2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Smg twincharged rebuild project

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 212 Likes on 171 Posts
^ was thinking the same lol
Old 11-11-2011, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
35mph in 5th? have a good time straining the hell out of your clutch and trans
I have a transmission case thats not made out of paper mache? I dont see the harm there, only issue could be from lugging the engine where you have a high engine load at low rpms (and low oil pressure).
Old 11-11-2011, 03:13 PM

ZZP has been proven correct once again. Car was on dyno today and Fred could not get anymore horsepower out of the car even by turning up the boost. Even turning the boost down did not make much effect in horsepower difference. The remote mount set-up is a fail. By-pass mod did not make any difference in horsepower change this time around either. He is still messing around with it and tuning in the meth. Not much more is expected to come out of it. Talk about a waste of nearly 11k! Should have went with ZZP!
Old 11-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Try not to pay any attention to numbers that STS puts out for their non-intercooled charge pipes. While a long aluminum tube may have a slight intercooling effect initially, it also heat soaks very quickly. If you are in boost for several seconds, how well is your charge tube cooling the charge now? At best, their charge tube would intercool as well as a tiny little front mount IC that has been mounted in a place where it does not get any airflow over it.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
FWIW, we have run remote setups in the past in the effort to collect data. While people are right to say that they are better than running NA, that is about the end of it. While turbocharging in the traditional sense does an excellent job of harnessing wasted energy to increase HP to levels otherwise un-heard of, driving the turbo in an inefficient manner quickly reduces the potential for power gains. When the turbo is mounted very close to the engine, you can utilize exhaust pressure to drive the turbine wheel without the exhaust back-pressure putting a serious limitation on the potential flow of the engine. Twincharging also allows you to run a larger exhaust wheel and housing which helps the engine make more top end horsepower. However, when you move the turbo to a point several feet away from the engine, you are in a position where the exhaust energy has been reduced dramatically. This brings the requirement of a smaller exhaust wheel and/or housing in order to achieve reasonable turbo response, which results in SIGNIFICANTLY reduced horsepower. The next problem I see with this build is the decision to not intercool after the turbo. The LSJ factory intercooler is barely worth calling an intercooler. While it may be better than nothing, it's not by much. GM could have built an intake manifold that flows an additional 50-75cfm per runner if the LSJ intake was not built around the laminova intercooler housing.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:41 PM

Meth is now tuned in. No new numbers yet but the IAT’s get to a max of 101 then drop down quick after each pull. Any new updates Ill be sure to post
Old 11-11-2011, 05:15 PM

Damn who fakes a heart attack?! wtf!
Old 11-11-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
Damn who fakes a heart attack?! wtf!
well he himself didn’t fake the heart attack. He lied telling me the machine shop guy had a heart attack to make up a reason of why my block wasn’t finished. Still just as bad though if not worse!
Old 11-11-2011, 05:26 PM

Do you know who he used to do the engine sleeve? I know a place up in NH that does a really good job with that sort of thing was just wondering if it was the same place.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:28 PM

he uses ABT Machine out of Holliston, MA.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KangolRiot
ZZP has been proven correct once again. Car was on dyno today and Fred could not get anymore horsepower out of the car even by turning up the boost. Even turning the boost down did not make much effect in horsepower difference. The remote mount set-up is a fail. By-pass mod did not make any difference in horsepower change this time around either. He is still messing around with it and tuning in the meth. Not much more is expected to come out of it. Talk about a waste of nearly 11k! Should have went with ZZP!
Install an air to air intercooler for the turbo and try again.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by ebristol
Install an air to air intercooler for the turbo and try again.
I don’t see how that would make any difference with the set-up I have considering my IAT’s are so low. I think I can’t get anymore horsepower due to my exhaust being so restrictive. It was initially made small enough to be able to create enough velocity to spool up the turbo. This worked great getting me to the mid 300’s. Now I was at 25psi and made around 375hp. Increasing the boost up a couple pounds gave me no increase in horsepower. Also, decreasing the boost a couple pounds kept my horsepower at the same number. This pretty much seems to be telling me that the engine is making as much power as it can due to the exhaust being restrictive.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don’t see how that would make any difference with the set-up I have considering my IAT’s are so low.
How low is low?

Increasing the boost up a couple pounds gave me no increase in horsepower. Also, decreasing the boost a couple pounds kept my horsepower at the same number.
Increasing your boost a couple of pounds from 16 to 18 is a lot different then increasing boost a couple of pounds from 23 to 25.

From 23 to 25 you might be pushing past the turbo's efficiency range so the increase in charged air temps is negating your increase in boost.

Just like pulleying down on the M62. Eventually you will get out of the efficiency range and do more harm then good.

Don't be afraid to run one of those big boy meth nozzles either. Like the 19gph one 100% meth uses on his car.

I know your super frustrated with the whole situation but I would not give up so soon.

GL!
Old 11-11-2011, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the advice man. Yeah it sure is frustrating haha. My IAT’s are averaging in the 90’s getting to a max of 101 which then quickly drops. I mean I could see needing an air to air intercooler if my turbo were to be up front. However combined with the length of the pipe from the back to front giving it a chance to cool along with the Ottp front mount + factory heat exchangers, dual pass w/ option b, phenolic and meth injection seems to be giving me pretty low IAT’s. I could imagine them even being lower when the car is actually on pavement considering the wind blowing against the car and piping may help a bit as well.
Im probably not giving up quite yet seeing how much money I poured into this car already haha. I contacted STS to see about exhaust sizing. If I can’t find a solution Im probably going to just live with it for a while and maybe try to move the turbo up front and go air-air when I have money again.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:39 PM
I'm too JDM for you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have all the supporting mods, save up money and get a zzp turbo kit and make some big power. You can make quite a bit of money on the stuff you have
Old 11-11-2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
You have all the supporting mods, save up money and get a zzp turbo kit and make some big power. You can make quite a bit of money on the stuff you have
Honestly Im probably going to end up just selling this car. I think I’m done putting anymore money into it haha.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
I am happy for Kangol Riot that he got his car running. Sad that the remote route was taken. Impressed that Matt M from ZZP is so polite with his input.

Not something I would ever want to do to any car. All the best Kangol, you have put up with a lot to blaze a trail to somewhere...
Old 11-11-2011, 06:50 PM

EFR what?

Old 11-11-2011, 06:50 PM

another minor update.. just talked to Fred. Car is putting down 383 with the meth tuned in now. He is finishing up the car tomorrow and tweaking the tune a bit more. Not much more power probably going to come out of it. I’ll definitely post all the details and dyno graph tomorrow though.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
383whp is not bad.

pretty good for your set-up.

Are you expecting more whp? if so, around what range?

anyways, hang in there!!! As long as the engine and your set-up are no longer malfunctioning.............that's a positive!
Old 11-11-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by SKY888
383whp is not bad.

pretty good for your set-up.

Are you expecting more whp? if so, around what range?

anyways, hang in there!!! As long as the engine and your set-up are no longer malfunctioning.............that's a positive!
We were planning on getting the car tuned for around 450. Expecting no problem getting into the 500’s. Another member running ZZP’s twin charge setup with the same turbo I have made 509. I think my exhaust is holding a lot of the power back. Yeah though, definitely nice that my car is running properly and should be ready to pick up tomorrow afternoon! After not having the car for over a year just driving it again is a huge plus haha. I at least have 20 extra hp than before hah.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
oh i see!

big difference. I personally would go for 500whp...if others with a similar set-up achieved that number.

Once you get your car, and its running safely......then you can choose the tuner that made that 500whp!

I've been waiting for more than a year as well....................and I'm just hoping to drive it this coming Spring 2012.

what's the size of your exhaust? 2.25"?

good luck bro!
Old 11-11-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by SKY888
oh i see!

big difference. I personally would go for 500whp...if others with a similar set-up achieved that number.

Once you get your car, and its running safely......then you can choose the tuner that made that 500whp!

I've been waiting for more than a year as well....................and I'm just hoping to drive it this coming Spring 2012.

what's the size of your exhaust? 2.25"?

good luck bro!
Yea, I would have loved to push it to 500 but we realized we were having problems getting power out of it. The only reason I was going to get tuned just for 450 is because I didn’t want to blow the tranny. The other guy who had the zzp twincharged putting down 509 (tuned by ZZP) had the turbo mounted up front which is where the big difference is. With the exhaust i have now and the turbo being in the back Im not going to get much more out of it. We may try to figure out if there is something we can do with the exhaust to relieve the restriction while not creating much lag at the same time. Im not positive on the exhaust size but its custom from SMG. I know its pretty damn small but Ill try and find out the exact size tomorrow and let you know
Old 11-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Banned

Still some nice power you have there and an sweet unique set-up.
But $11,000 is alot and still didn't hit 400hp
Like Josh said you can sell your stuff and get an zzp turbo kit and hit your goal.
I would love to have an set-up like you so I would deff still be happy
Old 11-12-2011, 09:00 AM

Making some progress.. still tweaking the tune but just a quick update showing that we are getting closer to the 400’s

Quick Reply: Smg twincharged rebuild project