2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

cracked trans case, broken axle... wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 07 lsj has been great for me still rolling on the stock clutch too with no slip your definately beating your car to hell
Old 09-21-2011, 07:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Wheel hop kit with different half shafts will help. One of the reasons for the wheel hop is the tortional stiffness o the 1/2 shafts. If the half shafts are not stiff enough they wind up like a rubberband and when it gets too wound up it releases by the hop. Engine mounts are also involved in the equation. I suggest starting with the Wheel-Hop Kit 19211782 availble from Crate Engine Depot or any GM Performance Parts Dealer. This kit is about a 90% fix and is very "streetable"

If you are racing you can eliminate wheel hop by going to solid engine/trans mounts and the axle shafts but the noise and vibration in the car is unbearable for every day driving.

Just a note to save money, time and frustration, If you feel a wheel hop back off the throttle. It only take a couple of hops to damage the trans and the damage can be cumulative meaning 2 hops today and one hop tomorrow may cause a cracked transmission.

Bill
Old 09-21-2011, 08:01 AM

these people are trying to help you with in the box answers. the solution that all the previous fwd gm drag racers came up with was to swap out the manual for an automatic built to take the grunt. the torque converter applies power much more smoothly than a clutch ever could. then there is also the issue of the solid mounts and upgraded control arms. the zzp control arms will cut down on wheel hop as will upgrading to lnf hubs and axles. but your not going to get around the fact that there are better autos out there for this car than manuals. get ready to break out a welder though, some fabrication may be required. then of course lets really attack whats going wrong here, your car is way to heavy. stereo? dash panels? if you plan to race, your car should look like a race car. gauge cluster and steering coloum, no other interior of any kind. fiberglass hood and trunk lid. manual windows and door locks. no sunroof. youll find the less your car weights the faster and more reliably it launches. then of course, real drag rims and tires. rim no bigger than 16 inches wrapped in bfgoodrich drag radials should make a big impact. no stereo or speakers at all, remove the stock seats and install light weight racing seats with a 5 point harness. then of course, no more than 2 seats. your asking how to make it so this crap never happens again. here is the answer. if you want a race car, build a race car. if you want to race a stock car, get ready to bleed money day after day and lose to real race cars over and over.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
My 06 LSJ has been great. Just a few minor problems. I agree with you about interior, that is my number 1 complaint with this car. but for 10 grand I didn't expect a Mercedes.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by SprChrg4Life
thanks leafy, at least i'm not alone in my though process. as for the abuse i put on my car, sure i drive it hard. "ridiculous things" is a bit of an overstatement, i simply take cloverleafs stupid fast and then floor it as i exit to roast both the tires up and burn a bit through 3rd til around 80mph or so when they hook back up, it's a blast.

i have a good time in my car, i rip 0-90 several times a day, and regularly hit triple digit mph a few times a week. engine is rock solid and passes compression and leakdown testing. i just can't stand the lack of quality, ntm my dealer lying to me. they said if i get gm stage 2, they will not warranty it.

thats a great post you made.

Good job making sure everyone on this site doesnt buy your car when you put it for sale hahahaahahah
Old 09-21-2011, 12:48 PM

WHEEL HOP ISNT CURED BY MORE THROTTLE.....ESPECIALLY IN THE SNOW. i dont understand how this made sense to you. look i have no traction lets floor it and see if we can hook up. what did you think was gonna happen. have you been under your car and seen the toothpick axels we have how did you think thoes were gonna survive? i have an 07 on my 3rd spec clutch went from 3+ to 3 and my only complaint is the chatter from the 3 puck design, but i get over it. stock axels never had a prob but thats because i understand to get it rolling then give it WOT. these cars are pointless in 1st as it is.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:02 PM

anyone else?

obviously I'm not going to sell my car on the site lol, I drive my car very hard, but that doesn't mean that it's in bad condition. That's not something for anyone to be concerned about.

enough of the "you drive your car very hard" stuff. This thread is to get info. like I said, the clutch was fine I just nuked the pressure plate when I was in the snow. Axle snapped when I went through sand then grabbed. No other car I ever drove was so susceptible to breaking. Can't any1 besides maybe one or two people acknowledge that?

Looks like next step is spherical cabs and springs. I have rims I bought, it's not practical to swap them to save a few pounds. Although, thanks for the input. Keep the lame punchlines and Jabs coming, kiddies.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by cobaltsssc760
WHEEL HOP ISNT CURED BY MORE THROTTLE.....ESPECIALLY IN THE SNOW.
I didn't launch in the snow! I got stuck and did 1st to rev over and over to rock myself out.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:31 PM

I drive mine like its rented so i wont give ya **** on that part.

i think youre heading the right direction with the LCAB's see where that takes you before you throw more money at it.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Premium Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Ill buy your bad trans for parts
Old 09-22-2011, 03:19 AM

i won't have a trans after it's done

i'm getting a rebuilt trans for my car and there is a core charge if i don't return mine, so no can do my apologies. as for driving like ya rent it... be careful! these cars are prone to blowing up.

no1 seems to have a good counter argument to my driving habits... ya see, yes there is a specific way to launch this car and every1 seems to know wtf to do like, 1/4 throttle it and roll into it eventually... but what about the fact that if u do it wrong, u may hop and break something? that still strikes me as absolutely ridiculous. a car that requires a "specific touch" to do it perfect, but if u **** up then BAM and then a bunch of little kids poke fun at you.

i will write a full write up after i get the car back and start doin some more anti hop mods. perhaps some traction bars and cab's, maybe lower the car... i used to think i was scrapping my bumper all the time, it was just that stupid flap that routes air to the stock heat exchanger, tossed that piece of crap. or is it really worth it? i don't want to waste any more $$ on this damn thing...
Old 09-22-2011, 05:49 AM

i'm getting a rebuilt trans for my car and there is a core charge if i don't return mine, so no can do my apologies. as for driving like ya rent it... be careful! these cars are prone to blowing up.

no1 seems to have a good counter argument to my driving habits... ya see, yes there is a specific way to launch this car and every1 seems to know wtf to do like, 1/4 throttle it and roll into it eventually... but what about the fact that if u do it wrong, u may hop and break something? that still strikes me as absolutely ridiculous. a car that requires a "specific touch" to do it perfect, but if u **** up then BAM and then a bunch of little kids poke fun at you.

i will write a full write up after i get the car back and start doin some more anti hop mods. perhaps some traction bars and cab's, maybe lower the car... i used to think i was scrapping my bumper all the time, it was just that stupid flap that routes air to the stock heat exchanger, tossed that piece of crap. or is it really worth it? i don't want to waste any more $$ on this damn thing...
i have a good counter arguement for your shitty driving habits... "You gotta pay to play." Now stfu fix your ****. my boy has a nsrt4 that runs 11.4 and he went thru 3 trans in 2 months. did he bitch? no he fixed it. my boy has a full-race kit k20 si. blew 2nd gear once, fixed it. did he bitch? no. i cant tell you how many dsms n vw's our car club has that has broke from driver error and car error. did they bitch? no. THEY FIXXXEDDDD IT BECAUSE SHITTT HAPPPENS. it doesnt matter what make or what model you dumbfuck. YOU GOTTA PAY TO PLAY.
YOU BROKE YOUR **** PLAYING AROUND SO ******* PAY N STFFFFUUU DELETE THIS THREAD
Old 09-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
op you bought your you are making the payments you can do with it what you like drive it how you its yours thats what other people dont get
Old 09-22-2011, 09:27 AM

I drove a SC for 3 years and I hated launching that car. The clutch feel is complete ****. I was able to launch just fine but the margin of error was pretty much nil. I had an ingalls at the very end for a couple months and it was ok, but there something about the sc that just makes them shitty cars to launch.

Most SC drivers I have run into wont run from a dig for this reason. Especially if they have no mounts/tq dampener etc. Many Many people here have snapped an axle and I have seen a few blow the trans right out at the strip.

It takes the rotated mounts, ingalls and drag radials to settle the SC down. If you have all that and you're still hopping then something is def wrong with either you car or your ability to launch.

Launching the TC is a joke. I don't use Launch Control cause it's a bit harsh. If you go from an SC to a TC you're going to find things so much easier.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS
I drove a SC for 3 years and I hated launching that car. The clutch feel is complete ****. I was able to launch just fine but the margin of error was pretty much nil. I had an ingalls at the very end for a couple months and it was ok, but there something about the sc that just makes them shitty cars to launch.

Most SC drivers I have run into wont run from a dig for this reason. Especially if they have no mounts/tq dampener etc. Many Many people here have snapped an axle and I have seen a few blow the trans right out at the strip.

It takes the rotated mounts, ingalls and drag radials to settle the SC down. If you have all that and you're still hopping then something is def wrong with either you car or your ability to launch.

Launching the TC is a joke. I don't use Launch Control cause it's a bit harsh. If you go from an SC to a TC you're going to find things so much easier.
you must run into shitty drivers... I love launching my ss/sc still on the stock clutch too no problems with mine and im on street tires and an ingalls td

uhh not really just yours...

Last edited by defo98; 09-22-2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-22-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by defo98
you must run into shitty drivers... I love launching my ss/sc still on the stock clutch too no problems with mine and im on street tires and an ingalls td
now take that ingalls off and and hop city. Most of em have no traction mods. And yes a a couple of them are excellent drivers.
Is this your first 200+ hp FWD car?
Old 09-22-2011, 03:42 PM

I'm not complaing about getting it fixed, everyone is missing that point. It's getting fixed, and then it'll continue to be modded. I just am disappointed with the trans and its ability to handle abuse. Never had a problem missing any other car, and yes this my first fwd car.

**** happens, but everyone needs to simmer down and stop being so harsh, its not polite, or necessary is it? 06, ur friend blew trannys, how much did he charge for just a handjob? :LOL:

I never said anything about launching did i? I floor it and dump the clutch to light up the tires for fun. Ban the car hops instead of spinning. **** broke. I want to stop that, that'a it. I can launch just fine, I have outlaunched new wrxs by a half car, and this kid gets low 13s on a 09 wrx non sti so he can drive, my skills r not up for debate. Enough of the negativity plz.

I'll "baby" launch it, but I shouldn't have to for fear of breaking it, that sucks. My dad races the ***** off his '11 grand sport, he's not worried about breaking **** cuz he most likely won't. Our trans is rated for 260 tq, how dismal for a car that can go way beyond that.

I'm paying, I'm playing, but I'm not hating like many of u are. I'm just frustrated, who wouldn't be? Plz stop.

Moving forward... Will springs help, or should I not bother and just do cabs and get a boost reduction in 1st? I'm in need of a new tune, the recent one runs rich, thanks ottp.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:46 PM

So what you wanted is for GM overbuild everything (which would raise the price) so you can abuse the car without it breaking?

Last edited by emiller; 09-22-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS
now take that ingalls off and and hop city. Most of em have no traction mods. And yes a a couple of them are excellent drivers.
Is this your first 200+ hp FWD car?
it is and funny thing is... first time ever at the 1/4 mile with the ingalls td I ran a 13.6 at 104.9 with no wheel hop... maybe you were just doing something wrong? Before when I was stock with just an intake and short throw I never got wheel hop. Only when I got the 2.8 did I get wheel hop and barely any it hopped once or twice ingalls td fixed that completely for me... People say they get massive wheel hop with the ingalls td stock so idk what their problem is

Last edited by defo98; 09-22-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:18 AM

like my op stated, i have 8" wide rims not the stock 7" so do the math... that's ~15% more rubber to the road. add that to the fact that i get full on tire spin when i launch... and btw lemme clear something up b4 i continue.:

when i say, "launch" every1 immediately assumes "going from a dig, racing and going as fast as possible" which would insinuate that i do not want to hop but instead get a perfect launch and off i go. NO! i'm just talking about showboating and roasting up tires being a blatant DICK. stfu in advance to any2 that then would say "well then ******* u blew up your car good job" and to that i'd say, "i know... that's why i am here with this post" i just wanted to get that out of the way...

i want to de-**** my car. no more hop, only spin, guaranteed. when i get her back, i will torque the mounts down properly and put my freakin upper solid mount back in just to make absolutely sure nothing is engine or mount related... from there i will get the spherical CABs cuz even if that doesn't help hop, the pros of having better ride feel and turn in sounds good enough to me. then ill wait til the summer and drop her a bit on whatever springs i choose.

as for overbuilding it to raise the price... think about it. an extra 5 pounds of metal on the tranny's case would stiffen it up and make it a better piece of machinery! @ .25 a pound, that's $1.50 more per cobalt. wow. that's just... ridiculous. what about the shitty 3rd gears and the gear sheering teeth?! seriously? why not make that gear as strong as 1st and 2nd gm? that isn't over engineering for "abusing it" that's just making it durable.

this was gm's 1st REAL addition to the "tuner" segment. cavi's can be made quick, but the cobalt was made with 205hp stock with kits and whatnot available not long after launch. it was in direct competition with the srt-4, which as we know beats us straight line but not on a track where our cars shine. wasn't the vice pres of gm engineering quoted as saying he couldn't believe how poor of quality the cobalt was? i can't find it but i'm sure some1 remembers.

every car breaks, ms3s have bad trans... neons blow up, subis and evos blow up too. neon's are easier and cheaper to go fast than cobalts, and their interior is only marginally worse than ours. ms3's are dogs in 1st and 2nd with that boost reduction **** in the stock tune, easy to circumvent. subis and evos are faster, but more expensive. what does our car do well?

SuperchargedSS says it's much easier to launch a TC. obviously, GM knows WTF i am talking about because they...

upgraded the axles
upgraded the mounts
upgraded the clutch
gave the car launch control (so people like me who wanna have fun won't blow **** up)

******* NO LIFT SHIFT? ok so i can powershift the car all ******* day and it's designed to do so? of course not because if it breaks, the dealer profiles u as a 27 year old guy who drives his car hard and then says **** you, pay me.

oh and, GM Stage 1 for the TC, 300+ hp? with a WARRANTY? get the **** out of here!! us SC owners got the shaft hardcore. GM upgraded every single shitty thing about the SC in the TC. over engineering, i say NO. more like, build it, have people break it to pay for the R&D to make it better. it's criminal!

it is so true when people say ":you get what you pay for" and there is a reason why this car is so ******* cheap, because it is a poor design. take a healthy powerplant and shove it in the economic car of the bunch, throw a body kit on it, decent suspension and DONE. thanks chevy.

im done trying to explain myself, it seems as though only a handful of people are receptive to it. i live on long island, there are no tracks close to me (e-town? 2 hours to race, no thanks) so i don't take this cazr to a track, ever. no car has ever sucked this much for me before, end of story. if you all keep this alive, i'll respond to defend my point but i think i've ran out of things to say...
Old 09-23-2011, 12:36 AM

Dude adding $1.50 to each car is big money. How many cobalts did they sell? Its multiple thousands, thats real money. From a design for manufacturability stand point you want to shave ever cent off the manufacture of the car that you can. Which is why the car has head bolts and not head studs, exhaust manifold bolts and not studs, etc.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:26 AM

like my op stated, i have 8" wide rims not the stock 7" so do the math... that's ~15% more rubber to the road. add that to the fact that i get full on tire spin when i launch... and btw lemme clear something up b4 i continue.:

when i say, "launch" every1 immediately assumes "going from a dig, racing and going as fast as possible" which would insinuate that i do not want to hop but instead get a perfect launch and off i go. NO! i'm just talking about showboating and roasting up tires being a blatant DICK. stfu in advance to any2 that then would say "well then ******* u blew up your car good job" and to that i'd say, "i know... that's why i am here with this post" i just wanted to get that out of the way...

i want to de-**** my car. no more hop, only spin, guaranteed. when i get her back, i will torque the mounts down properly and put my freakin upper solid mount back in just to make absolutely sure nothing is engine or mount related... from there i will get the spherical CABs cuz even if that doesn't help hop, the pros of having better ride feel and turn in sounds good enough to me. then ill wait til the summer and drop her a bit on whatever springs i choose.

as for overbuilding it to raise the price... think about it. an extra 5 pounds of metal on the tranny's case would stiffen it up and make it a better piece of machinery! @ .25 a pound, that's $1.50 more per cobalt. wow. that's just... ridiculous. what about the shitty 3rd gears and the gear sheering teeth?! seriously? why not make that gear as strong as 1st and 2nd gm? that isn't over engineering for "abusing it" that's just making it durable.

this was gm's 1st REAL addition to the "tuner" segment. cavi's can be made quick, but the cobalt was made with 205hp stock with kits and whatnot available not long after launch. it was in direct competition with the srt-4, which as we know beats us straight line but not on a track where our cars shine. wasn't the vice pres of gm engineering quoted as saying he couldn't believe how poor of quality the cobalt was? i can't find it but i'm sure some1 remembers.

every car breaks, ms3s have bad trans... neons blow up, subis and evos blow up too. neon's are easier and cheaper to go fast than cobalts, and their interior is only marginally worse than ours. ms3's are dogs in 1st and 2nd with that boost reduction **** in the stock tune, easy to circumvent. subis and evos are faster, but more expensive. what does our car do well?

SuperchargedSS says it's much easier to launch a TC. obviously, GM knows WTF i am talking about because they...

upgraded the axles
upgraded the mounts
upgraded the clutch
gave the car launch control (so people like me who wanna have fun won't blow **** up)

******* NO LIFT SHIFT? ok so i can powershift the car all ******* day and it's designed to do so? of course not because if it breaks, the dealer profiles u as a 27 year old guy who drives his car hard and then says **** you, pay me.

oh and, GM Stage 1 for the TC, 300+ hp? with a WARRANTY? get the **** out of here!! us SC owners got the shaft hardcore. GM upgraded every single shitty thing about the SC in the TC. over engineering, i say NO. more like, build it, have people break it to pay for the R&D to make it better. it's criminal!

it is so true when people say ":you get what you pay for" and there is a reason why this car is so ******* cheap, because it is a poor design. take a healthy powerplant and shove it in the economic car of the bunch, throw a body kit on it, decent suspension and DONE. thanks chevy.

im done trying to explain myself, it seems as though only a handful of people are receptive to it. i live on long island, there are no tracks close to me (e-town? 2 hours to race, no thanks) so i don't take this cazr to a track, ever. no car has ever sucked this much for me before, end of story. if you all keep this alive, i'll respond to defend my point but i think i've ran out of things to say...
Your making this sound like every cobalt has a problem... and theres tons of people still running stock parts on much more powerful setups and have had no problems... you either got a lemon or you are ******* it up yourself
Old 09-23-2011, 07:40 AM
Premium Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Somethings not installed right. I wheel hopped mine one time when I first got it and bought OTTP stage 2 mounts and an Ingals Stiffy Torque Dampner = end of problem.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:38 PM

When I first put them in, they were mint. Like I said I had a new clutch put in and I guess the shop didn't torque them down right. I work, a lot, and i didn't get to fixing em cuz I was dealing with exhaust leaks, broken flex pipes and airbag bullshit.

When she comes back, ill give her tender love and care... It's just very draining. My constant bitching as some put it, is only because this car isn't as durable as any other car I owned... With similar abuse. Ford thunderbirds were built to take it, got my v8 and my v6 sc both past 300hp no prob, stock trans no mounts nothing. It's fwd that is a problem.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:36 PM

T-bird sc you got 300 hp on a 3.8=79hp/L
Strongest tbird sc's I could find 406hp=107hp/L
Balt sc stock 205 on a 2.0= 102.5 hp/L
Balt sc stge 3-245 on a 2.0=122.5hp/L
Strongest Balt sc not really sure but let's say 300 streetable=150hp/l
No wonder you had no problem getting 300hp on your tbird. If it running as efficiently as a stage 3 Balt you would have been pushing 465 hp on 93octane.