2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

victory_red_SS goes RWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A properly build LSX that will handle a 1000 HP will cost $20-30k. A local guy has done it. His car is reliable but has come at a hefty price. He blew it up once at 700ish WHP, and has since when back and built a bullet proof motor. I hope you realize that you'll need an LSX block to make the power you're talking about.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:36 PM

I hope you realize who is building the motor and the car.

It's rod's choice, quit bitching cause it won't have an LSJ.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:58 PM

I laugh at all of you people who are taking my words out of context.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:02 PM

nobody is taking it out of context. You came in knowing what you were going to say was going to **** people off so instead keep your ******* comments to yourself. He has a very legitimate reason as to why he cant do the build and your still on him about it.

Do you have an extra $30,000 laying around to do a motor build right now?
Old 04-23-2009, 11:08 PM

if the car was a 4 cylinder 1000 hp car the alcohol to run the car would be very expensive especially street driven. whether a v-8 cobalt has been done already who cares they did not go through his ordeal if you can't be supportive or have nothing nice or good to stay you should step out of this thread.

THIS CAR WILL BE A BEAST
Old 04-23-2009, 11:10 PM

Next time I'll use quote tags so your small brain can figure out who some these post are directed towards. Only two post were directed towards Rod. I'm not telling Rod what motor to put in his car. His car his choice. I'm pointing out the facts that in the end, both motors will cost near the same price to build. An LSX turbo'd motor cost a lot to build to be able to withstand the 1000 HP limit that Rod wishes to have. The amount of money to build the LSX will be just as much as the LSJ build. Rod said he wanted reliable so I can only assume he will not be using the LS2 block as he stated in will instead choose the LSX iron block. I guess time will tell what he will choose to do.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:15 PM

small brain LOL. You cant wrap the idea around your head as to why he cant do an LSJ build but your saying i have the small brain. Wow your good at this, keep making an ass out of yourself, trust me, you are.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:18 PM

He can't do an LSJ build because he chooses not too. Forget the whole money aspect. Building a reliable LSX single turbo or LSJ single turbo will cost nearly the same amount of money. It all comes down to a matter of preference on Rod's behalf.

Why else can't the LSJ be done? Because it will be unreliable? That's an opinion because I've seen 1000 HP 4 cylinder with no major issues.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:22 PM

A streetable 1000hp LSJ? Show me 2 that are street legal. Right from the beginning, he has wanted to build a streetable dragster, he didnt just decide that earlier.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:31 AM

Would you two be quiet and take your arguement somewhere else. Rod finally made a decision that should have been made a LONG time ago. The 1000hp LSJ just wasnt going to work for him. I`ll give you a couple reasons why it would have never worked.

The first and main reason is that Rod isn`t, nor is he capable or doing the work to the engine himself. What this means is that he is unable to do the rebuilds and the maintenence himself either. Having to ship the engine back and forth to Ontario to the shop that built it just doesn`t make sence. By going with an LS2 instead of the LSJ, he opens himself up to a wider range of engine builders on the west coast that can do his work for him.

Second of all, the engine parts required to achieve 1000hp in the LSJ are all custom made. Remember how long it took for the damn crankshaft to me made? This means that if something breaks, your car is down until someone makes you a new part. I don't see this issue happening with the LS2 because parts are readily available.

There is a very good reason why all the drag cobalts have V8's in them.......IT'S WHAT WORKS!!!!

Congrats on making a wise decision Rod. Don't apologize to us, your the victim here.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:37 AM

im arguing as to why robs decision was right, so too bad if im not going to quiet down while someone criticises his decision
Old 04-24-2009, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BooSSted
Would you two be quiet and take your arguement somewhere else. Rod finally made a decision that should have been made a LONG time ago. The 1000hp LSJ just wasnt going to work for him. I`ll give you a couple reasons why it would have never worked.

The first and main reason is that Rod isn`t, nor is he capable or doing the work to the engine himself. What this means is that he is unable to do the rebuilds and the maintenence himself either. Having to ship the engine back and forth to Ontario to the shop that built it just doesn`t make sence. By going with an LS2 instead of the LSJ, he opens himself up to a wider range of engine builders on the west coast that can do his work for him.

Second of all, the engine parts required to achieve 1000hp in the LSJ are all custom made. Remember how long it took for the damn crankshaft to me made? This means that if something breaks, your car is down until someone makes you a new part. I don't see this issue happening with the LS2 because parts are readily available.

There is a very good reason why all the drag cobalts have V8's in them.......IT'S WHAT WORKS!!!!

Congrats on making a wise decision Rod. Don't apologize to us, your the victim here.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
although i am also dissapointed ..considering im local and would see this thing running around sometimes it has to be said that at least it'll be in existance ...ls2 or not still will be nice to see it at the local drag strip , and yes reliability wise 1000+hp lsj would be very maintenence (sp) happy, o well..still nice ot see this coming along lemme know if u need any help rod
Old 04-24-2009, 04:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lsj would have been cooler to see regardless.

why not just save a ton of money and pick up a LM7? bore it out to 4", LQ9 heads, boost it. High revving, high flowing, save money.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:18 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
not quite, looking at least $30-$40g's to build that motor (trust that number came from the guy that developed the race motors). It will not last long (regardless of how it's driven, that's the nature of the 4 banger beast). Ad trust the fact that he went over every aspect to try and keep it an LSJ, and was still trying to keep it an LSJ even as of this weekend. But what was spent already, and the fact that the motor that was "built" (lsj) is garbage and needs to be completely redone, kind of killed that idea.

I know of a few 1000hp "street" cars around here (4 bangers) but these motors are torn down and redone every few weeks or so. Not the best of ideas to try and keep a car reliable and when the shop that is building it is no where near you.
I guess you guys missed this post, so let me put it up again.

and Kurt Urban is building his motor for a very good price...... IF I could get someone like that to build me a motor for that price, I would do so in a heartbeat. IT would be in the RX-7 lol.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:52 AM

This thread needs to be cleaned up ( A LOT )
Old 04-24-2009, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by _UnLiMiTeD_
im arguing as to why robs decision was right, so too bad if im not going to quiet down while someone criticises his decision
Criticism is nothing but an opinion. He has his opinion, and he has the right too it. His opinion isn't going to change anything, so just let it go. I'm sure Rod is a big boy and he doesn't need you to police his thread for him.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
For those of you who are actually happy about the LS2, thank you. Heck even a few of you are xstatic and that is cool. I do need to ask iroc_mitch though, I don't need to put on a scoop like that do I???
Only if you want to be kick ass like us

Actually no, don't. We had to raise up the 'tree at the drag strip about 2 inches because the scoop was blocking it. If you truly take that thing on the street you are going to need no blind spots to look for cops.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:56 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by iroc mitch
Only if you want to be kick ass like us

Actually no, don't. We had to raise up the 'tree at the drag strip about 2 inches because the scoop was blocking it. If you truly take that thing on the street you are going to need no blind spots to look for cops.
I also don't want to give them another reason to pull me over. The tires on the back might give away that something has been modded.

I will also say that this car will be built and checked over so that it passes all of the provincial inspections. I have already talked to a race shop that is authorized to do these inspections. This car will drive on the street legally.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
not quite, looking at least $30-$40g's to build that motor (trust that number came from the guy that developed the race motors). It will not last long (regardless of how it's driven, that's the nature of the 4 banger beast). Ad trust the fact that he went over every aspect to try and keep it an LSJ, and was still trying to keep it an LSJ even as of this weekend. But what was spent already, and the fact that the motor that was "built" (lsj) is garbage and needs to be completely redone, kind of killed that idea.

I know of a few 1000hp "street" cars around here (4 bangers) but these motors are torn down and redone every few weeks or so. Not the best of ideas to try and keep a car reliable and when the shop that is building it is no where near you.
what does this post have to do with me suggesting that he do an even cheaper LM7?
Old 04-24-2009, 09:04 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by ralliartist
what does this post have to do with me suggesting that he do an even cheaper LM7?
I am sure Paul was addressing the LSJ option.

Just to be clear, Powell Motor Sport will be addressing the issue of doing the rest of the project as cost effective as possible. They will not be throwing my money away and they have my best interest at heart. Powell knows the whole story and are there to fix the problems.

The plan for the engine and project will be formulated in 10 days or so. An update will follow that.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:37 PM

Good news Rod.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:04 AM

is the rwd balt done yet? its been like 2 years? ive been waiting lol
Old 04-25-2009, 08:11 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by justin04
is the rwd balt done yet? its been like 2 years? ive been waiting lol
So funny for 1st thing in the morning

You may like to know the John Powell, who is now heading up the project, is himself a Brit.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:28 PM

are you trying to say that him being a Brit is a good thing? I just try not to hold it against him lol

Quick Reply: victory_red_SS goes RWD