2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

GMPP Stage II DIY info needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GMPP Stage II DIY info needed

So, I ordered my Stage II kit on Saturday from CED.

I am going to plan to do the install on 12/9, as thats the first day I have coming up to go get the flash done.

My question is, how long should this install take?

I will be renting the puller from ZZP.
Dont know if that makes a difference or not.

Basically though, I want to make my appt late enough in the day that I have plenty of time early on to get everything installed.

Also, I have a question about one of the tools needed. The Torx wrench that is mentioned, does that come with the kit (I know it comes with some kind of wrench)? That is the only tool I wasnt familiar with.

The flash should only take about an hour to do right?

Also, any other tips for getting this done are welcomed and much appreciated!

Thanks guys! (And Girls)
Old 11-28-2006, 12:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here you go!

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...=install+stage

Also, here is some good reading.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...=install+stage
Old 11-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Banned

damn beat me...
Old 11-28-2006, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by CTCOBALTSSS
Right, I read the first one, but it didnt have the information I was looking for.
I also didnt see it in the second one when I looked the first time, but also didnt find what I was looking for.

I will re-read it, but I DID do a search before posting my question.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:07 PM

Just read through the FAQ again, and my questions arent in there.

The install time was listed for DEALERS, but I am doing this my self, and am looking to find out about how long I should expect this to take.

Also, if anyone know the answers to my other questions, thanks, if not, thanks anyway.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:11 PM

There are two Torx bits included in the GMS2 kit, I don't know of any wrench included. At least mine didn't. The answer to how long...

...are you a mechanic? How proficient are you with this kind of stuff? Did you buy the Stage kit due to warranty concerns?

It takes anywhere from 2-4 hours for someone to do this the first time. It does require pulling the blower, but with the puller you plan on renting, you shouldn't have it out that long. I wouldn't do this myself due to the fact that GM will not warranty this kit w/o it being installed by a dealer.

The reflash should take any dealer about an hour, depending on how busy the tech line is...
Old 11-28-2006, 01:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If you have someone helping you it shouldn't take more then 4 hours I would imagine. The hardest part is getting the old pulley off and pressing the new hub on. If you are going to do the install by yourself, it may take alot longer...

The TORX you are speaking of hold the stage 2 pulley on the hub of the supercharger. The kit comes with the bits you will need for that.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:21 PM

I was actually under the impression that by them flashing the computer on a DIY job, your warranty is good for another 12 months, as appossed to the three years it would otherwise be.

That aside however, I am not overly concerned with it.
I like the GM kit because it has reasonable power, without being too much.
I dont really need 260/260.

I think my ultimate goal is around 250 HP, and 250TQ.
Any more than that I really dont need.

Torx bit, thats what comes with it? CED says wrench, but that is probably what they meant.

Thanks for the quick response.

This will be the first time doing anything like this, but I am not a stranger to cars, and I have a good bit of common sense.
Hopefully all will go smoothly.

So I will leave my self 4 hours before my appt. to get this done. Does that sound reasonable?
Old 11-28-2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by rnjmur
If you have someone helping you it shouldn't take more then 4 hours I would imagine. The hardest part is getting the old pulley off and pressing the new hub on. If you are going to do the install by yourself, it may take alot longer...

The TORX you are speaking of hold the stage 2 pulley on the hub of the supercharger. The kit comes with the bits you will need for that.
Cool, thanks!

So aside from a torque wrench, all the other tools are ordinary right?
Old 11-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chipsgt
I was actually under the impression that by them flashing the computer on a DIY job, your warranty is good for another 12 months, as appossed to the three years it would otherwise be.

That aside however, I am not overly concerned with it.
I like the GM kit because it has reasonable power, without being too much.
I dont really need 260/260.

I think my ultimate goal is around 250 HP, and 250TQ.
Any more than that I really dont need.

Torx bit, thats what comes with it? CED says wrench, but that is probably what they meant.

Thanks for the quick response.

This will be the first time doing anything like this, but I am not a stranger to cars, and I have a good bit of common sense.
Hopefully all will go smoothly.

So I will leave my self 4 hours before my appt. to get this done. Does that sound reasonable?

Schedule the appt at 3 and start working at 8. That way you make sure you have loads fo time.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by e to the x
Schedule the appt at 3 and start working at 8. That way you make sure you have loads fo time.
Well, they close at 2:00. So I was going to start at 7:00, and make the appt for noon.
That gives me 5 hours.

Is the pully hard to change by myself?
Old 11-28-2006, 02:53 PM

The pulley should be no problem with the pulley puller. Without the puller, there's a good chance that you could damage something. With it, you should be able to do it yourself without any issues. Like you said, you have good common sense, that's all that is needed if you're mechanically inclined...
Old 11-28-2006, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not real mechanically inclined but I like to tinker with just about everything I get my hand on. It took me about 1 1/2 hours to do the kit and about 25-30 minutes to do the reflash.
I used a press to pop off the pulley which only took about 30 seconds.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Edubs
The pulley should be no problem with the pulley puller. Without the puller, there's a good chance that you could damage something. With it, you should be able to do it yourself without any issues. Like you said, you have good common sense, that's all that is needed if you're mechanically inclined...
If its any kind of measuring stick, I was able to do my intake with no directions....
And the directions I have read from that super street article seem pretty easy.
The only thing I was really questioning was the pully removal. But I do feel a little more confident now.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 11-28-2006, 03:21 PM

your welcome

(cause i started the thread on the "how to guide" for gm stage II install)
Old 12-04-2006, 03:15 PM

Well, got the install done. It took 4 hours, some frustraition, two trips to the part store, one avoided tragedy, and I had some friends helping me, but we got her finished!
Got the re-flash done this morning, and man does she feel good!

The install was definately the biggest thing I have ever done to my cars, but I wouldnt say its really hard, just complicated. and in my opinion, at least one if not two extra sets of hands is in order.

The fuel injectors were an absolute piece of cake. I probably could have done those my self in about an hour. Getting that pulley off of the supercharger, and pressing on the new hub, different story. Then, getting the new belt to seat properly, man, that really took some muscle.

So, at the end of the day, anyone wanting to do this your self, on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the hardest and 1 being the easiest, I would give this install a 6.

My biggest piece of advice to anyone that is thinking about this is like I said, get a few extra hands, and get the proper tools!

The ZZ Performance puller is GOLD, and a must if you dont have access to a press.

Thanks everyone for your input too!

Time to enjoy!
Old 12-04-2006, 03:31 PM

Congrats...and enjoy!