2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

hid issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hid issues

Ok so i have a set of hids that i got from zzp about a year ago. All was good till about a month ago, my passenger side ballast went out so i got a new one and all was good for about another month. Then my passenger side bulb went. I got my new bulb today, pluged it in and the weirdest thing is happening. Only half the buld is lighting up. There is a little bulb, the ignitor i think and the big long one witch is the hid. The little one lights up like a normal halogen but the big one next to it nothing. So i pluged it into the drivers side harness and it worked perfect. Not sure whats going on here. If i have a bad harness on passenger side, or if if cooked some wires or what. But when i tested the harness on the pass side its reading 11.7 volts. Im pretty stumped here. Anyone out there have an idea
Old 08-08-2012, 08:23 PM

really no one has any ideas or imput...bummer
Old 08-08-2012, 10:54 PM

I know I was having problems with mine where my highbeams wouldn't come on, and then I bought a different set of bulbs and after my driverside one was in, they both worked (the passenger side still had the old bulb). So, it ended up being just a dud bulb on my driver side. So, maybe flip them and see if the driver side bulb does the same thing on the passenger side?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:04 AM

I had some issues with mine as well a while back ago. The driver side light would turn on, but randomly. When it would turn on it would flicker and cut out at random times. After diagnoses the issues followed the ballast and not the bulb. When I opened up the ballast there was about 3/4" of water inside the ballast. I emptied it out, dried it out, and applied some RTV on the outer seal and closed it up. Been good for about 4 months now no issues.

My diagnoses was as below..

1) Swap the bulbs and see if the issue follows the bulbs.
1a)Yes - Bulbs are bad - Replace bulb
1b)No - Proceed to 2.

2) Put bulbs back in original location, swap ballasts.
2a)Yes - Ballast is bad - Check/replace ballast
2b) No - Proceed to 3

3)Put ballast (and bulbs) back in original location, swap harness (whether it's stock or aftermarket relay). If it is aftermarket repeat this process twice checking the aftermarket harness, and the stock harness.
3a)Yes - Harness is bad
3b)No - I really don't think there is anything else that could cause it...So you shouldn't have even made it to 3b :-P