2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Noise That Has Been Going On For Months! Dealership has been unable to fix it, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise That Has Been Going On For Months! Dealership has been unable to fix it, ideas?

Hello guys,

I have had this same noise that has been going on for maybe 3 months or so. It is like a weird grinding noise that seems to be coming from underneath me somewhere. It will start to make the noise while the clutch is starting to disengage to start moving the car in 1st gear, and then it will make it again midway between the disengagement and the shift from 1st to 2nd gear(Not sure of any exact RPMs). Also, it will make it at random times in 2nd and third gear. It happens both when the clutch is being disengaged and while under normal acceleration.

I have brought it to two different dealerships, one of them I brought to twice, and the other I brought it to three times. The first time I brought it in, I dropped it off, picked it up and all they did was hear a random noise coming from the coil packs and fixed that with double sided tape. Didn't fix the real problem. Every other time, they tell me the noise doesn't duplicate for them. I make it VERY clear to them that it does not make the noise until the car has been heated up for a good amount of time, maybe a trip over 5 miles. But I think it has to do with once it goes through its first coolant cycle, than it will start to come.

I do not know what to do here, and I am bringing it in tomorrow, and the problem is worse than ever now, and hopefully they will hear it, as I told them I will bring it in all heated up, and they will come for a test drive with me.

In the mean time, any ideas that I can give to them to think about? Any ideas of what it could be would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:01 PM

Lemon law!!!!! 3 times to the dealer to fix the same problem with no results. Get a new one.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my stabilizer end links were fuked and would make noise when starting to disengage the clutch and at low speeds and stuff.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by stew_pidaso59
Lemon law!!!!! 3 times to the dealer to fix the same problem with no results. Get a new one.
Yea, but what if only one time the problem duplicated for them? They keep taking it on little 3-6 mile test drives, not allowing it to heat up enough for the problem to start. I think it may actually have been twice that the problem duplicated.

Also, for the lemon law, would I get all the money I spent on the car, or a depreciated amount?
Old 08-09-2010, 09:43 PM

For the lemon law it may differ per state, I too just found out my ******* cobalt ss i just bought is a lemon not even 30k on it yet and its been in for transmission repairs 3 times since i bought it in fed and the problem started in may. I know in michigan 4 attempts at fixing the problem and or they have had your car for 30 days or more it is considered a lemon and you will have to have the dealership to back you and you will have to call gm customer service/headquarters and have it all investigated. I'm pushing for GM to re-purchase my car for how much I took out on it and maybe sit myself in a new camaro SS or SS turbo balt. Good luck with your car man im starting to think these things are just a POS
Old 08-09-2010, 10:03 PM

mabye it could be your timing chain ten.? i have a sem. problem and thats what the dealership told me..ill find out in the morning
Old 08-09-2010, 10:36 PM

have them check the heat shield below the cat. they are notorious for cracking in 2 and will cause all sorts of noises that you think are a clutch or something else but in reality thats all it is
Old 08-09-2010, 10:38 PM

I brought it in today, and I gotta pay $500 for new brakes, and then the tech heard the problem a little bit, and said he thought it was the heat shield on the exhaust or the converter. I'm not exactly sure what he said. But since it seems to be heat related, they were going to check most things that were heat related.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Id drive it arround for a while, then take it to them, call ahead and have them ready to do a prelimilary look at it when you arive before you shut it off.

To me it sounds like its something messed up in the clutch though... not really sure though