2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

My winter build

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My winter build

I plan on doing a build this winter, but I will not be touching the lnf engine. It will stay stock.

I want to get dejons hot upper piping with the hks blow off valve along with the recirculating line.
I also want their intake, and will use an aem filter. I will not have them weld the maf sensor hole on the intake though.
I'm going to get clear image autos relocating maf kit, and lower cold pipe.
I also want to get their 3" catless downpipe. I'll be getting a 3" exhaust cutout, because I want to retain the stock exhaust.

I'm not sure of the intercooler at the moment.

Now for the actual build: K04 turbo upgrade

I'm wanting to do the BTF compressor wheel upgrade, along with the ported housing, and their clipped turbine wheel to avoid any compressor surge.

Then once I get it back, i'll send them the core back and bolt all the lines and put everything back to stock.
Main reason I want to do it this way is so everything can pretty much remain stock, and continue using the same manifold and oil lines. Plus the turbo will look stock as well.

As far as tuning, I currently have the 18/24 infiniboost tune with trifecta.
What I want to do is make it 24/30 psi. I want to also add meth into the mix as well.
I know the stock turbo has its limitations with making a lot heat at 24 psi, and at about 5k where it meets its peak as far as boosting effeciently.

I'm wonder what you guys think about doing the upgrade, hopefully with that and the meth it'll help the heat and its already noted that turbo will be able to go through 7400 without peaking.

My goal is at least 400 hp, and if not really close to it.
Torque should actually surpass that though as the infiniboost tune now with 28 psi had around 370 tq.

I will also get a stage 3 clutch and flywheel from clutchmasters.

Let me know what you think, is my goal ascertainable?

Even if it falls short of 400, i think It'd be worth it for an extra 50-60 horses, because with all the upgrades i'm going to do i can make it for around 2500, clutch included. Whereas something like the synapse turbo kit will run 3900.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:26 PM

28psi... thats quite a bit, u should be able to make 400 with going that high. i dont think these block or sleeves like 28psi too much, imo
Old 11-21-2009, 02:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I uhhh dont think you'd need 28psi to hit 400whp... you should talk to some tuners on the forum here like term2 who are with only a tune and a hot pipe at like 350whp...with a downpipe, upgraded turbo and a intake with a tune I bet you could get close... but be interesting to see.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wrong section, this is the LSJ section, not the LNF :p
Old 11-21-2009, 02:50 PM

ah me and u going for 400 eventually. nice my friend. gl with ur stuff I wanna SEE! dont make me drive to austin now lol
Old 11-21-2009, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jn2
wrong section, this is the LSJ section, not the LNF :p

oops. thought i hit lnf.

Originally Posted by northvibe
I uhhh dont think you'd need 28psi to hit 400whp... you should talk to some tuners on the forum here like term2 who are with only a tune and a hot pipe at like 350whp...with a downpipe, upgraded turbo and a intake with a tune I bet you could get close... but be interesting to see.
yea, i'm bone stock right now besides a k&n filter and tune.
do you know how much psi they are running?

Last edited by ei3dag3; 11-21-2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-21-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by interviewatruins
oops. thought i hit lnf.

yea, i'm bone stock right now besides a k&n filter and tune.
do you know how much psi they are running?
bah no I have a horrible memory, maybe 24? The stock turbo can only flow sooo much, its tiny! going 400 on a stock sized turbo imo I wouldnt recommend. You'd want a much larger turbo to stay more efficient/safe/power band.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by northvibe
bah no I have a horrible memory, maybe 24? The stock turbo can only flow sooo much, its tiny! going 400 on a stock sized turbo imo I wouldnt recommend. You'd want a much larger turbo to stay more efficient/safe/power band.
but it wouldn't be stock, it'd have a porting job and a completely new compressor wheel.
i would go with another turbo i want it to look stock, and avoid using different oil lines as well.

heres some info on it.
this is quoted from another site. local_cobalt_net and RBC, posted it.

Originally Posted by RBC
K04 Turbo Compressor Wheel Upgrade: This is a upgrade of the stock turbo, and this entails the machining of the inside of the turbo to make room for a larger billet compressor wheel. This will intern flow more air and increase HP/TQ across the entire power band. The stock turbo runs "out of breath" so to speak at just over 5k rpms were it peaks and falls fast. The upgraded wheel will make it over 6500rpm before it starts to fall off and will still make more boost/power then the stock turbo trough 7400 rpm were the stocker would have tucked its tail between its legs along time ago.

Here is the billet wheel I speak of. What a beauty!

Those who like maps:

Stock compressor map

Upgraded Compressor Wheel

-The test car was a 08 SS/TC with 3' catless exhaust from the turbo back, upgraded charge piping, and intercooler upgrade running a stock tune.

Now for what most of you care about: Peak power

First dyno graph is one base run with stock tune then the upgraded turbo with stock tune.

259tq & 256hp on stock turbo - 278tq & 278hp on upgraded turbo

As you can see it did make more power on the stock tune but as you may or may not know this may be short lived do to the stock Computer. The stock computer will increase or decrease boost to make its power quota, no more no less. The power will be cut down once the computer adjust all the parameters. Does this mean you will see no benefit on doing this on a stock car? No it does not, what you will see with this turbo on a stock tune is a flatter, longer HP and TQ curve. So for example on this car were the stock power peaks at 256hp@5500 rpm and falls it will now hit the said 256hp@5000rpm and carry it through past 6500rpm give or take. Now is this worth the for the $829 price tag? For most of us probably not, the benefit is in the tune.

Second dyno graph is stock tune with K04 upgrade versus tuned with K04 upgrade.

278tq & 278hp on stock tune - 359tq & 315hp with a tune

As you can see the tune opens up a allot more hp and tq. I couldn't find stock tune and turbo over laid on tuned with upgraded turbo but I will keep looking. The tuned run is pushing 22psi. The guy that did the tuning did this late at night and know with more work he can get 315hp out of this turbo. He was planning on going back to the dyno to work on the tune but they were falling behind on the GT3076R kit the are making so he had to take the K04 off and continue on that so he could get the guys car back to him. From what I have herd is that the GXP and Redline guys are getting upward of 330hp with the same mods as this cobalt and he anticipates more HP out of our car due to its FWD configuration. Once more people purchase this turbo I think that when we all will start seeing the bigger numbers.

Her are some informative links lings about this turbo: Cobalt link - Solstice/Sky link

Where to purchase this turbo and how much?
This turbo is available through BTF Racing for $829 but he is running a spacial for $749 and I am not sure how long it will last. BTF LINK

A little info on BTF(Bald Turbo Freak)- He works for New Era Performance as there R&D/fabricator man. New Era is in the work in putting this up on there site and I am sure in the end it will be purchased through them. New Era LINK

I will try and get these guys over here to become supporting vendors because it looks like we really need more.

If you guys have any questions let me know.

For those that are curious, here are some pics of the stock turbo.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:02 AM

looks sexxy do itt lol i started my tear down today
Old 11-22-2009, 03:26 AM

thanks! any other input?
Old 11-22-2009, 12:23 PM

yes but its only slightly different. so with a tune they got 315hp 359 torq...yet that could be done on a tune without a turbo upgrade easily. even on a ported k04, 400hp imo thats out side of that tiny things effeciency range. You are gonig to be running that sucker hot as hell. It will shorten the life and at that price...you mind as welll get a different turbo. although you'd need a manifold then too....unless theres some adapter thing.

Arent there any bigger twin scroll turbo's?