2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

factory freaks

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 06:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
factory freaks

well, I don't know how far this thread will go. But I just can't stop myself from posting and getting some opinions.

If you have a factory freak, post your stock freakish dyno numbers and quarter mile times/traps. I'm just wondering cause I think I may have a freak on my hands which is a good thing.

I'll put it like this, Me and a bud bumped off from about a 80mph roll in 3rd, I jump about half a car to a car, I shift to 4th, He pulls past me to where he is about half a car on me, then I pull back almost even when he lets out so I let out too.

My mods:
bone stock

His mods:
GM stage 2
CAI (injen I think)
Header (long tube I think)
Full exhaust (corsa i think)

Trust me, I was surprised just as much as he was. We think he needs a tune real bad. But there is no telling cause I didn't think I/H/E would throw off a stage 2 tune that bad. The 7K rev limit really is what helped him out though. Had it not been for that, I would have pulled away. I'll be taking it to a dyno when I find one around here. lol. anyways, I'm not gonna tell you guys who it was since I don't want to call him out or anything. But We were both very surprised.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
those mods can definetly through off that tune and make him run lean/rich
Old 03-31-2007, 06:27 PM

well, that's what we think, but I've honestly never heard of I/H/E hurting you, especially not that much. I'm very excited though! lol. But he does need a tune.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:28 PM

yea regardless he should still be faster, grats on hanging with him
Old 03-31-2007, 06:31 PM

yea for real. I was very happy. What's great is he's been beating up on a lot of srt-4s and what not around here, even some stage 2 ones. So I'm going to give some of them a try and get some vids of it.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:46 PM

mines a factory freak, ive never had it on a dyno, but i have had it to the track, i wenjt 14.4 bone stock, and i have raced several cars with more mods than i and i just walk away.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:02 PM

ok, 14.4 isn't freakish. What was your mph? I'd be able to tell better from that. and what mods do other people have that you walk away from.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltBurst
those mods can definetly through off that tune and make him run lean/rich
Which one do you mean?

Also, a exhaust system upgrade just helps get rid of backpressure...has nothing to do with fuel mixtures since it's dealing with air/fuel exhaust mixtures after the exhaust cycle. A intake change wouldn't throw it off...your intake system isn't that restrictive in the first place. Even if it was, the air flow change wouldn't be enough to throw a computers programming off. You would have to make a drastic change in airflow (increasing volumetric efficiency).

Ralliartist, I wouldn't judge your car being a "factory freak" from a 80 MPH roll race...race him from a stop and see what the results are.

Also, driver reaction and skills play a big part into it.

Last edited by NJHK; 03-31-2007 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-31-2007, 10:48 PM

racing from a stop will have so many other variables. He has 16" wheels with Nitto drag radials, so he would murder me just on the launch, plus his 1-2 shift will kill me since he won't lose traction there either. We plan to go from a slower roll, but a stop just wouldn't be fair. I'm not trying to see who is faster in the quarter. I'm just wanting to justify what my cobalt is putting to the wheels. I know the simplest thing to do would be to hit a dyno, but dyno's are more so used to measure gains and what not. I figure the easiest thing to do is just go from a roll with him and see which car pulls away. It's obvious I'm making more power than I should though since he didn't pull away from me at all.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:01 PM

im gonna go out on the limb and say i have one on my hand too. first weekend with the car ran a 9.1 @ 78 mph with just an intake. i also raced my friend from a 40 roll who had stage 2 w/ 2.8", exhaust, d/p, intake and im sure a bunch of other goodies. anyway fro 40-100 he pulled maybe 1/2 car on me and that was only because of the 7000 rpm it was insane
Old 03-31-2007, 11:03 PM

*** yea i got a 1997 toyota corolla stock it is only suppose to have 135hp but when i dynoed it came out to exactlly 900horses to the wheels and a 10.1 second quarter mile
Old 03-31-2007, 11:03 PM

sounds just like mine! That makes two of us!

btw, I'm referring to xskier

Last edited by ralliartist; 03-31-2007 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:07 PM

To answer your question, I have a factory freak. I ran 14.2 consistanly @ 100mph. I'm the only Cobalt on this site with a stock ss/sc that hit the 100mph trap speed in the 1/4th. (anyways showd slips) However some people did beat the 14.2 with shown slips. Some people think that a air box mod is stock but its not. Remember that. Don't think cobalts come with K&N filters lol.

^ I think its the color, alot of rally yellow factory freaks!

Originally Posted by xskier874
im gonna go out on the limb and say i have one on my hand too. first weekend with the car ran a 9.1 @ 78 mph with just an intake.
In the 1/8th...

Originally Posted by stuve
*** yea i got a 1997 toyota corolla stock it is only suppose to have 135hp but when i dynoed it came out to exactlly 900horses to the wheels and a 10.1 second quarter mile

Last edited by R&C_rallySS; 03-31-2007 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-31-2007, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by R&C_rallySS
In the 1/8th...
yes but 9.1 in the 1/8th is pretty damn good with just and intake...
Old 03-31-2007, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by xskier874
yes but 9.1 in the 1/8th is pretty damn good with just and intake...
I agree, but it would be very interesting seeing what you would of ran in the 1.4th. You can never really get a good est. on a 1.8th track how fast you are. Lots of things are differant. Congrats on the awesome 1/8th time.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:22 PM

tea the corolla is yellow i think ur right about the fatory fraks are always yellow 10.1 quarter
Old 03-31-2007, 11:27 PM

thanks man, you're messing up an interesting thread for me. I'm just trying to compare my stock car to a stage 2 car and get other people's opinions and you're being a total ass hat. No need to blurt out stuff like that.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by ralliartist
racing from a stop will have so many other variables. He has 16" wheels with Nitto drag radials, so he would murder me just on the launch, plus his 1-2 shift will kill me since he won't lose traction there either. We plan to go from a slower roll, but a stop just wouldn't be fair. I'm not trying to see who is faster in the quarter. I'm just wanting to justify what my cobalt is putting to the wheels. I know the simplest thing to do would be to hit a dyno, but dyno's are more so used to measure gains and what not. I figure the easiest thing to do is just go from a roll with him and see which car pulls away. It's obvious I'm making more power than I should though since he didn't pull away from me at all.
Well then you really don't have a factory freak...
Old 03-31-2007, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
Well then you really don't have a factory freak...

and how did you come to this conclusion? I just stayed side by side with a stage 2 cobalt and i/h/e. I actually pulled on him, the only time he pulled on me was with the bumped rev limit that the stage 2 gives him. I started to pull back again after he shifted. and I'm Bone stock!
Old 03-31-2007, 11:38 PM

Here's an idea, get on the dyno then go to the track. If you are ripping of 14.0s @ 100+ at the track stock then you have a factory freak. If not, then no. Racing some guy and hanging or beating him proves nothing. Maybe he was in the wrong gear, maybe he didn't get on it soon or all the way, or maybe his car isn't running right.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by ralliartist
and how did you come to this conclusion? I just stayed side by side with a stage 2 cobalt and i/h/e. I actually pulled on him, the only time he pulled on me was with the bumped rev limit that the stage 2 gives him. I started to pull back again after he shifted. and I'm Bone stock!
Well as simple as you're asking me how I came to that conclusion, how do you come to a conclusion of you pulling on a car from 80 MPH but you even admited that he would rape you from a stop? Could it be...mm...driver error? Maybe you jumped on him? Maybe you were in a lower gear than him? There could be a ton of explainations but coming on here and thinking you have some ub3r freakish car cause of a single instance from such a higher speed starting race seems kind of flawed.

Not putting down roll racing or whatever but I doubt NHRA drag cars are going to start roll racing to see who is faster...get what I mean?
Old 04-01-2007, 12:54 AM

dude, he even stated himself that he needs a tune or something. And I know his car is running good cause he's beating everyone around here. Stage 2 srt's and what not. The only reason I think he would rape me from a stop is because of his wheel and tire upgrade, which has NOTHING to do with power. Maybe if he puts his stock wheels back on we could go at it. But geese, there are some many other variables from a stop.

I do plan on tracking and dynoing my car though. But my whole point of this thread was that I stayed right with a gm stage 2 cobalt and I'm stock. It just kind of raised my eyebrow. Don't you think it would raise your eyebrow too? He didn't pull away from me and kill my by bus lengths or even a few cars. Not even 1 car. We were side by side. I just wanted to hear from the other factory freaks what they were putting down and what not so that I might have an idea of what to expect from mine.

didn't mean to get anyone all puckered up or anything, it just kind of took me and him by surprise that he didn't leave me watching how pretty the rear end of his car was.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:03 AM

The point I'm making is that your car isn't necessarily faster because you beat him from a roll. Power is only one factor...control & traction is another which counters into how fast someone is as well.

You didn't get me puckered up. I'm just bored like usual...
Old 04-01-2007, 01:05 AM

I feel some tension mounting in this thread whoa guys calm down lol. Either way u should get your car on the dyno and at the track to really see what your car is pulling. I want to do that to mine before i mod but i cant seem to find one in NYC (any help greatly appreciated ).
Old 04-01-2007, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by pimpnwink
I feel some tension mounting in this thread whoa guys calm down lol. Either way u should get your car on the dyno and at the track to really see what your car is pulling. I want to do that to mine before i mod but i cant seem to find one in NYC (any help greatly appreciated ).
I know places in New Jersey if you want me to tell you. A bit of a drive. Closest track that I know of is Englishtown Raceway Park. I know some dyno shops in NJ as well.

Quick Reply: factory freaks