2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Im kinda confused why people bash intense tunes??!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im kinda confused why people bash intense tunes??!!

ok 1st off, people tell me to stay away from intense tunes, and to find some1 that has hptuners. I emailed intense and they informed me that they use HPTUNERS NOW. So since thats the case, wouldnt they be dependable then??? You guys are confusing the **** out of me. Right now i have an intense setup with no probs. But everytime i hear some1 bash intense i get even more nervous. The only bad thing about the setup is that im running a 2.8 with 42.5 injectors. But im going to be fixing this problem shortly. Im either going to upgrade to a 2.7 with 60 lbers with a retune or get a 2.9 and leave the 42.5 in there
Old 06-14-2007, 04:35 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vextc05
ok 1st off, people tell me to stay away from intense tunes, and to find some1 that has hptuners. I emailed intense and they informed me that they use HPTUNERS NOW. So since thats the case, wouldnt they be dependable then??? You guys are confusing the **** out of me. Right now i have an intense setup with no probs. But everytime i hear some1 bash intense i get even more nervous. The only bad thing about the setup is that im running a 2.8 with 42.5 injectors. But im going to be fixing this problem shortly. Im either going to upgrade to a 2.7 with 60 lbers with a retune or get a 2.9 and leave the 42.5 in there
i think it has to do with it being a "canned" tune as opposed to a car specific tune
Old 06-14-2007, 05:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by REIGNftSOLDIER
i think it has to do with it being a "canned" tune as opposed to a car specific tune
Basically.

Not every car will run 100% great or to your liking with a "mail order" tune.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:38 AM

intense tunes have a history of running lean and blowing **** up - that's pretty much the issue. also, as has been said, w/ a mail order you cannot compensate for everything that's different in the environment surrounding the car it gets put on.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bc3tech
intense tunes have a history of running lean and blowing **** up - that's pretty much the issue. also, as has been said, w/ a mail order you cannot compensate for everything that's different in the environment surrounding the car it gets put on.
X2.... Thats why everyone says to get a custom tune. Everyones car reacts differently to mods and we all drive in different environments.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by vextc05

the reason why everyone would tell you to find someone with hp tuners is so that you can make changes as necesary. a "canned" tune can't be changed unless you mail back and forth till it's right. someone with HP tuners can get your car on a dyno, or on the street, log some #'s, and make adjustments to get it right the first time.

every car will run slightly different, so what's perfect for one car may very likely NOT be perfect for your car.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:17 AM

X3
Before I bought my SS/SC I had a GTP. When Intense first came out with their PCMs for the GTPs, they were running the cars lean with to much timing. The cars made some serious power but then they starting breaking. I'd assume and hope that Intense has learned from this though, and now makes their tunes safer.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:38 AM

not necessarily bashing intense tunes, its a matter of mail order tunes, to put it in simple terms. they dont work. every car is different and needs to be adjusted differently. hp tuners is good if matched with a dyno so u can do it live and tune it acuratly. mail order tunes cant compensate for every car they put a simple tune on the ecu and thats it, your car might not like it. a dyno tune is the best way to go and beset bang for the buck. why spend 300+ on a mail order tune when u can spend 100 more and get a full dyno tune that is specific to your car and your mods and you'll get the most out of it.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:42 AM

hahaha i love the forum world... everyone slowly starts to repeate what the 1st person said.... for this thread its the... not so much intense as canned tunes... changes in the enviroment... haha... ok back on topic... lol
Old 06-14-2007, 11:00 AM

i live somewhat near intense, my car is stock but i plan on getiing intense stage 3 or 4 or something, maybe even 5, if i bring the car there and have them do everything then will it turn out better right, im assuming that if they have the car then theyle tune it based on the mods it has
Old 06-14-2007, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by zay52790
i live somewhat near intense, my car is stock but i plan on getiing intense stage 3 or 4 or something, maybe even 5, if i bring the car there and have them do everything then will it turn out better right, im assuming that if they have the car then theyle tune it based on the mods it has
where is intense located?? Im like from wi/il border

does anyone know where i can get a dyno tune in wisconsin/illinois?

Last edited by vextc05; 06-14-2007 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-14-2007, 06:17 PM

where in WI you from? il trade you my 2.9 for your 2.8 im in the s. central janesville area if you go that route
Old 06-14-2007, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSS-supercharged
where in WI you from? il trade you my 2.9 for your 2.8 im in the s. central janesville area if you go that route
i live on tripp rd. south side of janesville
Old 06-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
it's not that mail order tunes are bad. it's that you can not compensate for elevation changes, difference in weather, difference in fuels.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:18 AM

sorry, never mind, i was thinking or something else, intense is in ohio, my bad
Old 06-17-2007, 12:44 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by zay52790
sorry, never mind, i was thinking or something else, intense is in ohio, my bad
create engine depot is in IL
Old 06-17-2007, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by veloom
X3
Before I bought my SS/SC I had a GTP. When Intense first came out with their PCMs for the GTPs, they were running the cars lean with to much timing. The cars made some serious power but then they starting breaking. I'd assume and hope that Intense has learned from this though, and now makes their tunes safer.
unfortunately it doesn't look like it - this is the problem the delta platform's seeing too
Old 06-17-2007, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SilverBalt13
X2.... Thats why everyone says to get a custom tune. Everyones car reacts differently to mods and we all drive in different environments.
Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum,
What might be right for you, may not be right for some.
A man is born, he's a man of means.
Then along come two, they got nothing but their jeans.

But they got, Diff'rent Strokes.
It takes, Diff'rent Strokes.
It takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.

Everybody's got a special kind of story
Everybody finds a way to shine,
It don't matter that you got not alot
So what,
They'll have theirs, and you'll have yours, and I'll have mine.
And together we'll be fine....

Because it takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.
Yes it does.
It takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lots of satisfied mail order tunes. They are called GM stage 1/2
Old 06-17-2007, 12:43 PM

I've personally got to take a look at an Intense tune, and even as a newbie to tuning I could tell it was jacked up pretty bad. I wouldn't even consider it a good base tune to start with. I could probably whip up something in less than an hour better than what I saw from Intense. I'm not trying to hate, but I call it like I see it.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:35 PM

I have Intense Stage 4 and I've had it for almost a year now and have not had any problems. I had them install and dyno tune it for me. I am more than happy with their tune,serivce, and company. I highly recommend them to everyone I can. Pretty much like everyone else is saying a custom tune is better because every car is different. They can't compensate for everything by just mailing you a base tune. Intense will be more than happy to correct your tune if something is not right FOR FREE!! They will even mail a new PCM out the same day so your not waiting forever. Intense was the company that started what we have for our cars. They steped up when GM wouldn't. Its time to give them credit where credit is do. The reason most everyone's cars were blowing up was because they were running a 2.5" pulley with no cooling mods. Everyone knows now these cars can't handle the heat. A 2.5" is too small without some sort of cooling mod. Also Intense recommends a scan gauge and wideband to monitor everything. Not their fault if you don't monitor everything. GM tunes from what I hear and read aren't that great. They run pig rich or lean. Nothing is going to be perfect. Sorry for the short story but there is NOTHING wrong with Intense.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:14 PM

Well if they installed the kit and dyno tuned your car then its not a mail ordered tune then is it.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:08 AM
Former Vendor

1) We can't know everyones exact setup (and somtimes it changes after our PCM is installed) so our mail order tunes have a safety margin built into them which goes RICH under WOT. A wideband will confirm this. Is this the best for power probably not but it is safer.

2) Fueling based on MAF, MAP and 02 sensor readings should not need to be retuned for thigs such as elevation as the MAF sensor will pickup the extra (or less if higher elevations) air and provide fueling based on the tune. This is how GM (and INTENSE) does it and why you don't need a re-tune if you drive to Denver in a stock car.

3) Of course a dynotune is preferred for power and safety over a mailorder tune. We offer dynotuning services for precisely this reason. Changes in the placement of the MAF sensor can change the accuracy of its reading which may also skew AFR almost always to the lean side (again why we have a richening AFR in our mail order tunes).

4) Our LSJ PCM's do NOT have a history of going lean and blowing motors. If cars are going lean it is because their fueling system is not keeping up (usually because people are putting a 2.8 or smaller pulely on a 42.5's at 7000 rpm).