2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

My coolant Went somewhere.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My coolant Went somewhere.

last time i did my oil change i forgot to plug in my barometric pressure sensor, through a code, reset it with my scan gauge. car runs fine and what not but now it tells me i'm low on coolant, checked it and it is indeed low. it was fine before never told me low coolant and the tank was full. i didnt burn any and its not leaking or anything, where the hell did it go? maybe its time to put in a diff mix in. hmm i dunno any ideas?
Old 10-25-2008, 01:49 PM

i had a very similar problem with low coolant light.....

just befor ei got rid of my sc for almost an entire year it would constantly say low coolant .

i have nothing but service bills from the dealership saying there is nothing wroong with the car, motor, coolant ...nothing?

they even put die in it and waited a week ...nothing

one friday i was heading out of town after work ( bout an hour drive ) for the weekend. warning was on. wtf???? took it straight to them drove in and left it running and said look , there it is !

he acknowledged it was on looked at the resovoir(sp) and said it should be fine to drive on till monday.it was just below te line for the coolant. figured it was fine.

hit the highway and made it to my destination but car was running weird....
pop the hood and bone dry resovoir(sp) !!!!!

borrowed a friends car ,found a service station that had coolant and came back in to town and showed them the pictures i had taken .

turns out the whole time of the coolant leak, the head was cracked ! they had not seen a case like this here in canada at the time.it had been documented in the states of the problem and it was warrantied very quickly.when the pulled the head off to change it they found a bunch of valves and a rod seized form the lack of coolant. all covered under warranty.
new owner was brought aware of problem and has been fixed by the dealership and the car is running great now. guy is a co-worker of mine so i still get to see the car everyday.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:52 PM

well **** makes me worried although i think the coolant level is steady as of now no more no less, i'll look into it further, but **** i hope thats not the case. i'll check again. i'll probably drain the dex cool and put a dif mix in it. how long was the car in the shop?
Old 10-25-2008, 01:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
With the colder weather the coolant has less expansion and causes the coolant to register as low. If you are even 2 ounces low it will show low coolant on these cars. Just add a little and you should be fine.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalttc05
well **** makes me worried although i think the coolant level is steady as of now no more no less, i'll look into it further, but **** i hope thats not the case. i'll check again. i'll probably drain the dex cool and put a dif mix in it. how long was the car in the shop?

all in all about the week to chage head and components over. good luck bro. when they tell you they cant find anything wrong....tell him your buddy had the same problem and it was a cracked head lol
Old 10-25-2008, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by rnjmur
With the colder weather the coolant has less expansion and causes the coolant to register as low. If you are even 2 ounces low it will show low coolant on these cars. Just add a little and you should be fine.
alright i'll try that, but this was about a month and a haldf ago this started so it wasn't to cool still 70's or so but i'll give it a try thanks

Originally Posted by jefferyss
all in all about the week to chage head and components over. good luck bro. when they tell you they cant find anything wrong....tell him your buddy had the same problem and it was a cracked head lol
damn lol a week **** haha. will do they'll **** a brick for sure. on another note will they not give you a rental car unless your 21+

Last edited by EatonTVS07; 10-25-2008 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-25-2008, 04:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rnjmur
you're coolant will always be the same temperature range....this deifnitely is not the case.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:08 PM

Thats scary i have a low coolant light right now that comes and goes on and off but looks okie im gonna check it like everyday now.... better not have a cracked head at 59 000km...
Old 10-25-2008, 09:15 PM

think about what it could me it could indeed be a cracked head or you could have a leak but it sometimes wont show when the car is off because it has a vacuum on the coolant...you could have a clogged rad, next time you run your car heat it up to running temp shut it off and pop the hood watch the rad hoses for bout 20-30 if the rad hoses suction shut (collapse) then you have a bad cap on the rad. just some things to look for good luck!
Old 10-26-2008, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Iwhine
Thats scary i have a low coolant light right now that comes and goes on and off but looks okie im gonna check it like everyday now.... better not have a cracked head at 59 000km...
mine was at 31000 kms
Old 10-26-2008, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by ssaddiction
think about what it could me it could indeed be a cracked head or you could have a leak but it sometimes wont show when the car is off because it has a vacuum on the coolant...you could have a clogged rad, next time you run your car heat it up to running temp shut it off and pop the hood watch the rad hoses for bout 20-30 if the rad hoses suction shut (collapse) then you have a bad cap on the rad. just some things to look for good luck!
thanks i'll be sure to give that a try