just got screwed over... It's so damn frustrating to buy a performance car and have such a crappy clutch stock.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:23 AM

Heres the thread:

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/solution-clutch-problems-22739/
Old 07-02-2006, 02:30 AM

was this a serious post? do you know what a clutch is or how it works?
Old 07-02-2006, 02:57 AM

Yes I do. Do you?^ Cuzz your post has no point at all to it.

The clutch on the cobalt SS S/C has a problem that we need fixed adn Im working to find a fix for us.

The big problem is that we are not sure if the clutch is the problem or if its in the hydrolics.

When we find the part that is the problem we can take this to GM and see about geting it fixed right so that every one can have a car the performs the way its supposed to.

Later
Old 07-03-2006, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Badmunky
Yes I do. Do you?^ Cuzz your post has no point at all to it.

The clutch on the cobalt SS S/C has a problem that we need fixed adn Im working to find a fix for us.

The big problem is that we are not sure if the clutch is the problem or if its in the hydrolics.

When we find the part that is the problem we can take this to GM and see about geting it fixed right so that every one can have a car the performs the way its supposed to.

Later
How does my post have no point to it. I was just being a smartass to the original post. i know our stock clutch isnt great, in fact it kinda sucks. My post made sense, it was only 2 short sentences. But thanks for working on our clutch if it means n e thing, im looking forward to an answer
Old 07-03-2006, 03:15 PM

powershifting is not bad for the car as long as u dont do it all the time. its actually less stress on the clutch than than slipping it.
Originally Posted by Vmango
Man, if you guys are power-shifting, I would only assume that this would cause problems with the tranny/clutch? Is power-shifting not fairly bad for your car?

Thanks for the info though, I'd like to hear what GM says. I'm waiting to get stage II until all this clutch nonsense is figured out.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by cobss187
How does my post have no point to it. I was just being a smartass to the original post. i know our stock clutch isnt great, in fact it kinda sucks. My post made sense, it was only 2 short sentences. But thanks for working on our clutch if it means n e thing, im looking forward to an answer
Im working on it. But it takes time.

Car gose in tomarrow.

Later
Old 07-13-2006, 02:01 PM

BUMP FOR THIS. I want to see what the problem is before I buy one monday!
Old 07-13-2006, 02:46 PM

Results badmunky?
Old 07-16-2006, 09:17 PM

Any new news on this, i'm on my second stock clutch and it's slipping after 2000 miles. I don't want to fork over money to get an aftermarket one if a fix is in the making.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:39 PM

Well at this point I have the car back and all I ahve to say is F**k tinney automotive and F**k GM!

They said that a red line shift is not normal driving and they will not fix the car.
And that Im lucky they dont void my warrenty all to gether.

At this point the only thing that I can think of that we can do to get the problem fixed is a class action law sute and alot of bad publicity for GM to get some attention to the problem.

I dont have the cash or the resosrse to do this my self and dont know how to set one up.
Im probably going to sell my car at this point after I get it fixed and stip all the parts off it that I have added.
Im not 100% on this yet but thats waht its looking like for me atleast.

Im going to talk to my lawer and see what can be done but I dont think I will have the cash to do much if anyhting.
And I realy dont think that the Cobalt comunity is going to help with the bill.

Later.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:38 PM

Sorry but I highly doubt anything can be done. I'm willing to bet that you will get the same response from just about any GM stealership. GM has lost it and they will never get it back due to **** poor management! The best thing GM could do is allow itself to be bought out by a Euro or Japanese automaker . We may never have to worry about simple problems like this because the other 2 above examples do not shortcut engineering like GM does! It's sad what has become with GM! I still love my Cobalt regardless.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same kinda thing happened to me but with my rims, they said its the way i clean them that causes them to peel, idiots, now i gotta fork out the cash during the winter, watever though its all good i guess, sorry bout yer car man, GM sometimes **** the hell right outta me.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:22 PM

UPDATE:
I talked to a GM rep today and they are going to contact the dealer tomarrow to talk to them about the problem.
I also talked to my lawer and he is not willing to take the case but did point me in the right direction to one that might.
im going to talk to him tomarrow.

I had a local trans shop come to the house today and take the car for a drive agen. "They have drive it befor when the problem first started"
They said that the clutch is definatly going out and that they will give me a writen statment to that afect.

Im not sure what els to do at this point other then a full law sute.

Dose any one knoe of any place that might help with this?
Im going to be talking to the BBB to see if they can help us.

Any info would help guys.

Later
Old 08-04-2006, 11:54 AM

any updates?
Old 08-04-2006, 12:24 PM

ok when u mean power shift does that mean holding the gas down when u shift or do u release it?

lmk plz
Old 08-04-2006, 01:01 PM

No I release it when shifting.

I have changed dealers and the new one has told me that Im not driving the car hard enuff and im glazing the clutch, this is making it slip whne I do drive the car hard.

Iv been told to shift at a higher RPM in normal driving and to stop trying to be so smooth with the clutch in normal driving.
I was shifting at 2,500-2,700 RPM most of the time. Iv been told to take that to 2,800-3,200 RPM.

I have been doing this now for a week and my clutch has almost stoped slipping compleatly at this time.

Sins I started driving it like this I have only had it slip one time and it was vary miner.

Ill keep you updated as I find out more.

Later
Old 08-04-2006, 01:09 PM
thc

i slam second gear in my car all day w/ no slip, but my bro has an ss also and he slips everytime he hits second.
i shift at 5900rpm he shifts at redline tried shifting earlier in his car and still did it
Old 08-04-2006, 01:17 PM

that makes sense.. i mean if you shift at like 2500 or less all the time, your probably are glazing it????? I have a different car, but I shift at like 3250 everytime.. and above.. ive never slipped once.. thats how i plan to shift in the cobalt ss when i get it ...
Old 08-04-2006, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by SS4ME
Sorry but I highly doubt anything can be done. I'm willing to bet that you will get the same response from just about any GM stealership. GM has lost it and they will never get it back due to **** poor management! The best thing GM could do is allow itself to be bought out by a Euro or Japanese automaker . We may never have to worry about simple problems like this because the other 2 above examples do not shortcut engineering like GM does! It's sad what has become with GM! I still love my Cobalt regardless.
That's why Toyota is number 1 in recall's this year

I don't have an answer for your problems but if you want another company to buy out GM and have 100,000+ people loose their jobs that's your opinion and your intitled to it.

BTW try getting any manufacturer to still warranty your car if they know you are racing it.
Seems to me that GM has been better than most at that kind of stuff.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:18 PM

Thanks for all the legwork badmunky. But alot of guys over at "the other cobalt site" have actually replaced the stock clutch with a spec stage 2+ or stage 3 clutch. After a proper brake in of about 1000 or so miles, they say that the entire clutch slippage problem is gone.

It seems that spec has discovered what the problem is and includes all the necessary parts to eradicate the slippage. So with the driving technique that you suggested combined with a higher-end clutch, the problem should never present itself again.

My car did not have clutch slippage stock, but the day i got stage 2 put on it my clutch is TERRIBLE! I plan on getting a stage 2+ clutch in the near future so hopefully that will work for me also.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:24 PM

Im thinking of geting a new clutch my self but with only 7,300 miles on the car there should be no clutch problems.

Im hopeing that driving it the way Iv been told will help with the problem.

As far as spec finding the problem I have not herd of this yet. The only thing I had herd about spec was that there clutches where not holding any beter then the stockers did. But that was months ago and I had not seen any thing on them sins.

Later
Old 08-04-2006, 02:35 PM

so when driving normal we should shift are cars between 2.800 and 3.200 to save the clutch?

Quick Reply: Clutch slip test. I have new info!