2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

TVS vs M62 - blower speed IATs

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TVS vs M62 - blower speed IATs

I couldn't find any evidence of this, but if you run say a 3.1" pulley on both the M62 and TVS, all else being equal, the TVS will produce i higher boost pressure right? Will the IAT2s be about the same, higher or lower? I realize at the same boost pressure the TVS may run cooler, but that's because at the boost typically run on the TVS, the M62 is already screaming for help.

Basically same blower speed on both blowers, which is cooler?
Old 06-07-2011, 02:10 PM

from my knowledge you will see less boost in the TVS with your say 3.1 pulley on either because the TVS has a bigger volume inside the chamber thuse there being more room for the air to move causing less pressure, "boost"
Old 06-07-2011, 02:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BNS06Mike
from my knowledge you will see less boost in the TVS with your say 3.1 pulley on either because the TVS has a bigger volume inside the chamber thuse there being more room for the air to move causing less pressure, "boost"
I'm not sure but I kind of agree with this. The TVS is an all around more efficient design and creates less heat when making boost at any speed, volume, or PSI than the M62.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by oldskool
I couldn't find any evidence of this, but if you run say a 3.1" pulley on both the M62 and TVS, all else being equal, the TVS will produce i higher boost pressure right? Will the IAT2s be about the same, higher or lower? I realize at the same boost pressure the TVS may run cooler, but that's because at the boost typically run on the TVS, the M62 is already screaming for help.

Basically same blower speed on both blowers, which is cooler?
The TVS will produce higher boost pressure with a 3.1" pulley than an M62 with a 3.1" pulley, all things being equal. The TVS displaces 1.32 liters of air vs. the M62's 1.00 liters. The LSJ's small exhaust ports in the head will cause the boost pressure to rise when you introduce more air. You are throwing more air into the same package essentially. This is why if both setups were the same other than the blower the TVS will always produce more boost than the M62.

Now when you open up the exhaust, and such, boost levels will drop, but the TVS will still produce higher boost levels. The higher level of efficiency will def provide lower IAT2's.

As for efficiency the TVS prevails.... The 4-lobe 160 degree rotor design is much more efficient than the M62's 3-lobe 60 degree rotors.

My H62 blower has higher twist rotors than the M62, and I've noticed from my testing that it recovers much quicker from pulls than my M62 did. It also maintains lower IAT2's at WOT.

Last edited by Staged07SS; 06-07-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS
The TVS will produce higher boost pressure with a 3.1" pulley than an M62 with a 3.1" pulley, all things being equal. The TVS displaces 1.32 liters of air vs. the M62's 1.00 liters. The LSJ's small exhaust ports in the head will cause the boost pressure to rise when you introuduce more air. This is why if both setups were the same other than the blower the TVS will always produce more boost than the M62.

Now when you open up the exhaust, and such, boost levels will drop, but the TVS will still produce higher boost levels.

As for efficiency the TVS prevails.... The 4-lobe 160 degree rotor design is much more efficient than the M62's 3-lobe 60 degree rotors.
everytime you reply it's GR8 info, but makes me head hurt sometimes from trying to store all this info
Old 06-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by nizzle
everytime you reply it's GR8 info, but makes me head hurt sometimes from trying to store all this info
Haha, thanks man!

Sorry for overloading the brain. I like to cover as much as possible when I post.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:37 PM

Haha, thanks man!

Sorry for overloading the brain. I like to cover as much as possible when I post.
Dont be sorry, keep up the good work
Old 06-07-2011, 04:20 PM

Staged deff. knows his stuff. His post are always full of good info.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:08 PM

The TVS will produce higher boost pressure with a 3.1" pulley than an M62 with a 3.1" pulley, all things being equal. The TVS displaces 1.32 liters of air vs. the M62's 1.00 liters. The LSJ's small exhaust ports in the head will cause the boost pressure to rise when you introduce more air. You are throwing more air into the same package essentially. This is why if both setups were the same other than the blower the TVS will always produce more boost than the M62.

Now when you open up the exhaust, and such, boost levels will drop, but the TVS will still produce higher boost levels. The higher level of efficiency will def provide lower IAT2's.

My H62 blower has higher twist rotors than the M62, and I've noticed from my testing that it recovers much quicker from pulls than my M62 did. It also maintains lower IAT2's at WOT.
Ok just for the sake of comparison, let's take two cars, one with the m62, one with the TVS. Let's say a 3.1" pulley on both cars, full exhaust of your choice, same on both cars - same heat exchanger equipment, same water/meth kit/composition, ect, ect. I realize the TVS will produce i higher boost pressure and understand why, but in the real world, which one of the above scenarios produces lower iat2s?
Old 06-07-2011, 05:12 PM

Ok just for the sake of comparison, let's take two cars, one with the m62, one with the TVS. Let's say a 3.1" pulley on both cars, full exhaust of your choice, same on both cars - same heat exchanger equipment, same water/meth kit/composition, ect, ect. I realize the TVS will produce i higher boost pressure and understand why, but in the real world, which one of the above scenarios produces lower iat2s?
TVS wins in EVERY catagory. TVS is your answer. Even if your car is at idle with no boost or WOT at full boost, TVS is cooler
Old 06-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

TVS wins in EVERY catagory. TVS is your answer. Even if your car is at idle with no boost or WOT at full boost, TVS is cooler
This.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:37 PM

Question:

If you have a gas pressure of 14PSI,
and you compress this gas to a pressure of say 28PSI
The tempature of this gas would aslo increase, in accordance
with the gas laws.... when looking at the gas laws no where
does it take any account for the type of pump used to compress
said gasses.

Maybe I'm missing something though
Old 06-07-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by insylem
Question:

said gasses.

I think this is where efficiency comes in. The gas temp might stay the same according to the gas laws, but the laws are very simple.

It doesn't take into account the amount of work being done on the gas, added energy from the friction of the air and such. Spinning the paddles makes heat too.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:23 PM

i was thinking about the pressure at the same blower speed as well. it's always gonna be higher on the tvs for the sole fact that it moves more air per revolution. But it seems ppl are saying even at the higher pressure it's that much more effecient and still makes less heat per rev. i'd love to see data on this...
Old 06-07-2011, 08:29 PM

Not to mention the temp of the air combining with the gas. Also, we're trying to avoid PRE-detonation. Not trying to avoid or adjust the temp of the actual detonation. if we follow your theory, there would be no need for an intercooler at all.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:18 AM

nizzle, to which post are you referring? I'm not sure what you are talking about since above you said the TVS wins everytime?

Does anyone have some comparative IAT data for both blowers on the same or similar set ups?
Old 06-08-2011, 12:26 PM

Not to mention the temp of the air combining with the gas. Also, we're trying to avoid PRE-detonation. Not trying to avoid or adjust the temp of the actual detonation. if we follow your theory, there would be no need for an intercooler at all.
nizzle, to which post are you referring? I'm not sure what you are talking about since above you said the TVS wins everytime?

Does anyone have some comparative IAT data for both blowers on the same or similar set ups?
Originally Posted by insylem
Question:

said gasses.

the post in bold was the one I was referring to. And why do you keep asking the same damn question in different ways. The TVS IS BETTER!!!!! THAT IS ALL NOW QUIT ASKING ******* QUESTIONS TO WHICH YOU ALREADY HAVE THE ANSWER. TVS IS BETTER!! TVS IS COOLER!! TVS IS MORE EFFICIENT!! TVS PUTS OUT MORE PSI!! TVS PUSHES MORE VOLUME!! WTF ELSE DO YOU NEED TO KNOW!?!?
Old 06-08-2011, 04:40 PM

the post in bold was the one I was referring to. And why do you keep asking the same damn question in different ways. The TVS IS BETTER!!!!! THAT IS ALL NOW QUIT ASKING ******* QUESTIONS TO WHICH YOU ALREADY HAVE THE ANSWER. TVS IS BETTER!! TVS IS COOLER!! TVS IS MORE EFFICIENT!! TVS PUTS OUT MORE PSI!! TVS PUSHES MORE VOLUME!! WTF ELSE DO YOU NEED TO KNOW!?!?
dude change your fkn tampon and get over it; you seem to be raggin quite hard at the moment. FYI, i reviewed EVERY TVS log i could find on hptuners forum and the damn thing runs just as hot if not hotter than the m62 pulley for pulley. so your fkn wrong dude unless you can provide evidence otherwise. I've learned not to take screwoffs like you at your word. Staged07SS sounds like a smart dude, you on the otherhand seem to just like the sound of your own voice.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:48 PM

dude change your fkn tampon and get over it; you seem to be raggin quite hard at the moment. FYI, i reviewed EVERY TVS log i could find on hptuners forum and the damn thing runs just as hot if not hotter than the m62 pulley for pulley. so your fkn wrong dude unless you can provide evidence otherwise. I've learned not to take screwoffs like you at your word. Staged07SS sounds like a smart dude, you on the otherhand seem to just like the sound of your own voice.
well then dont get the tvs then idc. And I do like the sound of my own voice. The reason I am raggin as you put it is because your question has been answered. I just put it in plain words. if you want exact technical specs then staged would be a great source, however your question is redundant. My bad for getting bent outta shape, it's not my position to tell you your question was valid at first but has now become pointless. You'll figure that out on your own eventually I guess. glws

Last edited by nizzle; 06-08-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:57 PM

well then dont get the tvs then idc. And I do like the sound of my own voice. The reason I am raggin as you put it is because your question has been answered. I just put it in plain words. if you want exact technical specs then staged would be a great source, however your question is redundant.
If you had read instead of just flipping out caps lock style, you'd see i was looking for actual data/evidence. I've seen logs of iat2 on various tvs pulleys and various h/e set ups in the 130-160*F range. tech specs would be perfect. You saying, "cuz i said so" is no convincing arguement. Thanks anyways.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:19 PM

I don't know if there is a comparison out there of a 3.1" pulley m62 and a 3.1 pulley tvs IAT wise.. BUT.. thats not the comparison you need to be making anyway.

You need to be saying, how do the IAT2s compare at X psi on each..Use 20psi as an example, a tvs will do that on the 3.1".. the m62 will need a 2.6ish to do that... i PROMISE you that when you compare it that way, the tvs is far superior(cooler).
Old 06-08-2011, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by 383_Stroker
I don't know if there is a comparison out there of a 3.1" pulley m62 and a 3.1 pulley tvs IAT wise.. BUT.. thats not the comparison you need to be making anyway.

You need to be saying, how do the IAT2s compare at X psi on each..Use 20psi as an example, a tvs will do that on the 3.1".. the m62 will need a 2.6ish to do that... i PROMISE you that when you compare it that way, the tvs is far superior(cooler).

See the delta temp graph - that is the info i'm looking for on the TVS. it shows how the temp increases relative to blower revs, and plots it for two pressures. This is the best way to compare across the two blowers. I cannot find any information like this for the TVS, hence why i ask for a "real world" comparison.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:37 PM
G11

i had a 2.9 on my m62 and i was about 16 lbs of boost w/ iat2 of 142 after a long hard pull (2-4) i am now on a tvs w/ a 2.9 and am at 18 lbs of boost w/ iats 133. only difference from the two is that i have added a port and polished head, valve springs, e85, griffin h/e, lth, and 3" exhaust so it isn't exactly wat your lookin for...if i had the same set up for both i would have lots more boost and probably about the same heat...
Old 06-09-2011, 02:13 AM

I guess this may be the kind of info you are looking for:

When I was stock blower on 2.7", I made roughly 20psi with my setup. IAT2's would hit 145-155 after one hard pull (then drop down quickly of course). Then, I put the TVS on with stock 80mm pulley (about 3.1") and made the same 20psi of boost, but my IAT2's only hit about 130-140 after the same kind of pull.

Take what you want from it, the only change at the time was the blower (and tune to accompany it), but im not gonna jump in on the arguments.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:43 AM

Thank you gentlemen! that is the kind of data i'm looking for.

Quick Reply: TVS vs M62 - blower speed IATs