2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Need help finding new piston rings

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need help finding new piston rings

Hello all im a new member here i have a 2005 ss, been having alot of problems with it. I finally found out what was wrong with it, i blew a piston ring(ya not to good). I dropped the pan and saw pieces of the ring in there. I also looked up into the cylinders and saw no appearant scaring.

So now with the help part, i need help finding piston rings, or any ideas on which ones to get, and what is the easiest way to replace them. It looked prety easy, looks like i just have to pull the bottom of the block off, and take the crank out and walla the pistons drop. But like i said i need help i have no clue never pulled apart a 2.0 before.

So any suggestions are greatly appreciated, and thx.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:19 PM

nothing like this is never this easy lol.... and even tho ive never taken apart an lsj, every motor ive put pistons in you can drop the crank, you need to take off cyl head and up goes the piston...

and that is just the easy part, getting clearences and parts installed 100% correct is the hard part..

and while its all off why not put in forged pistons... check out the vendor ottp they will get you what you need...
Old 08-28-2009, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you wanna leave the block in the car it can get a bit tricky. as stated above the head has to come off aswell as the oil pan. you dont need to remove the girttle or the crank, you can gently tap the pistons out the top from underneath the car with a long screw driver but you have to be very careful to not damage the skirt of the piston or your cylinder wall. you have to be careful of the oil squirters aswell. and getting some diamond pistons would be a good idea, i went with diamond pistons and total seal rings on both of my builds. getting new bearings and all new bolts for the lower end would be a good idea, id reccomend ARP, because you can re use them if you wanted to. good luck and dont hesitate to ask more questions.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by cobaltBss05
Hello all im a new member here i have a 2005 ss, been having alot of problems with it. I finally found out what was wrong with it, i blew a piston ring(ya not to good). I dropped the pan and saw pieces of the ring in there. I also looked up into the cylinders and saw no appearant scaring.

So now with the help part, i need help finding piston rings, or any ideas on which ones to get, and what is the easiest way to replace them. It looked prety easy, looks like i just have to pull the bottom of the block off, and take the crank out and walla the pistons drop. But like i said i need help i have no clue never pulled apart a 2.0 before.

So any suggestions are greatly appreciated, and thx.
If you have piston ring damage then you definately have a damaged piston also. If you have it apart maybe upgrade the pistons as well so it won't happen again. Diamond Racing has a great piston for the LSJ engine. That is what we used in all the LSJ Salt Flats Land speed record engines. The also sell rings to go with their pistons, Perfect Circle, I think.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:44 AM

So to make things short pulling the pistons out from the top would be easiest, and new pistons would be the best thing to do? ok ill go look at prices for the pistons now thx for the help. Oh if i pull them out from the top would i have to readjust all the lifters and valves, and what not?

So new question how do i replace the pistons? I cant afford to have someone else do it im a poor airman lol.

Last edited by cobaltBss05; 08-29-2009 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-29-2009, 10:40 AM

Pull the head, drop the pan. Undo all the rod bolts and push the pistons out from the top from the bottom. Basically it in a nutshell.

I'll have to tell you though that most people who do their own rebuilds usually have the motor fail yet again within 3k miles. My guess is lack of knowledge on the latter.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:42 PM

Ok so i think i figured out the route of the problem, with the piston rings going out. I pulled the valve/cam cover off, and there was a rocker arm just laying in there it just popped off? Does anyone know if this could cause the other problem with the piston ring?

So now i figured im going to buy new cams, and the Diamond Racing pistons. I have already done everything else to the car that is for bolt ons. Now im thinking internals, since i already have the motor apart. What do you think, and what kind of cams should i go with?
Old 08-29-2009, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by cobaltBss05
Ok so i think i figured out the route of the problem, with the piston rings going out. I pulled the valve/cam cover off, and there was a rocker arm just laying in there it just popped off? Does anyone know if this could cause the other problem with the piston ring?

So now i figured im going to buy new cams, and the Diamond Racing pistons. I have already done everything else to the car that is for bolt ons. Now im thinking internals, since i already have the motor apart. What do you think, and what kind of cams should i go with?
A couple of theings could cause this. An engine over speed like missing a down shift by 2 gears of something hitting the valve like a piece of iston while the valve is open. Check to make sure the valve is not bent.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:46 PM

Ok later this week ill take a look at the valve to make sure its not bent. Hey at least i found out why the car ticks lol.