2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Cobalt ss beating a LS (turbo'd) unlikely? Finally proven

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im bout 90% sure that im gonna get a stage 1 turbo for the spring and possibly 75% sure bout getting the stage 2 ( im sure it will be avaialbe by then). i would get it sooner but i dont think i need a turbo for the winters up here in new england and not to mention i have to wait to get my money from my investments.

ryan
Old 10-05-2005, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by phxSS
Exactly. "Too much stress on your engine without upgrades" is key point here.
Anyone actually serious about doing any modifciations on their car is not worried about a warranty.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:06 AM

seems like too many people have been sippin' on some:

in this thread!
Old 10-05-2005, 02:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hateing on our own kind....... hate them Hondas not each other

___
Old 10-05-2005, 10:25 AM

why should you hate any car? its so immature and stupid when i see people say things like hate the imports or hate the hondas.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:33 AM

because they have annoying loud exhausts that give me headaches and think they are hot ****... as they do the ricer fly by and lose their unpainted bumper.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by celicacobalt
why should you hate any car? its so immature and stupid when i see people say things like hate the imports or hate the hondas.
Oh I don't hate the car, it's the idiot behind the wheel that thinks honda automatically means sports car and fast.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by WickedSS2005
Oh I don't hate the car, it's the idiot behind the wheel that thinks honda automatically means sports car and fast.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:30 PM

Talking Holy ****

Well wow I am amazed at all the crap that has been posted on here in such a short amount of time. First and foremost I would love to take pics and make all kinds of cool videos for everyone to watch me smoke an ss. But I don't have time or a digital camera, and I am sure as hell not going to go and buy one to prove what I have said. I am in university right now and I barely have time to shave! Also the turbo I got was off my friends cavy who figured it wouldn't increase the value of his car that much when he sold it, so he gave it to me and I got it installed in my car. As as far as this argument goes about the ss vs. and Ls turbocharged, I think its all retarded.. personally if I had the money I would have bought neither and got the 2.4! The ss is an all around better car...it has a better trans, internals, suspension, interior, and exterior. However when it comes down to serious HP I don't care what cobalt you have, the internals need upgrading. To all SS owners, your correct you do have the potential to handle more boast but only to a certain point. But anything over 300 Hp both 2.2 and 2.0's are pretty much in the same boat, our engines will both need the same upgrades.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by phxSS
Let's have a contest..whaever mod the 2.2 does, the 2.0 will do. Then we'll have a contest. Besides, you will spend the same, if not more than buying an SS once you upgrade the tranny, tires, wheels, brakes, and exhaust. Oh yea, BTW, if you make displcement an issue, I'll just bore out my motor, now what do you have to say?
This has got to be the dumbest thread ever. First off, why are most of the SS owners so defensive? You can make any car fast. The 2.2L eco has alot of potential. The 2.0L and 2.2L are essentially the same engine, just different variants of eachother with slightly different internals. Nearly identical in design. If someone turbo'es an LS or any other eco, it has the same potential possibilities as does the SS. Difference? Alot of these guys paid less for their base models than the SS guys did. Sure the SS and IRL are great deals, but they aren't the end all, be all of sport compacts either.

Why does everyone have to get their panties up in a bunch anyways? I own an ION sedan. I get flacked by the IRL guys because my car is slow. So the hell what? If I went out and bought a turbo kit, or an RSM supercharger kit, I expect these guys to show me some damn respect. It's all about the tuning. We are tuners for a reason, and I don't give two craps that this person has an SS or IRL with recaro seats or better upgraded internals, blah blah blah. We all bought our cars for a reason, let's just help eachother out instead of shunning eachother. At the end of the day, we all own cars, we all love cars, and we all have that tuning urge. Let's not destroy that. For the haters, go to hell.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:24 AM

^^^ well said
Old 10-06-2005, 10:27 AM

Old 10-06-2005, 10:29 AM
The Stig

Originally Posted by saturnd00d
This has got to be the dumbest thread ever. First off, why are most of the SS owners so defensive? You can make any car fast. The 2.2L eco has alot of potential. The 2.0L and 2.2L are essentially the same engine, just different variants of eachother with slightly different internals. Nearly identical in design. If someone turbo'es an LS or any other eco, it has the same potential possibilities as does the SS. Difference? Alot of these guys paid less for their base models than the SS guys did. Sure the SS and IRL are great deals, but they aren't the end all, be all of sport compacts either.

Why does everyone have to get their panties up in a bunch anyways? I own an ION sedan. I get flacked by the IRL guys because my car is slow. So the hell what? If I went out and bought a turbo kit, or an RSM supercharger kit, I expect these guys to show me some damn respect. It's all about the tuning. We are tuners for a reason, and I don't give two craps that this person has an SS or IRL with recaro seats or better upgraded internals, blah blah blah. We all bought our cars for a reason, let's just help eachother out instead of shunning eachother. At the end of the day, we all own cars, we all love cars, and we all have that tuning urge. Let's not destroy that. For the haters, go to hell.
This is an automotive forum, and these are the things discussed on automotive forums.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:36 AM

i dont know about the rest of you but ive seen more cavalier and sunfire ricer flybys then any other car...
Old 10-06-2005, 10:38 AM
The Stig

i dont know about the rest of you but ive seen more cavalier and sunfire ricer flybys then any other car...
It's been about equal for me. Civics and Cav's alike.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by MarcS
This is an automotive forum, and these are the things discussed on automotive forums.
So I guess that makes these kinds of discussions right then...yep, we can't actually have a civilized discussion, it has to end in ranting, and putdowns. To me that says true automotive discussion </sarcasm>. Nevermind helping out your fellow tuner or giving them props on improving the car they have, rather than telling them they wasted their money buying and fixing up a base model.

And posts like this...
only exist to stir up more trouble. Let's stick to being TRUE tuners. If you can't get through a thread in a civilized manner, you are truly either not an automotive person, or a ricer at heart. End of discussion.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:45 AM
The Stig

So I guess that makes these kinds of discussions right then...yep, we can't actually have a civilized discussion, it has to end in ranting, and putdowns. To me that says true automotive discussion </sarcasm>. Nevermind helping out your fellow tuner or giving them props on improving the car they have, rather than telling them they wasted their money buying and fixing up a base model.
I'm not saying it's right. But inherently people will disagree.

The majority of people on the site are supportive in my opinion.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:49 AM

For the most part, yes and no (leaning towards yes). I belong to many forums, and on each and every one of them, I get flacked for my car. I couldn't care less. I bought my car for a reason, and nothing is going to change my mind into thinking I made the wrong decision. If people don't like the direction I am taking with my car, then so be it. I can't change that. But I can tell you, that I'm not wasting hundreds or even thousands of my hard earned money to make others happy either. I'm in it for me, and if someone wants help or advice, I'll be more than happy to offer it.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:54 AM
The Stig

For the most part, yes and no (leaning towards yes). I belong to many forums, and on each and every one of them, I get flacked for my car. I couldn't care less. I bought my car for a reason, and nothing is going to change my mind into thinking I made the wrong decision. If people don't like the direction I am taking with my car, then so be it. I can't change that. But I can tell you, that I'm not wasting hundreds or even thousands of my hard earned money to make others happy either. I'm in it for me, and if someone wants help or advice, I'll be more than happy to offer it.
I agree, you can't always eliminate immaturity, but unfortunately it's something you have to deal with on most forums.

Personally I like this one best; it's been extremely helpful to me.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:59 AM

This forum has been great in terms of useful info. You guys have been accepting to the fact that I own a slow ION sedan, which is nice for once. I don't expect immaturity to be weeded out no matter where one goes on the net these days. It's up to the true enthusiasts to recognize and ignore the crap that we have to face. I've been doing it, and I've been trying to steer people in the right direction on occasions, but some people don't care about what is right, and what is wrong, they are narrow minded and what they know, is what is right. Anyways, again, let's just all be supportive of eachother. Whether your into modding or not.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:00 AM
The Stig

This forum has been great in terms of useful info. You guys have been accepting to the fact that I own a slow ION sedan, which is nice for once. I don't expect immaturity to be weeded out no matter where one goes on the net these days. It's up to the true enthusiasts to recognize and ignore the crap that we have to face. I've been doing it, and I've been trying to steer people in the right direction on occasions, but some people don't care about what is right, and what is wrong, they are narrow minded and what they know, is what is right. Anyways, again, let's just all be supportive of eachother. Whether your into modding or not.
Agreed
Old 10-06-2005, 05:21 PM

Thumbs up

well look guys we all own a cobalt at least agree on this this is the firs serious domestic conteder to to the civic market and to all the cavy and former cavy owners out there lets face one thing the cobalt has body style the cavy does not the body sells the car as long as gm keeps this engine from turning into a lemon. the old domestic four bangers of the 80s from back then were crap the body style was crap the whole thing looked like a retard f****** a football hence gm in 05 seen the light and perhaps said lets give honda a run for there money i mean i was so close to buying a damn civic and dont get me wrong its a great car but just look at the cobalt its body is way sicker than a civic more stock hp on a base model more hp on an ss than an si i mean come on guys the civic crowd should be shaking in their shoes along with honda gm has finally seen the light so let all get along and go kick some ricer ass
Old 10-06-2005, 05:40 PM

Well, if you want to think of it this way...Yea, a 2.2L ECO turbo'd may be able to beat a stock SS/SC but even when us as in SS/SC owners start to upgrade our cars at least we will still retain better reliability than a turbo'd 2.2L ECO, but that is besides the point...I love my SS and wouldn't trade it for a LS cobalt anyday, sry to upset you 2.2L guys but I like my recaro's, LSD, outstanding handling, good brakes etc....All in all it comes down to preference...
Old 10-06-2005, 05:49 PM

Ya what he said .

I still say if you're going F/I on your 2.2L with the sole puprose of beating an SS you're doing it for the wrong reasons. The first time you lose to one (which will happen ) you're going to be kicking yourself in the ass the whole way home and you'll still be out that cash that you spent on it in the first place.

I'm considering it strictly for the additional power for when you need it and yes of course to have some fun with the car when the time is right...I could really care less which cars I'm going to beat as a result of T/C or S/C my LS . I think when it comes down to it, if you don't do it mainly because you just want to as opposed to worrying about which car you're going to destroy next you won't be nearly as happy with your investment as those wjp do it for the fun of modding your vehicle and making it original (at least for its' model)...just my .02 .

Permafried-
Old 10-06-2005, 08:35 PM

exactly modding is half the fun it doesnt matter if its an ss or an ls its still a cobalt and thats all that matters

Quick Reply: Cobalt ss beating a LS (turbo'd) unlikely? Finally proven