2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Possible new Supercharger cooling mod?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 06:54 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by 315SS
I'm assuming your iat2 must be really high during a pull and that's why you're having such a hard time believing this lol. Idk about idling for a half hour because obv the iat2 is going to go up at idle bc of the lack of air passing by the sensor. But even still, I have 3 extra fans on a switch So even idling for an extensive period of time, yea the temp goes up but as soon as I get going again it goes right back down lol.

Anyway i I seen your post last night, litteralky walked outside popped open the he resovior and the liquid in there was 30*+\- below ambient, without any ice in the icebox. Pointed at liquid in resovior
Pointed at valve cover
How are you breaking the laws of thermodynamics?
The following users liked this post:
jdbaugh1 (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 08:39 AM

Received 140 Likes on 120 Posts
58 degrees outside and the gauge is reading 22 degrees?!?! im ******* amazed that this guy has crushed my child hood dreams of Bill Nye the Science Guy teaching me everything!!!
Old 09-08-2017, 09:12 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Like has been said, without ice it's against the laws of physics for a liquid to be colder than the air cooling it without a heat pump. Heat transfer is driven by temperature differential and if your fluid is that cold (we'll pretend it magically cooled below ambient without ice for a second) you would actually be HEATING the liquid with the air flowing through the heat exchangers.

Also this temp is below freezing. Do you use dry ice or put salt on your ice? If your IAT2 temps are BELOW ambient during a pull or normally that means that the fluid exiting your intake manifold is below ambient. Like I said earlier when the below ambient fluid flows through the heat exchangers they will actually be heating the coolant. So if you are actually telling the truth you would be better off just running your coolant through the icebox and having a bypass around the heat exchangers.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It has ice in the ice box monday morning, it's been 75 during that past couple days here, I can't see in the ice box to see if its melted, but the resovior isn't inline with the icebox, just an overflow. car idled for about 20 minutes to try set piston rings.

There is antifreeze in the mixture so that it can go below 32* and not freeze, a couple bottles of royal purple: purple ice & bottled water. Guess you'd have to see to believe idk. I was pretty surprised myself when I seen it reading in the 20s

I'll take a couple videos at dyno next week, there's nothing more I can say or do to explain why my intercooler works very well, I've already listed the reasons for why above. And it's not like I'm making some crazy claims out of no where looking for a attention or anything of that bature, I didn't even make this thread someone else posted a picture of my car and people stated askin. Questions, which I've explained to the best of my ability, I have no reason to lie or bullshit anyone.

i love how forums work though, someone asks a question, I answer it, Then argue with me about my answer lol 🤷🏻*♂️

Viperoni (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by 315SS
It has ice in the ice box monday morning, it's been 75 during that past couple days here, I can't see in the ice box to see if its melted, but the resovior isn't inline with the icebox, just an overflow. car idled for about 20 minutes to try set piston rings.

There is antifreeze in the mixture so that it can go below 32* and not freeze, a couple bottles of royal purple: purple ice & bottled water. Guess you'd have to see to believe idk. I was pretty surprised myself when I seen it reading in the 20s

I'll take a couple videos at dyno next week, there's nothing more I can say or do to explain why my intercooler works very well, I've already listed the reasons for why above. And it's not like I'm making some crazy claims out of no where looking for a attention or anything of that bature, I didn't even make this thread someone else posted a picture of my car and people stated askin. Questions, which I've explained to the best of my ability, I have no reason to lie or bullshit anyone.

i love how forums work though, someone asks a question, I answer it, Then argue with me about my answer lol 🤷🏻*♂️
You're still violating the laws of thermodynamics, you never addressed this. Unless you have an extremely well insulated ice box (or a huge one) there is no way you're getting 22*F. The lowest temperature for pure water ice is 32*F, those chemical additions will not allow ice to get colder since they don't come into contact with it. If you're running dry ice the 22*F is possible but after almost a week in there I doubt much would be left.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:23 AM

You do understand that even if your heat exchanger is 100% efficient it CANNOT cool your coolant to a temperature BELOW the air that is flowing through it right? It's physically impossible. And if your coolant mixture is BELOW ambient your heat exchangers are actually RAISING the temperature and you would be better off without them. These are just basic facts that apply to anyone. No matter how special your setup is it cannot defy the laws of physics.

Edit: Also, from what I have read, letting the car sit and idle for 20 minutes is exactly what you do not want to do to set piston rings.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:04 PM
Banned

Received 96 Likes on 91 Posts
At this point your screwing with us and know it. That's when I quit helping and commenting.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
Originally Posted by ECaulk
You're still violating the laws of thermodynamics, you never addressed this. Unless you have an extremely well insulated ice box (or a huge one) there is no way you're getting 22*F. The lowest temperature for pure water ice is 32*F, those chemical additions will not allow ice to get colder since they don't come into contact with it. If you're running dry ice the 22*F is possible but after almost a week in there I doubt much would be left.
If the ice box has antifreeze in it then it's entirely possible for the liquid to get below 32°F. The ice itself starts at same temp as the freezer where it came from, so likely around 0°F. The ice melting will chill the liquid, but it will equalize below freezing. It's the same way that salt works when you make homemade ice cream. The saline solution is well below freezing because the ice started colder.

If there is only water and ice in the ice box, then yes it's impossible.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by exninja
If the ice box has antifreeze in it then it's entirely possible for the liquid to get below 32°F. The ice itself starts at same temp as the freezer where it came from, so likely around 0°F. The ice melting will chill the liquid, but it will equalize below freezing. It's the same way that salt works when you make homemade ice cream. The saline solution is well below freezing because the ice started colder.

OP is also claiming he didn't put ice in it since Monday. Lowering the phase change temperature would also make the ice box absorb heat faster due to higher differential temperature. He would need some very fancy insulation for this to even be plausible. Like vacuum chamber surrounding the ice box like a thermos. And that is not even considering that the heat exchangers would melt that ice in a hurry if he had his IC pump running.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:34 PM

I was going through the thread to figure this out more. Your (jdbaugh1) post seemed a lot more towards the implausibility factor. If you're running an air heat exchanger AND the ice box you're just heating up the coolant to at best ambient. If it's just going through the ice box, you're going to blow through the ice in no time. That's where this doesn't add up.

EDIT: thinking about it, if the ice box is after the heat exchanger then you're not heating the coolant with the air heat exchanger.

Last edited by exninja; 09-08-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:38 PM

If the ice is after the heat exchanger, and the exchanger were perfectly efficient, then the ice would be cooling from ambient to 22°. I just can't see how the ice could last since Monday though.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:42 PM

From my understanding of most icebox setups, the ice is separate from the coolant or fluid you're circulating because ice chips or chunks are bad for flow
Old 09-08-2017, 01:42 PM

If the ice is after the heat exchanger, and the exchanger were perfectly efficient, then the ice would be cooling from ambient to 22°. I just can't see how the ice could last since Monday though.
Yeah me neither. OP also claimed his IAT2 temp is below ambient normally and sometimes during a pull. If the air is getting cooled below ambient then that means the coolant leaving the intake manifold is even colder. If the coolant leaving the intake manifold is cooler than ambient, even if his ice box is after the h/e the coolant entering the h/e would be below ambient and the h/e would actually warm the fluid up.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:44 PM

From my understanding of most icebox setups, the ice is separate from the coolant or fluid you're circulating because ice chips or chunks are bad for flow
I think what exninja is saying is that the ice box IS a closed off system but OP also added antifreeze to it to make the ice phase change at a lower temperature. So every-time he drained the icebox he would be dumping coolant as well.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:46 PM

Absolutely true, but the ice-water mixture can have an ionic mixture that would cause it to be colder. You'd have to do another heat exchanger in the box. Replacing antifreeze would get pricey. Saline wouldn't be materials-friendly. I'd also not bother because the ice would be gone way too fast.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
I think what exninja is saying is that the ice box IS a closed off system but OP also added antifreeze to it to make the ice phase change at a lower temperature. So every-time he drained the icebox he would be dumping coolant as well.
You would lose heat capacity of the fluid doing that, not to mention iirc heat transfer decreases as antifreeze content increases. Both would be a loss of efficiency for heat removal, not going to waste my time actually calculating the thermal loads or differences of different fluids and different expected minimum temperatures. Mostly because this guy is likely just putting his overflow cap in the freezer and going see look the overflow tank is XX*F, I'd like to see a thermocouple (fancy name for a thermometer) inline either off the cores or after the ice box to really see what the temperature is.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:53 PM

Lol yeah I never said it was a good idea just that that was possible what he was doing. I don't think he did that though. His ice box probably just holds an ice water mixture and he froze his cap or something like you said and this is all some sort of elaborate troll.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:17 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
if that tank was really that cold with ambient being what he claims, wouldnt the tank be covered in frost? kinda like your a/c drier gets.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
if that tank was really that cold with ambient being what he claims, wouldnt the tank be covered in frost? kinda like your a/c drier gets.
Good point, it should at least have condensation on it.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:32 PM
Banned

Received 96 Likes on 91 Posts
It's all a moot point! He's ******* with us.

Anyway i I seen your post last night, litteralky walked outside popped open the he resovior and the liquid in there was 30*+\- below ambient, without any ice in the icebox.
hawkssoccer11 (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by HGT
It's all a moot point! He's ******* with us.

Anyway i I seen your post last night, litteralky walked outside popped open the he resovior and the liquid in there was 30*+\- below ambient, without any ice in the icebox.
THIS!!!! he is def hitting the nail on the head right here!!
Old 09-08-2017, 03:03 PM

What's the motivation for trolling like this. Just to test how gullible we are?
Old 09-08-2017, 03:29 PM

Remember when the Subie guys came to troll that one person? It's not unheard of. This would be a whole other level though. That is some serious prepping for a troll.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
What's the motivation for trolling like this. Just to test how gullible we are?
has to be, but we are going to be gullible because we are car guys and we are going to try and figure out HOW something is done. so yes this will scratch our heads and get us all thinking and then in the end **** us all off.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:47 PM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkssoccer11
has to be, but we are going to be gullible because we are car guys and we are going to try and figure out HOW something is done. so yes this will scratch our heads and get us all thinking and then in the end **** us all off.
unless your like me and I don't believe anything you mother F*ckers say