2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

My "Large" ZZP Parts Order I'm About to Fire Off - Comments?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is your reason? You are the first one ive herd in a while with negativity in their exhaust.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hoytshootr
what is your reason? You are the first one ive herd in a while with negativity in their exhaust.
**** poor welds, shitty flange fitment (was warped and had to be redrilled to get it to mount to the head) and the flange doesnt match the ports on the head like the ebay piece does.

vs

Name:  P6170483_zps14f3365d.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  55.4 KB
Old 07-29-2014, 01:17 PM

hmm... i guess those are good reasons. lol im sorry to hear about your bad experience from them but i installed my shorty header from zzp last night and i have zero complaints. why didnt you tell zzp about your problems and send it back?
Old 07-29-2014, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by hoytshootr
hmm... i guess those are good reasons. lol im sorry to hear about your bad experience from them but i installed my shorty header from zzp last night and i have zero complaints. why didnt you tell zzp about your problems and send it back?
"if you want oem quality and fitment buy oem parts" - zoomer
Old 07-29-2014, 02:01 PM

ouch... i can see your point in this case... thats a hugh chunk of change to expect anything less than oem quality...
Old 07-29-2014, 08:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SunburstSS
AEM UEGO connects to HPTuners as well for data logging
Dang, I was liking the PLX, I'd probably be going UEGO tho if it adds more functionality.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
you do not need the fuel pump or the coupler or the plug or the spacer

your not going to max out the m62 potential with just bolt on **** if you want to do that step up to the plate and port the head resleeve the block run a set of 11to1 pistons a good set of rods and cams and valve springs an ati dampener find a great tuner and run some spray
Point taken, but this is the limits of my abilities, I am an app developer by day, I only work on cars on weekends.

Definitely wish I could do this...

Originally Posted by Staged07SS
Save $100 and skip the intake manifold spacer.

It's not needed, and usually ends up causing a leak.
Really? Invaluable advice, but I've not heard this before, is this from personal experience?

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
you do not need the fuel pump or the coupler or the plug or the spacer

your not going to max out the m62 potential with just bolt on **** if you want to do that step up to the plate and port the head resleeve the block run a set of 11to1 pistons a good set of rods and cams and valve springs an ati dampener find a great tuner and run some spray
Oh, I need a new fuel pump, so that's why I'm buying the pump. The rest, may be optional as you say, thanks for the advice!

Last edited by boostbalt; 07-29-2014 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-29-2014, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by JapEatr
Snout plug is reusable when servicing the coupler. M62 only holds 4oz of oil.
Great advice as well, I only got the snout plug because I hear it often is stuck in, is that perhaps operator error? He said it was seized in..
Old 07-29-2014, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Spawne32
their mid length header kit sucks, i regretted buying it the day i received it. Id recommend the stainless steel ebay longtubes.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/gene...review-304942/
This has to be a troll.. No? I read that review, it seems like a roll of the dice!!!

Am I missing something here? There was a unfinished weld, and exhaust leak mentioned in the review. Not good in my books.

Last edited by boostbalt; 07-29-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:32 PM

Everything mrb said.

But for just a weekend warrior I'd still add a ported head from lsjion, an ATI and some stage 3 cams
Old 07-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by boostbalt

Really? Invaluable advice, but I've not heard this before, is this from personal experience?
Nope thats what everyone says dont do the mani spacer they do usually leak and the gains arent there unfortunately
Old 07-29-2014, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Spawne32
**** poor welds, shitty flange fitment (was warped and had to be redrilled to get it to mount to the head) and the flange doesnt match the ports on the head like the ebay piece does.

I have the ZZP Midlength header and downpipe, and that is not at all what mine looked like. It looked a lot better and lined up better than the eBay one you also showed. Not sure where you got that one from, but it wasn't ZZP.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by iToastie
I have the ZZP Midlength header and downpipe, and that is not at all what mine looked like. It looked a lot better and lined up better than the eBay one you also showed. Not sure where you got that one from, but it wasn't ZZP.
Is that so?

Old 07-29-2014, 09:47 PM

This has to be a troll.. No? I read that review, it seems like a roll of the dice!!!

Am I missing something here? There was a unfinished weld, and exhaust leak mentioned in the review. Not good in my books.
Didnt have any problems with my ebay header, in fact i posted it in that thread. Been running great ever since and I got better performance out of it compared to the ZZP piece, but your welcome to buy whatever you want to buy, its your money.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:48 PM

Great advice as well, I only got the snout plug because I hear it often is stuck in, is that perhaps operator error? He said it was seized in..
stuck in? no its only torqued to 8 ft lbs, problem is its a torque socket, 9 times out of 10 it strips out.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:50 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
this dudes gonna end up not buying **** lol

ill play my part..

you dont need cooling mods. opt b is good though

the plug may seem stuck because its steel and the blower is cast aluminum. the two different materials heat up and expand differently making it harder to untorque the bolt, just like the drain plug on the transmission. itll go with some persuasion

Last edited by southal cobalt; 07-29-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:54 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by riceburner
Nope thats what everyone says dont do the mani spacer they do usually leak and the gains arent there unfortunately
I have had my spacer on for 3+ years.... no leaks.

I bought it when they first came out and everyone was raving about them. Honestly, not sure how effective it is because I threw it on with a heat exchanger, dual pass, opt b at the same time. On a hot day (90+ degrees) my iat2 temps will get into the 140-150s after a hard pull through the top of 4th on a 2.7... they drop pretty quickly though. I'm on the E, so not to worried lol.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:58 PM

i hit 165 iat2 at the top of third daily. who needs cooling lol
Old 07-29-2014, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by southal cobalt
this dudes gonna end up not buying **** lol

ill play my part..

you dont need cooling mods. opt b is good though

the plug may seem stuck because its steel and the blower is cast aluminum. the two different materials heat up and expand differently making it harder to untorque the bolt, just like the drain plug on the transmission. itll go with some persuasion
Why would you say cooling mods arent needed when its already been proven that the dual pass and option B along with a good heat exchanger improve efficiency of the supercharger system astronomically.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:14 PM

i dont think the cost is worth the benefit. you could spend 600 on all the cooling mods or save up for a ported head and get more flow and cooling.

my iats go over 160 at the end of third gear in the hottest and most humid alabama weather. thats worse case scenario. i understand that volume is lost as air density decreases, less timing advance is available, but if you dont have the money to spend on cooling, its not such a big deal. if someone wants a 2.8" pulley or so, they should just go for it. the low end torque is worth it. will my car make the same power when iats get that high? no, but i can live with that.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by southal cobalt
i dont think the cost is worth the benefit. you could spend 600 on all the cooling mods or save up for a ported head and get more flow and cooling.

my iats go over 160 at the end of third gear in the hottest and most humid alabama weather. thats worse case scenario. i understand that volume is lost as air density decreases, less timing advance is available, but if you dont have the money to spend on cooling, its not such a big deal. if someone wants a 2.8" pulley or so, they should just go for it. the low end torque is worth it. will my car make the same power when iats get that high? no, but i can live with that.
I don't want to sound like a dick. However, in this case, this is only a fraction of what I got to spend. So I don't mind spending $600 or $1200 more, if it means a bit more performance and better cooling. I am a bit of a cooling fiend.

I thought the spacer was to prevent heat soak of the SC from touching the aluminum intake? Is that not correct? Because it seems it'd logically work for such a task..

Thanks, I guess I read a lot of information about these when they came out, so I'm surprised at the 180.

PS: I guess I should mention, I want to go full-bolt-on, I made the mistake of saying maxing out the M62. Not ready to port heads and stuff just yet, I will probably go turbo next (few years) and do it all.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:52 PM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Buy a griffen
Old 07-29-2014, 11:17 PM

I don't want to sound like a dick. However, in this case, this is only a fraction of what I got to spend. So I don't mind spending $600 or $1200 more, if it means a bit more performance and better cooling. I am a bit of a cooling fiend.

I thought the spacer was to prevent heat soak of the SC from touching the aluminum intake? Is that not correct? Because it seems it'd logically work for such a task..

Thanks, I guess I read a lot of information about these when they came out, so I'm surprised at the 180.

PS: I guess I should mention, I want to go full-bolt-on, I made the mistake of saying maxing out the M62. Not ready to port heads and stuff just yet, I will probably go turbo next (few years) and do it all.
doesnt hurt my feelings. im a broke ass college student lol. im probably one of the few who has no cooling on a 2.8" pulley. i overlooked that you were buying a spacer and i think the idea behind them is good and they have been positively reviewed when they dont leak.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:19 PM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Why not buy tvs and injectors?
Old 07-29-2014, 11:22 PM

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
If your planning to go turbo then just wait and go turbo, don't even bother dicking around with the supercharger. When all is said and done you still got to install the parts, tune for them then when you decide it's time to turbo, your gonna have to uninstall everything part it out for half of what you paid , then get the turbo set-up Yada Yada Yada....

If you really need something to satisfy you before going turbo I'd go with bigger injectors, option b, maybe a smaller pulley, and meth. A ported head could do wonders but might as well do cams at the same time so id wait on that, again if you are certain you want to go turbo.

If you were planning to go tvs on the other hand that changed things a bit

Quick Reply: My "Large" ZZP Parts Order I'm About to Fire Off - Comments?