2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

P0606 PCM Processor

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0606 PCM Processor

I'm having trouble getting my check engine light to go out. I live in Texas and I need a state inspection and registration. I bought this car in Florida and drove it back, they don't need a state inspection there. Shame on me I bought this car with the check engine light on. My temporary tags are expired 3 months now and the tag is completely faded, and I can't get my car registered until I get it inspected, and it wont pass inspection with a check engine light on.

2006 Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged

So the two codes that I always get from my computer are P0606 PCM processor, and P0172 system too rich.

I took my car to the dealer to see if they could tell me whats wrong with it, and get a list of all the aftermarket parts under the hood. I bought this car with all of these modifications on it already, and here's a list of all the stuff they found:

Engine mount strut
Exhaust manifold
Fuel injectors
Injector connectors
Boost gauge
Strut brace
Front struts
Front lower control arms
All four brakes and rotors
Catalytic converter
Wheels
Super charger pulley (2.8)
Super charger cooling system

And made a note,"E.C.M. has been changed or has been programmed for another vehicle"

Unfortunately they didn't elaborate on specs or manufacturers of these parts. But it looks like most of it is from ZZPerformance, and I'm sure it has 42lb. injectors. Also, they said with all of these modifications, they couldn't be for sure whats wrong with it.

I have two questions:

How do I get my check engine light to go out?

and

I picked this car up for $6800 at 120,000 miles, did I get an okay deal?
Old 09-25-2011, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, you can start eliminating parts from the list that wouldn't throw a code, like your brakes and rotors, and start from there.

P0172 is probably from the injectors, but most important not being tuned right, which is probably why you're getting P0606.

You can keep all that stuff and fix it with most likely a new tune.

$6.8k at 120k miles is okay.. not a great deal, but if you liked the car and it was in good condition, why the hell not. Miles aren't everything, but I hope that was a haggling price.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
P0606 - PCM / ECM Processor Fault
OBD-II DTC Technical DescriptionPCM / ECM Processor Fault

What does that mean?This code is a fairly simple one. It basically means that the PCM/ECM (powertrain/engine control module) has detected an internal integrity fault in the PCM. When this code is activated it should store freeze-frame data that helps someone with an advanced code scanning tool to get information on exactly what was going on with the vehicle when the P0606 code was triggered.

SymptomsMost likely the only symptom of a P0606 DTC code is the illumination of the "Check Engine Light" a.k.a. MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp).

CausesIn all likelyhood the PCM / ECM has failed.

Possible SolutionsAs a vehicle owner there is little you can do to fix this code. The most common fix for a P0606 code is to replace the PCM, although in some cases re-flashing the PCM with updated software could possibly fix this. Be sure to check for TSB's on your vehicle (Technical Service Bulletins).

In all likelyhood the fix is to replace the PCM. This is generally not a "do-it-yourself" task, although in some cases it may be. We strongly recommend you have a qualified repair shop / technician do the work, one that has the capability to reprogram the new PCM. Installing the new PCM may involve using special tools to program the vehicle's VIN (vehicle identification number) and/or anti-theft information (PATS, etc.).