2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Pulley info?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulley info?

sorry i didnt search but im at work and dont have time to. i just need to know what all i need to buy if i wanna get a smaller pully besides just the pulley? do i need a different belt or what? ive never dealt with SC's before... thanks!
Old 01-17-2006, 09:30 PM

It depends on what you want. If your staying above a 3" pulley then all you need is a pulley and puller tool. If you are going smaller you need a tensioner. You can also get a pulley kit setup so you can run different pulleys without having to remove the S/C. What are your needs, or wants?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:48 PM

well what is best for our cars? i was thinking maybe the pulley that you have, the 2.7". how much is the kit and where should i get it from?
Old 01-17-2006, 10:34 PM
Banned

It all depends on how much power you want, I run the 3" ZZP Pulley and NGK plugs and my car runs nice..

A 3" needs no belt or no work, straight swap, and you will boost 15psi over the stock 12.5lbs...even with the boost bypass on my car my car hauls ass with this thing...

Anything below a 3" you will need some kind of piggyback or tune (INTENSE KIT, or REV IT UP KIT, or GM KIT)...Its all up to how much power you want, and how much of a risk you are willing to take, i like my car in stock form, so im happy with the 3" Pulley..NO CODES 2...(knock on wood) lol but if you think it about it, it most likely wont throw any.

any more questions, feel free to ask!
Old 01-17-2006, 10:39 PM

Hey SilverSS, i have a question, when you throw on a new Pulley like you say, u have the 3"pulley, do u have to do anything with the computer for your boost gauge to read 15psi or will it automatically go up to it with the new pulley?
Old 01-17-2006, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by silverSS
It all depends on how much power you want, I run the 3" ZZP Pulley and NGK plugs and my car runs nice..

A 3" needs no belt or no work, straight swap, and you will boost 15psi over the stock 12.5lbs...even with the boost bypass on my car my car hauls ass with this thing...

Anything below a 3" you will need some kind of piggyback or tune (INTENSE KIT, or REV IT UP KIT, or GM KIT)...Its all up to how much power you want, and how much of a risk you are willing to take, i like my car in stock form, so im happy with the 3" Pulley..NO CODES 2...(knock on wood) lol but if you think it about it, it most likely wont throw any.

any more questions, feel free to ask!
so you feel a big difference with the 3"? i might go with that... is it a big enough difference to walk cars that you couldnt in the past? sorry but i know nothing about this, haha! how hard is the install as well?
Old 01-17-2006, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mines_Better
well what is best for our cars? i was thinking maybe the pulley that you have, the 2.7". how much is the kit and where should i get it from?
2.7" is the smallest you can go with out machining the snout of the supercharger so that a smaller one can fit. I only run the 2.7" because i'm at a very high altitude where i get low boost. A 2.7" pulley @ sea level with nothing else done is ver dangerous. If you are at sea level then i would go with Billet flow pulley kit with a 3.1 and possibly a 2.9, but i found when i go to a lower elevation with the computer controlling the boost i actually loose some in the high RPM's because its try to release the extra. I got my two pulleys for 160 from billetflow, they are awsome and are the best design i have seen. You would be better off to wait for either the GM kits or get the intense kit where you can run mmore boost and not damage anything.

so you feel a big difference with the 3"? i might go with that... is it a big enough difference to walk cars that you couldnt in the past? sorry but i know nothing about this, haha! how hard is the install as well?
With just a 3" pulley you'll notice a huge difference. With everything else stock you will get you power quicker and you should get a higher max. HP. Install is easy if you know how to do it, I've done 3 pulley swaps and finally on my third i figured out the trick to it.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chevypowered
2.7" is the smallest you can go with out machining the snout of the supercharger so that a smaller one can fit. I only run the 2.7" because i'm at a very high altitude where i get low boost. A 2.7" pulley @ sea level with nothing else done is ver dangerous. If you are at sea level then i would go with Billet flow pulley kit with a 3.1 and possibly a 2.9, but i found when i go to a lower elevation with the computer controlling the boost i actually loose some in the high RPM's because its try to release the extra. I got my two pulleys for 160 from billetflow, they are awsome and are the best design i have seen. You would be better off to wait for either the GM kits or get the intense kit where you can run mmore boost and not damage anything.
So chevypowered if i get the intense stage 3 kit i can put a 2.7 pulley on there? Im only about 700 above sea level and sometimes the barometric pressure is over 760 which 760 is standard for sea level...
Old 01-18-2006, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Squeeks
So chevypowered if i get the intense stage 3 kit i can put a 2.7 pulley on there? Im only about 700 above sea level and sometimes the barometric pressure is over 760 which 760 is standard for sea level...
If you get the intense kit they give you a 2.85" pulley which the system is already tuned for. If you go with a smaller pully you will run the chance of burning something with the lack of fuel.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:51 AM
Banned

For Jr CobaltSS...its not to bad of an install, you can browse around on here and the sister forums and see some of the How To Guides. IF in doubt, get the pulley, and have a mustang shop put it on for you, I say mustang because they use Eaton Blowers too, Lighting, Cobra...etc...Its not to hard of an install IMO, but I know a little bit about what im doing.

And For minesbetter, I would recommend the 3" because your in TX, with a lower elevation kinda like me... And yes it is a big enough differance to beat a car you couldnt before by about 1-2 cars, but not walk or stomp on um .And the 3" needs no tuning, no new belt, but with the 2.9 I have seen belt slippage, on other cars.. not alot, but its there, you need some sort of tensioner, and tuning for anything below a 3", IM not taking my car ***** to the wall, so a 3" is perfect for me, I dont even run the boost bypass, and this thing pulls hard, I seem to pull on the redlines just a little bit with the same mods, for some reason

BUt with the 3" it will shoot strait up at about 14-15lbs instantly and just build boost instantly, unlike stock where it pings at 10 and builds from there, the differance is there too, I have also been told it sounds like I have CAI when i have NO airbox mod at all, so the pulley makes her scream a little too...

sorry for rambling, Just trying to clear soms tuff up for you guys...anything else??
Old 01-18-2006, 07:14 AM

well what is best for our cars?

The "Best" is to leave it alone..
Old 01-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brian MP5T
The "Best" is to leave it alone..
amen
Old 01-18-2006, 01:00 PM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
i hear ya on 3" not needing ECm management but the GM kit is a 3" pulley too right?
then why the reflash and injectors if not needed

what do you guys think stage 1 with 2.85 pulley,

think the tune is restricted for a 3" pulley? i saw GMPP put a 73mm(2.88in) pulley for the 300 horese goal, hmm

the only thing i am thinking is the ECMs ability to regulate the bypass valve, and the warranty is what the GM has to offer

the pulley is black too, WTF i need some bling if im dropping 8-- on kit plus dealer install(which im not)
Old 01-18-2006, 03:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JapEatr
the pulley is black too, WTF i need some bling if im dropping 8-- on kit plus dealer install(which im not)
Thats why i like the black ZZP one, Looks like the stocker, for someone who didnt know much about the SS, they would think its stock! Thats a Good thing!!!
but i hear ya on the bling at the same time, it wouldddd look nice to have a nice chrome one

BTW how long did it take for your lower grill to come in the mail, i have been almost 2 weeks
Old 01-18-2006, 03:35 PM

I have a 3.15" pulley w/ boost mod. Nothing else needed. Swapped it. Gained great tq and about 12 hp. Car will shift better, respond better, power through all bands is increased. Full MPG slightly decreased .2 mpg.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:28 PM

Question Easy to do?

silverSS, I went to ZZ Performance's site and saw their pulleys. I must say, I'm definately intrigued. It looks relatively simple to do and seems to (based on this thread) give good "bang for the buck." Which pulley did you order? Did you get the "Press on Pulley?" And did you also order(or rent) the puller? I don't have any special tools so if I were to do this, I'd have to get my hands on the tool. I do have access to a garage and/or a lift, so that may help. Thanks!

Looz
Old 01-18-2006, 11:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LoozCannon
silverSS, I went to ZZ Performance's site and saw their pulleys. I must say, I'm definately intrigued. It looks relatively simple to do and seems to (based on this thread) give good "bang for the buck." Which pulley did you order? Did you get the "Press on Pulley?" And did you also order(or rent) the puller? I don't have any special tools so if I were to do this, I'd have to get my hands on the tool. I do have access to a garage and/or a lift, so that may help. Thanks!

Looz
The pulley install itself is alright to moderate, definatly call a freind to help you out removing the blower, 2 heard are better than one, The most difficult part was removing the stock pulley, You will get detailed directions on how to remove it if you BUY the ZZP Puller, I purchased it and after installing about 4 or 5 pulleys around here my bolts are stripped but they can be replaced (the little bolt that screws into the snout)... Pully is def. a great bang for buck!!! if you stay above 3". Id suggest buying a different tool, A few mustang and lighting shops took a look at it and sais WTF...ive got something wayyy easier than that, so you can take it to a shop that has the EATON pulley puller Thats what i would have done, if i had to do over again...
Old 01-18-2006, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by silverSS
The pulley install itself is alright to moderate, definatly call a freind to help you out removing the blower, 2 heard are better than one, The most difficult part was removing the stock pulley, You will get detailed directions on how to remove it if you BUY the ZZP Puller, I purchased it and after installing about 4 or 5 pulleys around here my bolts are stripped but they can be replaced (the little bolt that screws into the snout)... Pully is def. a great bang for buck!!! if you stay above 3". Id suggest buying a different tool, A few mustang and lighting shops took a look at it and sais WTF...ive got something wayyy easier than that, so you can take it to a shop that has the EATON pulley puller Thats what i would have done, if i had to do over again...
Why do you have to remeove the blower to install a pully? I dont own an SS yet but dont quite understand how come u couldnt just loosen the belt, take off the pully, and then put a new pull on and put on a new belt, esp if a stock belt already fits.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:48 AM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
technician interference with core support(no room to get the puller in there)
Old 01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
360 L337 User

yeah. too close to the passanger side.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
Why do you have to remeove the blower to install a pully? I dont own an SS yet but dont quite understand how come u couldnt just loosen the belt, take off the pully, and then put a new pull on and put on a new belt, esp if a stock belt already fits.
Go ahead and try to remove it without doing the blower.....impossible...you cant get leverage on the tool, at least the ZZP tool