2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

What makes a plug bad when it doesnt show any signs of being bad ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What makes a plug bad when it doesnt show any signs of being bad ??

I finally found out today why my SS has been so poochy and slow feeling and idling kinda choppy . But it was a last resort , desparate , shot in the dark at replacing the plugs today and thats what it was . I got all my power back , and its back to idling normal . But , all the OE plugs looked great/normal . They didnt show any signs of being cracked , all the gaps were at .040 , porcelin was light tan , electrode clean , small amount of carbon build up on the outer ring .

Im stumped as to why these plugs or plug woulda been bad @ 27,000 miles . Anyone have any insight maybe ?
Old 05-28-2006, 10:00 PM

I had the same issue. Misfire problem. Dealership blamed it on my intake. I swapped the plugs problem went away and has been gone for quite a few months. Damn I hate Nucar service techs....

Anyway, It could be its not conducting right or a bit of carbon bluilt up where the electric has to go or something like that.

I keep a spare set just for this reason.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:02 PM

Were you throwing a P0300 multiple missfire code too ? I was setting that code almost daily .
Old 05-28-2006, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSS/SC
Were you throwing a P0300 multiple missfire code too ? I was setting that code almost daily .
I was pulling codes yea, but the GM techs probably lied to me and said it was an intake code. Go figure...
Old 06-01-2006, 10:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To plug or not to plug

Originally Posted by SilverSS/SC
I finally found out today why my SS has been so poochy and slow feeling and idling kinda choppy . But it was a last resort , desparate , shot in the dark at replacing the plugs today and thats what it was . I got all my power back , and its back to idling normal . But , all the OE plugs looked great/normal . They didnt show any signs of being cracked , all the gaps were at .040 , porcelin was light tan , electrode clean , small amount of carbon build up on the outer ring .

Im stumped as to why these plugs or plug woulda been bad @ 27,000 miles . Anyone have any insight maybe ?
Reading spark plugs is getting to be a lost art, but is regularily done by most racers of all racing disclipines.

That being said, they can look completely normal on the outside, but be wasted inside. Depends upon a lot of things, type of use-i.e. how hard the engine was driven, if the engine was under boost, how much, type of fuel/additives used, to name a couple of possibilities.

The NGK racing plugs in my drag car often look normal after a season of racing but no longer perform up to par. That is probably wth under 25 miles or so on them, of course most of which were under WOT @ 11:1 compression with 116+ octane. That's not counting warm ups and burnouts.

With todays high energy systems, and the amount of extremely high voltage that is coursing through the plugs, it amazes me that they last as long as they do, in the hostile environment they live in.

In drag racing the philosophy is simple, plugs are cheap, when in doubt change them.

JWH