2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

lsj heat exchanger question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lsj heat exchanger question

This might of been covered already

Currently I have an aftermarket cx racing heat exchanger with option b hooked to it.

I'm wondering if its really necessary to hook it up with the stock heat exchanger? Will I see a change in my intake temps?

Stock endplate also

I'm getting tuned next week and just wondering if its really something i should do

Thanks
Old 05-16-2013, 04:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Generally, the more fluid you have in the system, the less prone to heat soak you become. I've always ran my stock h/e and aftermarket one in series, but I have seen others bypass the factory unit.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
we don't heat soak
Old 05-17-2013, 11:30 AM

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts
The CXRacing FMHE holds about them same amount of coolant as the stock HE. So if you bypass the stock to the CXR then your effectively just using the stock capacity. Run them in sequence and you double the amount of coolant in the system. More is better.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
we don't heat soak
Call it what you want. You're telling me that after a few hot laps at the track there is no heat soak? The more fluid you have in the h/e system, in theory IAT temps will recover faster.

To quote you on a previous thread..."your ******* high"
Old 05-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

the manifold mey get the same temp as the head but the laminova cores do not get the same temp as the manifold due to the cooler liquid flowing through them then back out to the H.E. which then takes the heat out of the coolant so it can start the process over again so the system gets hot but not heat soaked

technicaly Heat soak only occurs when you shut the engine off. It's basically the engine retaining all the heat that would usually be dissapated through the flowing coolant in the engine. Since the water pump is no longer moving water through out the radiator the engine cannot be cooled, thus keeping the heat soaked in the engine and the the same for the H.E. system
Old 05-17-2013, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well said
Old 05-17-2013, 12:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
the manifold mey get the same temp as the head but the laminova cores do not get the same temp as the manifold due to the cooler liquid flowing through them then back out to the H.E. which then takes the heat out of the coolant so it can start the process over again so the system gets hot but not heat soaked

technicaly Heat soak only occurs when you shut the engine off. It's basically the engine retaining all the heat that would usually be dissapated through the flowing coolant in the engine. Since the water pump is no longer moving water through out the radiator the engine cannot be cooled, thus keeping the heat soaked in the engine and the the same for the H.E. system
So this is why my temps jump to like 140 when I have the car off....ridiculous.

Would having the car off but leaving the electronics on(which would make ic pump be on) prevent this?
Old 05-17-2013, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Twoozofjuice

Would having the car off but leaving the electronics on(which would make ic pump be on) prevent this?
I do leave my IC pump on when the car is off after going down the track. It may help, although without any air flow since the car isn't moving, it doesn't help that much. I do fill my flow-through tank with ice as well which helps more.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:20 PM

I completely understand your point. Well said. I would still consider it to be heat soak in a sense, however.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Twoozofjuice

command the fans on and the ic pump when car is off and that will help

Originally Posted by Hockeyman
I completely understand your point. Well said. I would still consider it to be heat soak in a sense, however.
you can consider it if you want but it is not heat soak