2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Heat exchanger sprayer

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heat exchanger sprayer

A couple friends of mine came up with this, while there are a few things i would have done differently, has anyone come up with somthing like this for a FMHE on a LSJ? in theory the washerfluid will have methanol in it and should cool down the h/e. Input? thinking about building one and recording IAT2's with HPT.

Eps 34 DIY Inctercooler Sprayer - YouTube
Old 06-28-2012, 01:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard of people making methanol injection kits from their stock washer resevoir and pump but that's a first from me on a inter cooler sprayer.. Personally to me it seems like its not worth the mess it'll make for what power it makes but I like my bay clean.. 15deg. IAT temps tho is pretty good for $30.. Lol.. Just my 2Cents
Old 06-28-2012, 01:47 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are an retard^^
Old 06-28-2012, 01:57 AM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
i like it!

Originally Posted by Blowncavy
You are an retard^^
Grammar....It wins.

Last edited by Slowbalt2000; 06-28-2012 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-28-2012, 07:19 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't methanol highly corrosive. If you sprayed it on your HE, you could damage it. Plus IIRC it also eats paint, so be careful with that overspray
Old 06-28-2012, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jdam8139
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't methanol highly corrosive. If you sprayed it on your HE, you could damage it. Plus IIRC it also eats paint, so be careful with that overspray
Very true I did not think of that, even though washer fluid isnt entirely methanol, id also be worried about the blue dye in the washer fluid staining my H/E, Because in order to flash the methanol right im sure you would want to put the nozzles on the front side of the H/E. And there wouldnt be any extra "mass" washer fluid pumps are very small/light, you could drill/tap a "90" fitting into the washer resevoir, seal it and have a 100% clean install. Also I was thinking you could use a relay and tap it off of a regular meth injection pump like a devils own stage 2, so when the meth sprays the h/e sprays aswell, and have it hooked up to a seperate switch so if you wanted to spray it pre run you could. hm..
Old 06-28-2012, 11:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't do that, it's just plain dumb IMO. Most of the time it goes in the blower and the results is better.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they make Nitrous bars for that, and its probably way more efficient. never mind the whole spraying meth everywhere thing.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Banned

i've researched this. when ur running an air to air intercoolr it lowers ur temps noticably. but from wut i've read regarding the water to air h/e that we use it doesn't help much if any at all. ur better off just spraying pre blower
Old 06-28-2012, 11:50 AM

That's what I am talking about. If you wanna get your intake temp down way more you can use Water Wetter and Distill Water to get your intake temp down more but you will have to switch out before winter or 40 degree and below to Antifreeze Coolant.

Last edited by YelCal7; 06-28-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:24 PM

I understand all of your comments and you guys have some very valid points but does anyone have any concrete test's to really prove if this is un effective? Theoretically, the meth in the washer fluid should flash, and at a higher rate of air speed transfer the heat off of the h/e.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 211 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Melon
i've researched this. when ur running an air to air intercoolr it lowers ur temps noticably. but from wut i've read regarding the water to air h/e that we use it doesn't help much if any at all. ur better off just spraying pre blower
^This.

I spray pre blower. more benefits of injecting it into motor than gonna be spraying all over intercooler. plus gains are minimal on air/water setup vs air/air
Old 06-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Banned

thats y no one has done it. not worth doing, as there aren't really any gains to b had. just spray pre blower and go weeeeee
Old 06-28-2012, 01:00 PM

Why don't you put in methanol in your HE ? See if that works ?
Old 06-28-2012, 04:25 PM

Im not talking about meth injection here, I know that will have a much larger effect then spraying a h/e, Im not arguing that, everyone here is saying it will not have any effect on a water to air set up, yet no one has tested it or has a concrete set of results. I have looked around other forums and do not see anything about anyone else testing this set up.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Banned

cuz its harder to cool down our coolant as ir runs through the heat exchanger. but if its cheap and u wanna give it a try then go ahead and post up results
Old 06-28-2012, 04:34 PM

I understand that liquid has many different properties then air, especially when it comes to heat transfer, but It would be very cheap to set somthing up temporary for testing purposes, if it works well enough I will put together a nice kit. But I will post up before and After Screenshots monitoring IAT2.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:37 PM

Like I said, why don't you try put meth in your HE and see if that work ? Instead of spraying them. Half Water/Half Meth into HE.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:20 PM

Just spray with ice water?
Old 06-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 211 Likes on 170 Posts
pm john powell. he has many more years experience than any of us and helped gm develop the GM upgrades for the ss/sc. they didnt use a h/e sprayer so thats good enough for me right there
Old 06-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC
pm john powell. he has many more years experience than any of us and helped gm develop the GM upgrades for the ss/sc. they didnt use a h/e sprayer so thats good enough for me right there
This.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:03 AM

I think the big thing that is being missed here (and maybe someone said it and I missed it) is that the water in your h/e system isn't really "cooling" the manifold air, but rather pulling heat of the air. The water/coolant/wetter or whatever you use is a heat transfering medium, not an actually cooling agent (as compared to injecting meth into the blower/mani where it actually drops IATs.
I think some people have the wrong impression that the manifold air blows threw cool water in the cores, therefore cooling the air, but what is actually happening is the water in the cores is sucking heat out of the air and removing...so what is in the h/e system is what really matters.

What YelCal7 is 100% correct...use distilled water + water wetter for the best result (though I haven't tested enough with/without water wetter to say how much a difference it really makes), but distilled water absolutely has better heat transfer ability than anitfreeze and spring or tap water (I also mix distilled water with my engine coolant rather than tap/spring water).
My tuner and I have tested this consistently, and a h/e system filled with distilled water + wetter has shown us about 10* cooler IATs than 50/50 coolant/water mix, and we tested on days of relatively the same outside temps with the same kind of driving style.

To me, spaying meth on the h/e is just a waste of meth when you get the same gains using a different mix in the h/e. It may only be a $30 setup, but then consider the $3.xx per gallon of meth, and not to mention it will be corrosive to the h/e...and a $9 bottle of wetter and some distilled water will give you the same drop in IATs. Now use distilled water in your h/e AND spray meth the way it is intended, and you get the best of both worlds. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evilution
I think the big thing that is being missed here (and maybe someone said it and I missed it) is that the water in your h/e system isn't really "cooling" the manifold air, but rather pulling heat of the air. The water/coolant/wetter or whatever you use is a heat transfering medium, not an actually cooling agent (as compared to injecting meth into the blower/mani where it actually drops IATs.
I think some people have the wrong impression that the manifold air blows threw cool water in the cores, therefore cooling the air, but what is actually happening is the water in the cores is sucking heat out of the air and removing...so what is in the h/e system is what really matters.

What YelCal7 is 100% correct...use distilled water + water wetter for the best result (though I haven't tested enough with/without water wetter to say how much a difference it really makes), but distilled water absolutely has better heat transfer ability than anitfreeze and spring or tap water (I also mix distilled water with my engine coolant rather than tap/spring water).
My tuner and I have tested this consistently, and a h/e system filled with distilled water + wetter has shown us about 10* cooler IATs than 50/50 coolant/water mix, and we tested on days of relatively the same outside temps with the same kind of driving style.

To me, spaying meth on the h/e is just a waste of meth when you get the same gains using a different mix in the h/e. It may only be a $30 setup, but then consider the $3.xx per gallon of meth, and not to mention it will be corrosive to the h/e...and a $9 bottle of wetter and some distilled water will give you the same drop in IATs. Now use distilled water in your h/e AND spray meth the way it is intended, and you get the best of both worlds. Just my 2 cents.
IMO the coolant is going to heat up by the time it gets to the manifold anyway
Old 06-30-2012, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by nhanson
IMO the coolant is going to heat up by the time it gets to the manifold anyway
It will. That's why you use something like distilled water that retains it's ability to transfer heat longer than antifreeze. No matter what, any fluid use is going to start soaking up some heat on the way to the manifold, so it's a matter of choosing which fluid will be the coolest when it gets there...distilled water can transfer more heat, and get rid of it quicker, than coolant, so in theory it should be cooler when it gets there.

All I know is after alot of data logging, my IATs are always better running distilled water.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have to switch out my mix...get more water in there

Quick Reply: Heat exchanger sprayer