2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Hahn Racecraft LSJ GT35R Turbo Project PICS RELEASED!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Super_SS
isnt there a better place to mount the external wga,also no bov?or am i missing it

also doesnt the wga go on the cold side(pipe that leads from intercooler-manifold)or can u mount an external anywhere

and from this moment on i have stopped moddin the balt till that kit comes out..its on my list to buy next year..

if im not mistaken that would be a bov you see in the picture. that gt35r has an internal waste
Old 12-20-2007, 03:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by speedy_coop
if im not mistaken that would be a bov you see in the picture. that gt35r has an internal waste
hard to tell..maybe its the new turbo xs bov,similiar design they have for the sti
Old 12-20-2007, 03:20 AM

hard to tell..maybe its the new turbo xs bov,similiar design they have for the sti
its the bov.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:21 AM

Speedycoop is right. That would be the Tial BOV you see there! This is an internally gated 35R.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 06noscobaltss
Speedycoop is right. That would be the Tial BOV you see there! This is an internally gated 35R.
why an internal wga?and why put the bov downthere?
Old 12-20-2007, 03:26 AM

why an internal wga?and why put the bov downthere?
We went with an internal gate because Garrett just released it being internally gated. It saved money too. Dont have to figure out where to put an external, no piping for a dump off the wastegate, and didnt have to plumb that pipe back into the downpipe. So less work too. As far as the BOV positioning. It had to go there because of the MAF system on the car.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 06noscobaltss
We went with an internal gate because Garrett just released it being internally gated. It saved money too. Dont have to figure out where to put an external, no piping for a dump off the wastegate, and didnt have to plumb that pipe back into the downpipe. So less work too. As far as the BOV positioning. It had to go there because of the MAF system on the car.
oh i c..gotcha..just make sure u keep us ALL updated,especially us ILL ppl
Old 12-20-2007, 04:44 AM

Wow this will be useful. No power until 5500 rpm, and then no traction until 8192 rpm

No offense but I don't see any use for this? Other than awesome numbers on a dyno. What use will this have? This is totally awesome that someone is doing something like this, I just don't see any use in it. Flame me if you want, I could honestly care less.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by cincybalt
woooo. cant wait to see some numbers
ditto
Old 12-20-2007, 04:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blown 4-banger
Wow this will be useful. No power until 5500 rpm, and then no traction until 8192 rpm

No offense but I don't see any use for this? Other than awesome numbers on a dyno. What use will this have? This is totally awesome that someone is doing something like this, I just don't see any use in it. Flame me if you want, I could honestly care less.
he does have a point...should of gone with a 20g or something little smaller that has full boost around 3500rpm or so
Old 12-20-2007, 06:14 AM

Very impressive and clean build indeed! I'm sure she'll be badass when all is said and done. My only question is what do you plan on doing to beef up the transmission? Our tranny's are weak and I highly doubt they'll take 500-600whp of abuse!

Oh, internally wastegated turbos make fabrication so much easier. As long as the internal gate does it's job right, there is no reason why you can't run one. Works great on my small 16g that's on my integra!
Old 12-20-2007, 07:24 AM

It depends on what he wants. This will obviously be a straight line car, so it will see the 1/4 track. Have you never seen big turbo cars run at the track or street? The power may not be instant, but it will definitely be there. Lag is so over rated on this website, everyone seems to think you are sitting in the car doing nothing for a solid minute while waiting. Turbo takes a couple seconds (if that) and then boom.

Unless you plan on tracking yours on the circuit, I see his car wtfpwning yours. Flame me if ya want
Old 12-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
internally gated 35r?

odd.

personally, i would have gone a little bit different direction.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EcoBoost
Thanks! And that's 2.5" piping from the turbo to the intercooler, with 3" piping from the intercooler to the throttle body. This turbosystem is intended to be a heavy breather!
yeah i seen that...............i was looking 2 do mine the same way...........but im also going with a bigger blow through style maf.............and trailbalzer t\b

what size is the inlet\outlet hole on the intercooler? and how long before the intake manifold and the intercooler will be for sale?
Old 12-20-2007, 12:32 PM

lookin good
Old 12-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Former Vendor

We've built FWD cars with this kind of power potential for some time now, and there's absolutely no problem in adjusting power levels via a boost controller to provide streetable, very user-friendly performance. The GT35R may seem large, but rest assured, there's considerably larger units that can be fitted to a 2.0 liter!

As a point of comparison, consider our GT4088R-equipped 2.0 2003 Sunfire. Still streetable, even with a turbo considerably larger than the GT35R, with an effective usable powerband from 5000-9000 RPM. Joe's car will develop usable boost in the 3000 RPM range, and the gentle onset of the GT35R will actually enhance street traction, with the maximum available power on the street optimized by the boost controller system's numerous power level settings.

I've done considerable development of FWD vehicles with high power, and Joe's car will represent a fabulous mixture of street capability with brutal dragstrip and dyno capability. Hey, we can't let the Honda boys have all the fun now, can we? 10 and 11 second steet Ecotecs are possible too!
Old 12-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Rent me! per hour

people fail to see the ability to control spool time via other means that just turbo size.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:33 PM

good god! IM IN LOVE!
Old 12-20-2007, 01:37 PM

cant wait to see the finished product and pricing
Old 12-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 2K5SS/SC?
Very impressive and clean build indeed! I'm sure she'll be badass when all is said and done. My only question is what do you plan on doing to beef up the transmission? Our tranny's are weak and I highly doubt they'll take 500-600whp of abuse!
Thanks for the kudos on the build! This is indeed an evolved turbosystem; we've built numerous turbosystem iterations for Cobalt previously, and I like this one the best of all, for it is the end result of many previous versions

As for the transaxles...This is an area I don't agree with, and I feel it's been fed more by rumor and preventable abuse than actual limitations of the transmission. Consider:

With the F27 Getrag, we've put down over a hundred 11- and 12-second passes on a single unit, on cars with slicks, with zero issues. The F35 in the Cobalt is rated for even more torque. So what's up? Essentially, the failures you are being exposed to are attributable to preventable abuse involving excessive wheelspin and wheelhop antics. Sudden, momentary shock loads during those episodes can far exceed what we are capable of producing in continuous torque, even at these elevated power levels.

We faced a similar culture of doubt when we first began turbocharging Neon's back in the late 1990's. We were told of poor fellows with broken axles and transmissions in 13 and 14 second cars; why, the pundits said, of COURSE we would have nothing but problems at higher power levels! We proceeded to run as quick as 11's on stock axles before requiring upgrades, and took the stock gearboxes all the way to the high NINE second range with zero internal issues.

And I am here to tell you...the Getrag is considerably more robust internally than those Neon transaxles were! That's not mere opinion...I have been inside both units, and bring a considerable amount of driveline experience to the table. The Getrag is an awesome piece. I've built an 800-HP car around one based upon that confidence!

Last edited by Hahn RaceCraft; 12-20-2007 at 01:45 PM. Reason: typosuction
Old 12-20-2007, 01:39 PM

Wicked Man
Old 12-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 2K5SS/SC?
Oh, internally wastegated turbos make fabrication so much easier. As long as the internal gate does it's job right, there is no reason why you can't run one. Works great on my small 16g that's on my integra!
I could not have said it better. Internally wastegated turbochargers are less expensive at intial build, and easier to maintain down the long haul. That's why OEM engineers use nothing but. We've used internally wastegated units for these reasons for years, and have put down some sick power and numbers with them. For us, external wastegates are an answer to a question we're not asking, unless that question is how to make the system more expensive and complex for no real gain! We'd prefer to put the money and effort in other portions of the system.

Originally Posted by Area47
people fail to see the ability to control spool time via other means that just turbo size.
Very true. To this end, we've also used a small A/R ratio turbine housing on this application to enhance low-speed spool. GT35R can be fitted with a variety of turbine sections for such tailoring to specific needs.

Originally Posted by spike
what size is the inlet\outlet hole on the intercooler? and how long before the intake manifold and the intercooler will be for sale?
The intercooler inlet is 2.5"; the outlet is 3.0". The core is huge, yet still bolts-on under the bumper for ease of installation and retention of crash standards (VERY important should you get into a fender bender...insurance adjusters are very intolerant of cut-up bumpers and have bounced claims from them!). The core measures 6" tall, 4.5 " deep, and 24" wide, for a total internal volume of 650 cubic inckes. It's the same core we use on our Dodge Hemi and Ford Mustang applications, and will support 600 HP all day long.

We can take orders now for both units, with delivery in January. If you'd like to get a quote, please PM me with your name, address, and email addy.

Last edited by Hahn RaceCraft; 12-20-2007 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-20-2007, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Area47
internally gated 35r?

odd.

personally, i would have gone a little bit different direction.
odd to say the vary least my friend, nothing like positive pressure on the outlet side of a turbine....that'll help spool......
Old 12-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Rent me! per hour

Originally Posted by 06black
odd to say the vary least my friend, nothing like positive pressure on the outlet side of a turbine....that'll help spool......
hehehehe
i giggled a little bit
Old 12-20-2007, 01:59 PM

that car is sick, just what i want mine to look like

and be powerd with

Last edited by BlueSS-supercharged; 12-20-2007 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: Hahn Racecraft LSJ GT35R Turbo Project PICS RELEASED!