2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Brake cylinder and booster swap question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake cylinder and booster swap question

Posted in suspension section and had no luck, so moving the thread here..

Hello,
I was doing some research on the forums and just needed some questions answered.
I have a 2006 Cobalt LS and was planning on doing a 5 lug swap and brake swap down the road. I am currently trying to piece together the brakes and had some questions about the brake master cylinder and power booster..

I glossed over this thread to get some of my information: https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/susp...64/index2.html

So from what I am gathering I can have these two scenarios:

Option 1
If I go brembo front and LSJ rear calipers
I could use the LSJ brake master cylinder and LSJ brake power booster

Option 2
If I go brembo front and LNF rear calipers
I would need the LNF brake master cylinder and LNF brake power booster

I would like to go with option 2 as I found a LNF brake master cylinder and power booster for $60.

So my question is would the lnf brake master cylinder and power booster be a direct swap in my car?
Old 07-18-2012, 02:00 AM

I'm gonna go ahead and say this is a negative ghost rider. Could be wrong but I'm assuming there will need to be somewhat of a tune associated along with needing calipers, brackets, rotors, pads, knuckle, hub, control arms, brake lines (soft and hard) and obviously new wheels. It's going to suck for you
Old 07-18-2012, 02:17 AM

BLKLS did a 5 lug swap on his base model. cost him baout 1000$

find him and PM him. theres even a how to

/search
Old 07-18-2012, 02:20 AM

when I do the 5-lug swap the rear beam assembly has the brackets built into it, I was planning on swapping hubs and rotors and re-drilling them to 5x114.3... Also got a pair of fe5 control arms and knuckles for dirt cheap, and the new wheels are a given.

I was just hoping that by swapping to the brake booster and master cylinder that the brake bias would be compensated for to a certain degree. Just don't know if it's a direct swap though lol.

Originally Posted by AzraelRaezier
BLKLS did a 5 lug swap on his base model. cost him baout 1000$

find him and PM him. theres even a how to

/search
/read original post maybe?
I am just asking if the brake booster and cylinder are a direct swap, just need an answer.

Last edited by intel; 07-18-2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the idea of a better bias. But how hard are you really gonna run your car?
Idk the particulars of the swap. But honestly it sounds like a lot of time, money and effort wasted. (Correct me if im wrong)
I wish you the best of luck and fun though.

Last edited by scagnetti76; 07-18-2012 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-18-2012, 04:21 AM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
cant you just use the ls master and booster? thats what i plan on
Old 07-18-2012, 05:03 AM

I don't know how good an idea swapping those would be. I don't know if the bias is built into the master cylinder or the abs module. I just used my old one but I also left the rear drums. Powell has a kit for converting to rear disk, it might be a better option to do that and then re-drill for 5x114.

If I had to guess, I would say they should fit. Not sure about the brake lines but hell, there all the same shell so why wouldn't it. Are the booster really any different? Have you checked the part numbers they could be the same? Even the master could be the same. Look into that first.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the input guys, ya I know Powell makes a converting disk. I mentioned that when someone asked about it in this thread in May https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l...m-disc-279515/

@scagnetti76
I'm doing it for more of a learning process and it should be fun

@slowbalt
Ya, I believe when people do the disc swap a lot of people end up keeping their original booster + cylinder.

@BLKLS
I didn't think about checking the part numbers, I will give that a try. I just assumed they were different because I read "if you use the LNF master cylinder you gotta use the power booster as well, the reservoir is different etc"
Old 07-18-2012, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by BankerBalt
I'm gonna go ahead and say this is a negative ghost rider. Could be wrong but I'm assuming there will need to be somewhat of a tune associated along with needing calipers, brackets, rotors, pads, knuckle, hub, control arms, brake lines (soft and hard) and obviously new wheels. It's going to suck for you
Why would you need to change hard lines? They are all routed the same unless they don't have ABS, then they are close enough to the same to get a bender, cutter, and flare tool and adjust...
Old 07-18-2012, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by BLKLS
I don't know how good an idea swapping those would be. I don't know if the bias is built into the master cylinder or the abs module.
Niether, it is built into the proportioning valve which on non-ABS models is near the drivers side headlight and coolant overflow.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by tru2nrtt777
Niether, it is built into the proportioning valve which on non-ABS models is near the drivers side headlight and coolant overflow.
Duh yeah, I see that everytime I open my hood.

@intel dude check the part numbers, then email Powell. He's done a few brembo's swaps on ls's see what he says. But honestly I'm really happy with my brakes now, I don't have abs so stock the rears would lock up way before the fronts. Not anymore, just don't be stupid like me and not change your brake shoes. I haven't had time/it's been 100 degrees after work and I wanna go home, to change them for vibration.

Hope that I can go out this weekend and bomb some back roads. Get a get a real feel for the brakes and newly installed sportlines.