2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

victory_red_SS goes RWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 02:09 AM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
turbocharged v8's can be made very dosile at those power levels. i helped screw together a banks twin turbo smallblock a few years back. non intercooled on pump gas it puts out 750hp, intercooled itll do 900, on race gas its 1100hp and intercooled race gas its 1400hp. its in a 57 chevy street rod (full art morison chassis) with a 4l80e behind it, you can drive across the country set up for 1100hp.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
I understand, I really do. I am very serious when I ask you and others to forgive me for this huge change. I fought for so long to use the LSJ and I did everything I could. I trusted, I paid and I lost. As you mentioned, this has been an ordeal for me and for my wife. I am trying to finally finish this up so that my wife and I can move forward and finally put the ordeal behind us.

I will get a PM to you later tomorrow or on Friday. Thanks for the offer.
Understandable, and I do man, your car will be so much more then most of those still, cause yours will still have he body of one (although tubed and such) and it started as one!
Old 04-23-2009, 03:29 AM

I was watching f&f the part were they say what do they expect to win with hopes and dreams lollwell this is kinda like that buts actually happening lol
Old 04-23-2009, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 213 Likes on 172 Posts
lol i read it fast and thought it said Kurt Cobain was going to build your motor. its too early in the am....
Old 04-23-2009, 07:40 AM

Turbo'd LS?

yummy.

I think that once you fire it up you won't second guess the decision to ditch the lsj.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
I agree, not as a 4-cyl anyway. 1000 hp lsx can definitely be streetable, though. Looking forward to see how this all turns out.

http://www.gonicd.com/camaroindex.html
Dude, we are in Canada. Regardless of what is moving the car.. The Chassis is... Well MISSING.

It will pass 9 seconds, but not the DMV inspection..
Old 04-23-2009, 08:59 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharkey
i am also dissapointed to see the lsj isnt going in, but realisticly a 700hp 4 cyl isnt streetable, nor will it last a long time on the street, let alone 1000hp. i think the LS motor is a much better choice for the car and the goals. it will also be a lot less matinance and easier to drive.
That less maintanence means less overall cost which is a huge factor.

Originally Posted by _UnLiMiTeD_
Great to hear this project wont be killed off, some changes just have to be made to finally get the dream alive. I cant wait to see this thing running, best of luck to you!

You still trying to work out a settlement with the other shop? I deffinately wouldnt let them get away with what they did, thats a lot of money being thrown away for something you didnt even screw up.
The chassis shop, Distinct Images, and I worked everything out and I will have his company logo on the car when it is done. I only have one lawsuit to deal with.

Originally Posted by NWAE Cobalt
Understandable, and I do man, your car will be so much more then most of those still, cause yours will still have he body of one (although tubed and such) and it started as one!
This solution will allow us to enjoy the car way sooner and for longer.
At the same time it also corrects many issues and will allow a distinction between what never was and what will be.
Originally Posted by tony2toness/sc
I was watching f&f the part were they say what do they expect to win with hopes and dreams lollwell this is kinda like that buts actually happening lol
I thank Powell Motor Sport for renewing the dream.

Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC
lol i read it fast and thought it said Kurt Cobain was going to build your motor. its too early in the am....
I am pretty sure that Cobain is in business anymore, are you awake yet
Originally Posted by XM15
Turbo'd LS?

yummy.

I think that once you fire it up you won't second guess the decision to ditch the lsj.
I have no doubt that you are going to be right.

Originally Posted by Brian MP5T
I don't think this was ever going to be streetable...
If I recall correctly Brian, you have never really been a fan of the project , but I will agree that the high power LSJ, that I had been promised, was unrealistic. I may be slow but I do learn.

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
I agree, not as a 4-cyl anyway. 1000 hp lsx can definitely be streetable, though. Looking forward to see how this all turns out.

http://www.gonicd.com/camaroindex.html
We start the planning next week. Updates will come as they are available.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:20 AM

Dude, you are misinformed.

I thought it was crazy, but I didn't understand why you would completely destroy a new car, just for a body. (That would be cut to ****)

You could have probably gone to the wreckers and got all the same panels and likely a chassis too.

You only needed the front, why not get a rear end collision car?
Old 04-23-2009, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Brian MP5T
It will pass 9 seconds, but not the DMV inspection..
Ok, so mechanically streetable, if not technically legal.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:31 PM

Lame. Another V8 "Cobalt."

When you look back when this is all done, you'll find that not using an Ecotec motor in this car will be the biggest let done to yourself and the community as a whole. You might as well sell the car as a whole right now and buy a Camaro and come in with a cheaper budget. It's not like your car will be unique anymore. Just another V8 drag "Cobalt." What made this project stand apart from any other RWD Cobalt was the fact that it retained the Ecotec motor and could still drive down the street. Well you may say that the other V8 "Cobalt's" can't be driven on the street, it's not true. Most of them with a nice exhaust and a few other small mods could be drivin on the street and pass all inspections in 70% of the states. Well the V8 may cheaper route, it is not the best for this project. To me it sounds like you were talked into the LS2 by the place that is doing the rest of the job based on the soul fact that they probably know more about the LS2 so would rather work with something they know.

I also can't figure out why people say a high HP 4 cylinder is less daily drivable then a high HP 8 cylinder? For daily driving, you want a setup that stays out of boost to increase longevity of the motor. If the motor stays in vacuum or builds practically no boost, it will allow the engine to run a lot longer. With a proper setup and tuning a 1000 HP 4 cylinder would last just as long as the LS2. Again, the key is in a proper setup with the right parts.

Congratultions on going from a unique project to just another V8 "Cobalt."

I will wish you good luck with your project and hope that everything works out much better in this new phase then the last phase. I know there is a lot of frustration with everythings that's going on, but I'm sure you'll end up with a car that will be a fun driver in the end.

PS: I know people will be on my ass saying I'm an ass and that I should be banned, etc. etc. I'm stating my honest opinions for Rod to read. If he wishes me to remove my comments because they are rude or inconsiderate, then I'll be more then happy to do so.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:01 PM

^^ No Banning needed. That was actually well written.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by slowswap
Lame. Another V8 "Cobalt."

When you look back when this is all done, you'll find that not using an Ecotec motor in this car will be the biggest let done to yourself and the community as a whole. You might as well sell the car as a whole right now and buy a Camaro and come in with a cheaper budget. It's not like your car will be unique anymore. Just another V8 drag "Cobalt." What made this project stand apart from any other RWD Cobalt was the fact that it retained the Ecotec motor and could still drive down the street. Well you may say that the other V8 "Cobalt's" can't be driven on the street, it's not true. Most of them with a nice exhaust and a few other small mods could be drivin on the street and pass all inspections in 70% of the states. Well the V8 may cheaper route, it is not the best for this project. To me it sounds like you were talked into the LS2 by the place that is doing the rest of the job based on the soul fact that they probably know more about the LS2 so would rather work with something they know.

I also can't figure out why people say a high HP 4 cylinder is less daily drivable then a high HP 8 cylinder? For daily driving, you want a setup that stays out of boost to increase longevity of the motor. If the motor stays in vacuum or builds practically no boost, it will allow the engine to run a lot longer. With a proper setup and tuning a 1000 HP 4 cylinder would last just as long as the LS2. Again, the key is in a proper setup with the right parts.

Congratultions on going from a unique project to just another V8 "Cobalt."

I will wish you good luck with your project and hope that everything works out much better in this new phase then the last phase. I know there is a lot of frustration with everythings that's going on, but I'm sure you'll end up with a car that will be a fun driver in the end.

PS: I know people will be on my ass saying I'm an ass and that I should be banned, etc. etc. I'm stating my honest opinions for Rod to read. If he wishes me to remove my comments because they are rude or inconsiderate, then I'll be more then happy to do so.

Well sorry he doesnt have money coming out of his ass to fund this project, do you? The man had full intentions of doing an LSJ build but it was ended when some people screwed him over. And he can not AFFORD to continue this project if it stays the LSJ route because of all the money he has lost. Its either go LS2 or kill the project entirely, the guy is already at his limits financially just to keep this project alive, god forbid he doesnt want to go bankrupt to keep a few of you happy.

So yes you are an ass, it sounds like all you did was quickly read page 1 and seen he was doing a LSJ build then read the last page where it said hes going LS2. Had you followed through and seen all the **** he has gone through with his project, not only would you not have wrote that, you would be congradulating him for still following with it.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:58 PM

Well sorry he doesnt have money coming out of his ass to fund this project, do you? The man had full intentions of doing an LSJ build but it was ended when some people screwed him over. And he can not AFFORD to continue this project if it stays the LSJ route because of all the money he has lost. Its either go LS2 or kill the project entirely, the guy is already at his limits financially just to keep this project alive, god forbid he doesnt want to go bankrupt to keep a few of you happy.

So yes you are an ass, it sounds like all you did was quickly read page 1 and seen he was doing a LSJ build then read the last page where it said hes going LS2. Had you followed through and seen all the **** he has gone through with his project, not only would you not have wrote that, you would be congradulating him for still following with it.
I have followed this project. Don't assume. To build a realiable single turbo LS2 will cost just as much as to build a realiable single turbo LSJ. Hell, he has half of the LSJ parts already. He was clearly swayed to the LS2 because that's what the shop he is taking to has experience with.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
how many 1k+ 4 bangers do you see on the streets?
Old 04-23-2009, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Area47
how many 1k+ 4 bangers do you see on the streets?
The highest around here is 600+ WHP Civic's. They beat the 1000+ WHP Camaro's. Can't say I've seen one on the street, but that does not mean it has not been done. I'm sure theres quite a few across the country.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:27 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I have followed this project. Don't assume. To build a realiable single turbo LS2 will cost just as much as to build a realiable single turbo LSJ. Hell, he has half of the LSJ parts already. He was clearly swayed to the LS2 because that's what the shop he is taking to has experience with.
not quite, looking at least $30-$40g's to build that motor (trust that number came from the guy that developed the race motors). It will not last long (regardless of how it's driven, that's the nature of the 4 banger beast). Ad trust the fact that he went over every aspect to try and keep it an LSJ, and was still trying to keep it an LSJ even as of this weekend. But what was spent already, and the fact that the motor that was "built" (lsj) is garbage and needs to be completely redone, kind of killed that idea.

The highest around here is 600+ WHP Civic's. They beat the 1000+ WHP Camaro's. Can't say I've seen one on the street, but that does not mean it has not been done. I'm sure theres quite a few across the country.
I know of a few 1000hp "street" cars around here (4 bangers) but these motors are torn down and redone every few weeks or so. Not the best of ideas to try and keep a car reliable and when the shop that is building it is no where near you.

Last edited by 06blackg85ss; 04-23-2009 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
the stresses on a small cube motor {sub 200 cid} are insane. hell the honda's and evo's in the shop right now are 800+whp. they do not get driven very much. they go on the trailer. they go to the track. then come back to the shop and looked over for mechanical issues.

plus rods car is no where near light, and the lack of torque a ***** out lsj vs a turbo ls2 would do for his chassis is a night and day difference. the ls2 in this situation is a better choice in terms of street use.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:41 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Area47
the stresses on a small cube motor {sub 200 cid} are insane. hell the honda's and evo's in the shop right now are 800+whp. they do not get driven very much. they go on the trailer. they go to the track. then come back to the shop and looked over for mechanical issues.

plus rods car is no where near light, and the lack of torque a ***** out lsj vs a turbo ls2 would do for his chassis is a night and day difference. the ls2 in this situation is a better choice in terms of street use.
That is a very good point.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by HackAbuse
Good luck Rod! I'm happy to see that you have switched over to the dark side
: Me too. Congratulations!
Old 04-23-2009, 06:50 PM

congrats on the great news!

keith
Old 04-23-2009, 07:01 PM

I as hoping you havent for the sake of you not looking like so much of an ass. Hoping you just didnt understand all the **** he went through when you said it. But the fact that you do know what he has gone through mentally and financially and still had the nerve to say it just makes you look like a bigger ass.

Thanks for clearing that up though
Old 04-23-2009, 08:34 PM

4 6 8 12 cylinder I am just glad to see that it will be getting finished sometime soon
Old 04-23-2009, 08:41 PM

I as hoping you havent for the sake of you not looking like so much of an ass. Hoping you just didnt understand all the **** he went through when you said it. But the fact that you do know what he has gone through mentally and financially and still had the nerve to say it just makes you look like a bigger ass.

Thanks for clearing that up though
I forewarned people in my PS that they wouldn't like my comments. I understand.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:48 PM

thats because those comments are just uncalled for, basically kicking a man while hes down.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:35 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
I thank all of you you understand why I have made the decision to go LS2. When I first started giving it serious consideration, I got opinions from those people whose experience/knowledge that I trust. This is no small deal to me. I also thank you for the overwhelming support of this project.

I apologized, with sincerity, to those people who would be disappointed in the change of engines.

The cost, to start from scratch, on already paid for custom items plus the re-working of the LSJ equals way more than the LS2. A properly built 1,000hp+ Ecotec is around $30K-$40K. It has already been stated that is not really streetable considering how hard it will be driven on race days.

The company who is slated to build the LS2 (www.kurturban.com) has actually put a high hp Ecotec into a street car. The result was that reliability did not last beyond 770hp.

Slowswap, I know you have not been here as long as some but this project has never been easy. If you would like to donate $30,000. to have the LSJ built then I will reconsider my decision. That way I can tell the wife that I won't have to spend all of her retirement $$$ to make you happy.

While a few are disappointed and 1 or 2 are upset, most people at least understand that I have tried to make this work more than anyone else. Had I did a better job of chosing the lead shop, I wouldn't be in the position I am with the project cost plus the legal cost I am now paying.

For those of you who are actually happy about the LS2, thank you. Heck even a few of you are xstatic and that is cool. I do need to ask iroc_mitch though, I don't need to put on a scoop like that do I???

Quick Reply: victory_red_SS goes RWD