2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

The "rasp" is killing me.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The "rasp" is killing me.

My exhaust is in my signature. It is driving me absolutely insane. As soon as I hit 3k, it starts to make like a "rasp" "buzz" noise, it's seriously incredibly embarrassing. It NEVER did this when I first got it, and it has only been on the car for 3 months now, why does it do this now?

It is a magnaflow resonator and a magnaflow muffler. It is a well built setup, full v-band, if you're wondering where the flanges are.

Here is a picture. The resonator is WAY too small (I think, which is why it sounds like ass). But my question is - Where would the middle hanger (circled in red) go if I add a bigger resonator..? And what is a good resonator? It is cat-less.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Part of the rasp is being catless, but exhaust do take a bit of time to break in if that makes sense. Like after about a week the tone will change a little bit. But it does seem now 3 months later that it's rasping.... Sound clip maybe?
Old 06-10-2011, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed on catless being part of it. Big resonator and a second one if you can, or get a cat.

Joel
Old 06-10-2011, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Boosted05
Part of the rasp is being catless, but exhaust do take a bit of time to break in if that makes sense. Like after about a week the tone will change a little bit. But it does seem now 3 months later that it's rasping.... Sound clip maybe?
I can get one by Monday, it's going to be raining very shortly.

And yes, it should be broken in by now, definitely.

Originally Posted by CanadianCobalt
Agreed on catless being part of it. Big resonator and a second one if you can, or get a cat.

Joel
Yep, but I love my catless so much. I'd like to work around it if possible.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by xxxxsh4d0wxxxx
I can get one by Monday, it's going to be raining very shortly.

And yes, it should be broken in by now, definitely.

Yep, but I love my catless so much. I'd like to work around it if possible.
I'm just curious, what's so great about catless? Gains are minimal. You can work around it, get a corsa cat-back and it will sound great haha, but to build off what you have I'd get a huge resonator.

Joel
Old 06-10-2011, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by CanadianCobalt
I'm just curious, what's so great about catless? Gains are minimal. You can work around it, get a corsa cat-back and it will sound great haha, but to build off what you have I'd get a huge resonator.

Joel
I enjoy the smell, and the fact that I don't need to worry about race gas destroying them or having them get clogged. Having catless is just much more simple IMHO, and I have no emissions.

I was looking at a Corsa Touring cat-back, but I'd rather just keep this one. I like my full v-band setup. It's very nice.

These pictures are old BTW, taken last November, I just used it for reference.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:24 PM

mine does this to...drives me CRAZY! ive found driving the car different ways makes it better or worse. i do however have a header,cat, and exhaust and mine still does it.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by red06s/c
mine does this to...drives me CRAZY! ive found driving the car different ways makes it better or worse. i do however have a header,cat, and exhaust and mine still does it.
Right!! It's like something is buzzing inside of either the resonator/muffler. It's so irritating! I almost want to say the resonator is gone, which is sad considering it's only been on the car for 3 months..
Old 06-10-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
Either the baffles inside of the resonator or the muffler are shot. It sucks but exhausts only last a couple years before they become loud, especially on a performance car with high EGT's.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
Either the baffles inside of the resonator or the muffler are shot. It sucks but exhausts only last a couple years before they become loud, especially on a performance car with high EGT's.
Yeah, but 3 months..? Damn.

What's the biggest resonator we can squeeze in the straight section?
Old 06-10-2011, 09:01 PM

Right!! It's like something is buzzing inside of either the resonator/muffler. It's so irritating! I almost want to say the resonator is gone, which is sad considering it's only been on the car for 3 months..
my muffler dont have packing in it, so i think if i had the same muffler with packing i would be alot more happy.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
ZZP needs to release the resonator in the tease of a video they showed!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 PM

you wanna swap resonators? I have a fat ass 3" flowmaster or magnaflow one, can't remember which, but I'm catted. p.s. your car didn't sound like ass when I was in it.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 PM

Magnaflow mufflers are known for doing this. Not insulting them, but it's very common with them that within 3 to 6 months the sound quality degrades dramatically. Even the V8 setups.
Having no cat won't help. If your dead set on keeping it I'd swap the muffler.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by D_Rob
Magnaflow mufflers are known for doing this. Not insulting them, but it's very common with them that within 3 to 6 months the sound quality degrades dramatically. Even the V8 setups.
exactly. My buddy has a magnaflow and hates it. I personally would never touch anything magnaflow...ever.

No cat presents serious problems for us. You will need to fit like a 30inch IIRC, resonator. Preferably 4-5inches in diameter (it might hang a bit), and you will need to run a super turbo-type muffler.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:35 AM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Super turbo muffler won't help. Ive tried. My best run so far out of 3 mufflers in 1 week was a walker quiet flow
Old 06-11-2011, 02:46 AM

my magnaflow does the exact same thing ur describing except i've got all stock piping from header to tip just with a magnaflow muffler, sounds like a$$holes from like 3k-3.5k rpm
Old 06-11-2011, 02:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
tap your muffler with a hammer, i bet it is hollow (baffles burned up). I've been through a couple of them...they seem to wear out pretty quickly on cobalts.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:12 PM

Mine is shot, and I've had my exhaust for around that, also a magnaflow
Old 06-11-2011, 02:31 PM

Get this if you want it quieter!!! I have one and love it. I had all magnaflow and they even replaced both the muffler and resonator and it didnt change at all with new one on!!! I put the stainless works one on and bingo rasp and resonance almost totally gone I can her my supercharger whine again!!!!
3" ID CENTER INLET/ 3" OD OFFSET OUTLET 5"X9" They 2.5 and 2.25 inch also.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by 395 plus
Get this if you want it quieter!!! I have one and love it. I had all magnaflow and they even replaced both the muffler and resonator and it didnt change at all with new one on!!! I put the stainless works one on and bingo rasp and resonance almost totally gone I can her my supercharger whine again!!!!
3" ID CENTER INLET/ 3" OD OFFSET OUTLET 5"X9" They 2.5 and 2.25 inch also.

what resonator are you running? I think I am going all 2.5 on my catback. I was thinking of using their 2.5 tube muffler paired with that muffler, that tube deal supposedly can be turned around so it gives a deeper throatier tone. Sorry for the thread jack.

Hey shadow, How is the lth from zzp, I got the catless to a 2.5 bolt on deal. Did you have any leak at the Vband?
Old 06-12-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelightning
ZZP needs to release the resonator in the tease of a video they showed!
They aren't going to be producing any new exhaust, sadly.

Originally Posted by ecot3c inside
you wanna swap resonators? I have a fat ass 3" flowmaster or magnaflow one, can't remember which, but I'm catted. p.s. your car didn't sound like ass when I was in it.
Haha I just need a big 'ol resonator. And you think so? I think it sounds like garbage.

Originally Posted by D_Rob
Good information, I'll steer clear from now on!

Originally Posted by Erick161
exactly. My buddy has a magnaflow and hates it. I personally would never touch anything magnaflow...ever.

No cat presents serious problems for us. You will need to fit like a 30inch IIRC, resonator. Preferably 4-5inches in diameter (it might hang a bit), and you will need to run a super turbo-type muffler.
Yep, I'm staying catless for sure. It can be worked around with the right resonator/muffler, like you said, I was looking at a 30". The sag is no problem to me, my middle hanger is already 2" inches from the ground with this cat-back. Luckily I've not hit it yet!

Originally Posted by cuebalt
my magnaflow does the exact same thing ur describing except i've got all stock piping from header to tip just with a magnaflow muffler, sounds like a$$holes from like 3k-3.5k rpm
Amen brother! It blows!

Originally Posted by Hockeyman
tap your muffler with a hammer, i bet it is hollow (baffles burned up). I've been through a couple of them...they seem to wear out pretty quickly on cobalts.
I'll have to check that tomorrow! It sounds like it's from the muffler for sure. I've been paying more attention to it lately and it's definitely from the rear of the car.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1fastSSBalt
what resonator are you running? I think I am going all 2.5 on my catback. I was thinking of using their 2.5 tube muffler paired with that muffler, that tube deal supposedly can be turned around so it gives a deeper throatier tone. Sorry for the thread jack.

Hey shadow, How is the lth from zzp, I got the catless to a 2.5 bolt on deal. Did you have any leak at the Vband?
Its still the magnaflow 18" resonator and then the Stainless works muffler.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by 1fastSSBalt
It's great, I love it! I believe I have a small leak, but it's not a real big deal, just a tad annoying at times, I can only hear it when the car is cold.