2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

The quest for 600whp

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The quest for 600whp

Well I decided not too long ago when my car blew up running the TVS, since I was rebuilding I was going to go for big power.

Facts about the car for those who don't know:
Turbo swapped with PTE 5862
E85/ ID1000 injectors / DW300
ZZP block
Diamond 10:1
ZZP 4340
BS delete
Stock trans

Got tuned on WG pressure (9psi) by armcclure in early fall but due to a few issues I was never able to get retuned to see any power before it became winter time.

Options I have to supply the fuel I need-- Opinions welcome
BRFPS
Possibly a surge tank set up like japeatr
Bigger in tank pump such as the AEM or walbro 450
Bigger injectors

I have a set of zzp #82 valve springs I decided I'm going to throw in over the winter, when the turbo doesn't spool until 4-4500 you need to ride it as long as you can. I'm thinking I'll rev to 8k.

Additional parts for revving to 8k-- Opinions
ATI
MRB timing bolts

Right now this is simply a thread to get some good fuel discussion going. I hear people speak of building a real fuel system but no one has really talked about it until recently, japeatr and Lars
Old 11-20-2013, 02:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice thread. Should bring some good discussion and will be fun to watch for updates. I'm going for something similar as well. I am going to push to the limitations of the ID1k's, ottp RSFS, and a single AEM 320 pump before upgrading. I am thinking about 550whp is where I will run out of fuel, but I may be way off.

ATI and Mr. B fasteners are a great idea as well, and valve springs are pretty much a must. You will be amazed at what a few hundred rpm can do for you.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:34 PM

Yeah I was hoping you would have some fuel insight since I know what you have up your sleeve lol
Old 11-20-2013, 02:35 PM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
New timing components with upgraded bolts, ATI underdrive, springs, stock cams

Fuel system will vary upon demands, but rsfs and surge tank/inline 044 will be more than enough
Old 11-20-2013, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by JapEatr
New timing components with upgraded bolts, ATI underdrive, springs, stock cams

Fuel system will vary upon demands, but rsfs and surge tank/inline 044 will be more than enough
When I built the engine 1500 miles ago I used the GM deluxe timing kit. So all I will need is Johns bolts, ATI, I have springs and stock cams will be stock for $$ sake.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:39 PM

Just curious, why do you recommend the stock cams?

If I run out of fueling, if its the pump, I am going to try the double pump setup. Its old school I know, but all my high hp evo and subaru friends run double pump setups and have had great success.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm doing dual Bosch 044 pumps with a surge tank. I'm shooting for 600-650.
I have at the moment
Zzp s256
1000cc inj
BRFS
Ported head
Stage 2 cams
82lb springs titanium retainers
Full 3" exhaust no cat
E85
Coming soon..
Block is mr.b sleeves/Tjolly girdle
Pistons diamond 10.5:1
Zzp rods

So looks like were both right in the same ball park. Good luck! And I look forward to your build.

Last edited by bmcc2584; 11-20-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: ..
Old 11-20-2013, 02:43 PM

The 1000's will become your limiting factor in that fuel system bmcc, and the 256et will be on some pretty high boost to go for 600. The bump in CR helps.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:51 PM

I'm planning on upgrading inj. Just haven made up my mind yet.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by InfraRedline
Just curious, why do you recommend the stock cams?

If I run out of fueling, if its the pump, I am going to try the double pump setup. Its old school I know, but all my high hp evo and subaru friends run double pump setups and have had great success.
Mrb also recommended I go with the dual pumps. .

Originally Posted by bmcc2584
I'm doing dual Bosch 044 pumps with a surge tank. I'm shooting for 600-650.
I have at the moment
Zzp s256
1000cc inj
BRFS
Ported head
Stage 2 cams
82lb springs titanium retainers
Full 3" exhaust no cat
E85
Coming soon..
Block is mr.b sleeves/Tjolly girdle
Pistons diamond 10.5:1
Zzp rods

So looks like were both right in the same ball park. Good luck! And I look forward to your build.
Wow sounds very similar. I hope to hear more from you

Last edited by 574; 11-20-2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-20-2013, 03:25 PM
South Central *********

stock cams are pretty decent for a turbo setup
Old 11-20-2013, 03:35 PM

Well I will agree with that. I thought he had ZZP cams already.

Nick, you have a ported head correct?
Old 11-20-2013, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by InfraRedline
Well I will agree with that. I thought he had ZZP cams already.

Nick, you have a ported head correct?
O yeah! No camz doe
Old 11-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
you need to decide what the car is intended for curves or straight line if its curves a surge tank is the best bet if its straight line you do not need a surge tank

for straight line racing a surge tank is a waste when you launch the car where dose the fuel go? to the back of the tank you need to pump the fuel at the back of the tank or keep plenty of fuel in it. most of us are going to run out of pump before we run out of sump(if enough is in the tank)so what you need to look at is how to get enough volume of fuel to keep it fed

1 buy more then enough pump to do the job an o44 is not going to cut it look for bigger
2 consider increasing the line size to the rail to carry the volume needed and also you will need to increase the return line size. you don't want fuel backed up in the return side keeping the regulator from doing its job
3 get a set of injectors bigger then needed to do the job don't go nuts but a little bigger it is better then not enough
4 a return sytem with rising rate reg or a brfs
5 if you start having delivery problems due to the sump then its time to be happy as **** to where your at or put a cell in the car. if the fuel is setting at the back of the tank then you have nothing to refill the surge tank once the sump runs out

now why spin the stock cams to 8k they are good cams but they fall off at 7200 or sooner so why beat a horse that cant move anymore

there are 2 purposes for building a hot rod engine
1 to make it stronger
2 to make the power easier

so why set a goal that you got a chance your not going reach while beating on your car on stock parts and if you do look at how much harder it is on the engine and how much life you cut out on it by not making it easier to make the power. to make the engine reliable at high hp you need to make it easier to make the power

Last edited by mrbelvedere; 11-20-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
you need to decide what the car is intended for curves or straight line if its curves a surge tank is the best bet if its straight line you do not need a surge tank

for straight line racing a surge tank is a waste when you launch the car where dose the fuel go? to the back of the tank you need a sump system at the back of the tank or keep plenty of fuel in it. most of us are going to run out of pump before we run out of sump(if enough is in the tank)so what you need to look at is how to get enough volume of fuel to keep it fed

1 buy more then enough pump to do the job an o44 is not going to cut it look for bigger
2 consider increasing the line size to the rail to carry the volume needed and also you will need to increase the return line size. you don't want fuel backed up in the return side keeping the regulator from doing its job
3 get a set of injectors bigger then needed to do the job don't go nuts but a little bigger it is better then not enough
4 if you start having delivery problems due to the sump then its time to be happy as **** to where your at or put a cell in the car. if the fuel is setting at the back of the tank then you have nothing to refill the surge tank once the sump runs out

now why spin the stock cams to 8k they are good cams but they fall off at 7200 or sooner so why beat a horse that cant move anymore

1 to make it stronger

so why set a goal that you got a good chance your not going reach while beating on your car on stock parts and if you do look at how much harder it is on the engine and how much life you cut out on it by not making it easier to make the power
Heard that
Old 11-20-2013, 04:28 PM

for straight line racing a surge tank is a waste when you launch the car where dose the fuel go? to the back of the tank you need to pump the fuel at the back of the tank or keep plenty of fuel in it. most of us are going to run out of pump before we run out of sump(if enough is in the tank)so what you need to look at is how to get enough volume of fuel to keep it fed

4 if you start having delivery problems due to the sump then its time to be happy as **** to where your at or put a cell in the car. if the fuel is setting at the back of the tank then you have nothing to refill the surge tank once the sump runs out

1 to make it stronger

so why set a goal that you got a chance your not going reach while beating on your car on stock parts and if you do look at how much harder it is on the engine and how much life you cut out on it by not making it easier to make the power. to make the engine reliable at high hp you need to make it easier to make the power
Straight line so you vote no surge tank.
And from what I gather, you say get cams in order to make power easier?
Old 11-20-2013, 04:30 PM

1 to make it stronger

i like this guy
Old 11-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by 574
Correct. It will be easier to achieve your goal with aftermarket cams than stockers. A motor that doesn't have to work as hard is a happier motor.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SmitBag
i like this guy
Everybody likes that guy unless you dont know how to search or put a thread in the wrong section
Old 11-20-2013, 04:49 PM
South Central *********

Originally Posted by nhanson
Everybody likes that guy unless you dont know how to search or put a thread in the wrong section
lolz
Old 11-20-2013, 05:17 PM

Well I guess I'll be on the hunt come blackFriday.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:22 PM

Interesting reading. in for more later
Old 11-20-2013, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by 574
a surge tank is great for curvy racing and uses 2 pumps 1 to pump into the tank and one to pump out

you launch the car the fuel runs to the back of the tank if you don't have much fuel in the tank if you pump the sump dry you have nothing to refill the surge tank with and when you pump it dry you run out of fuel

Last edited by mrbelvedere; 11-20-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:39 PM

Nick your car sucks almost as much as you
Old 11-20-2013, 05:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What about inline pump and surge tank?

Put surge tank between inline and in tank pumps.

Quick Reply: The quest for 600whp