2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Official Turbo LSJ thread!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 11:13 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 574
Why do some people tap the oil cap for a fitting that goes to a catch can and some people just use the rear port on VC?
Because they either
A) don't understand how the PVC system is supposed to work

Or

B) they don't care and just want to vent blow-by while catching the oil vapor.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by armcclure
The coffee straw hole at the back of the vc isn't for pulling air out...

It's the fresh air inlet. It's small so that the crankcase has vac present when the (larger) port in the head has vac applied to it.
you may be confusing that with the LNF. The LSJ in stock form has that rear PCV hooked to the intake under constant vacuum. Air cant enter there just for the simple fact that they are pulling vacuum from it. That would also negate the air oil seperaors at the end of that straw. There would be no need for them if it had air going into the crank case, which doesnt makes sense.

It runs from where my screwdriver is pointing to under two or three air oil separators. They are removed here.

Look where my thumb is at. You can see that same hole coming from the back of the head moving to the front of the head/VC. Its a long narrow passage way.

Look at the top you can see near the timing area that long aluminum tube built in from the back of the VC to the front to where the AOS are. If this was pressurized there would be no need for the AOS because air would be put into the crank case. There is no source to pressurize the the crank case on an LSJ except people with bad rings.

The hole at the head is just as small btw. Its just a second VAC source.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:24 AM

No, I'm talking about lsj. I'm not going to sit here argue with you about it because you clearly have your mind made up.

For those that care,
That rear line going to the intake post maf so that air entering the case is metered and won't cause idle issues. There's baffles because no matter how good of shape an engine it in, there will always be some amount of blowby. These baffles done work very well though, which is why you get that gummy oil on the tb and sc inlet.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:53 PM

No, I'm talking about lsj. I'm not going to sit here argue with you about it because you clearly have your mind made up.

For those that care,
That rear line going to the intake post maf so that air entering the case is metered and won't cause idle issues. There's baffles because no matter how good of shape an engine it in, there will always be some amount of blowby. These baffles done work very well though, which is why you get that gummy oil on the tb and sc inlet.
"gummy oil on the TB and SC inlet" you just contradicted yourself. Would that not indicate that oil is being pulled from the VC to intake. But for those that care...
Old 08-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

For those that care,
those baffles work just fine but when an engine is having serious blowby problems they can only catch so much and that goes for any baffled system most of the oil the intake gets comes from the port in the head
Old 08-07-2013, 03:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just curious John, how does the oil in the intake tube itself get there from the port in the head when the only line that goes back to the intake tube comes off of the valve cover? I am just trying to understand this.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by InfraRedline
Just curious John, how does the oil in the intake tube itself get there from the port in the head when the only line that goes back to the intake tube comes off of the valve cover? I am just trying to understand this.
Vac. Sucks it through the line.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:59 PM

No, I am asking how the port in the HEAD (front side, goes into intake manifold I believe) gets oil in the intake tube when the only line that runs back to the intake tube is the one that comes off of the valve cover.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
you have 2 sources of reliving crankcase pressure

1 the pcv port in the head that is a direct feed
2 the vent line from the back of the valve cover

the oil dose get into the intake tube from the manifold it gets there from the vent line from the back of the valve cover

when driving normal your pulling vacuum from the head and the vent line but more from the head as the vent line is restricted a lot more now when you build positive manifold pressure the check valve closes off the port in the head and then you are relying on the vent line from the back of the valve cover and that is where you get oil in the intake tube

that is why you run a good quality air/oil separator and increase the line size on the back of the valve cover and plug the head and keep it a closed system

and never gut the valve cover
Old 08-07-2013, 04:35 PM

Ok makes sense. The way you had it worded before made it a little confusing and made it seem like you guys were saying that the VC line was for inlet only and no pressure relief.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lmao is all im sayin..
Old 08-07-2013, 04:58 PM

The way john has now explained it is the way I had always believed it to work. He threw me for a loop when he worded is as he did above. I thought he was saying that the valve cover to intake line had no ventilation function and was strictly for clean air intake into the crank case at all times. Which is why I asked him to clarify, which he did.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:27 PM

The way john has now explained it is the way I had always believed it to work. He threw me for a loop when he worded is as he did above. I thought he was saying that the valve cover to intake line had no ventilation function and was strictly for clean air intake into the crank case at all times. Which is why I asked him to clarify, which he did.
you got it, there is no fresh air inlet for the crank case.

secondly as mrb said dont gut the VC, there is no need, I did it a year ago thinking I was going to reinvent the wheel. If you want to tap it like I did that is fine, just leave the baffles/steel plate in place. I have another VC that I am having powerdercoated and leaving the baffles/steel plate in place. I am going to tap it however like I did above for my catch can and vacuum source just above the steel plate to allow for extra crank case venting.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by c130aviator

"gummy oil on the TB and SC inlet" you just contradicted yourself. Would that not indicate that oil is being pulled from the VC to intake. But for those that care...
I most certainly did not. As I said, all engines have blow by. And this is what puts oil into the intake.

The vc port IS a fresh air inlet. Study some basic physics. At part throttle the post tb vac is greater than the intake tube, so the check valve in the head/IM pulls vac on the case. It wouldn't do any good to just suck on the case though; the while point it to get the vapors out. That's what the fresh air inlet is for.

Some of you really need to do some research on how the system works. It's NOT that ******* hard to understand.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:38 PM

Oh geesh here we go with the engineering/physics crap. Like everyone has or needs a degree. Funny you mention it thought I am starting my third year of school (Embry Riddle aero engineering) this semester.

Anyway if you plump your existing vent/custom vent into an oil catch or separator then to your turbo intake (like many of us here have done) you will be fine. I have read a lot of threads on these setups over the months and I see now why MRB has popped a blood vessel in his forehead over this. Its super simple and everyone including my self at one time or another had made this overly complicated.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:13 PM

The idea is fresh air in the crank case.

Helps cool the air coming out of the vc to turn the oil vaper back into a liquid.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same basic principle as big blocks except they introduce fresh air through one valve cover and it works it's way over to the other and into the vacuum ports on the throttle body
Old 08-07-2013, 07:27 PM

Exactly^^^^
Old 08-07-2013, 07:33 PM

I had recently have been having oil burning issues in my 454 and I decided to take a look closer at it. no vent on the valve covers. So I used this diagrahm and added a filter on the oil fill opening to see if that fixed my issue
Old 08-07-2013, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by c130aviator
Oh geesh here we go with the engineering/physics crap. Like everyone has or needs a degree. Funny you mention it thought I am starting my third year of school (Embry Riddle aero engineering) this semester.

Anyway if you plump your existing vent/custom vent into an oil catch or separator then to your turbo intake (like many of us here have done) you will be fine. I have read a lot of threads on these setups over the months and I see now why MRB has popped a blood vessel in his forehead over this. Its super simple and everyone including my self at one time or another had made this overly complicated.
Just because that works doesn't mean you comprehend the intended function of the stock pcv system. Which from everything you've said, you don't.

And as good of friends as John and I are, he doesn't either.

YES a big ass hose and vent into a can will keep your dipstick from popping and keep oil out of the intake. But that is NOT the only purpose of pcv. Trevor is one of the few in this combo that gets it. Sylvester is on the right track as well.

John feel free to call and yell at me

I learned all of this pcv stuff from someone smarter than half of us put together. You guys are the ones mixing up 2 different ideas and focusing on the wrong one.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:43 PM

When you said for John to call you and yell at you, all I heard in my head was "STX dawg! Poppin mollies biatches!" Lol
Old 08-07-2013, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by SylverSS/SC
When you said for John to call you and yell at you, all I heard in my head was "STX dawg! Poppin mollies biatches!" Lol
Ahhh you're the Canuck with the whiskey....

Anyway, maybe this will make better sense to some of you:
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/7035549-post27.html
Old 08-07-2013, 10:24 PM

Yea, that's me.

I have a valve cover with 4 -6an fittings welded on the sides. Not sure if I'll use this when I turbo my car next spring
Old 08-07-2013, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by SylverSS/SC
Yea, that's me.

I have a valve cover with 4 -6an fittings welded on the sides. Not sure if I'll use this when I turbo my car next spring
Over the lower crankcase ports?
Old 08-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

-6 isn't enough.

Quick Reply: Official Turbo LSJ thread!!!