2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

differences with premium gas usage

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
you guys are idiots... octane is nothing more than gas's resistance to detonation... you are supposed to use the lowest octane that does not product knock... end of story.. nothing else... game over... end yourself...

using premium in a 2.2 is good for one thing, and one thing only... spending more money than you have to... you can trick yourself into believing that it's actually benefitting your car, but it's not... again, end of story...

people associate high octane with more horse power INCORRECTLY because higher horsepower engines call for higher octane... why?? do some research for yourself... i'm sick of covering the same topic over, and over, and over because some ricer thinks he's getting better gas mileage and 20 more hp from using 100 octane in his base model 126 whp car...
I never said it gave me more power. I said it prevents the copmputer from retarding the timing and reducing power, which my car does, just like my previous 2003 Cavalier.

Originally Posted by marerick007
You might want to read the owner's manual. You must be getting some crappy gas for it to run bad on 87 octane, simply put. If it was tuned to a higher octane, then it would say it in the owners manual like the SS/SC recommends Premium.
I have tested it on both of the ecotec cars that I have owned. It made a difference. I didn't expect it to, but it did.

Originally Posted by rallyyellow06
The only thing that would matter for our gas is Top Tier Gas. Such as SHELL. It reduces the carbon build up over time and keeps the engine clean.

This Octane crap is just that, crap. Theres no way you can tell 100% that 90 octane gives you 5 more mpg. Its impossible because the driving conditions will never be the same or close enough on a city or highway to reproduce accurate results.
Yes, I can tell you 100% that it increased my milage. Like I said above, I didn't think it would make ANY difference at all. The numbers don't lie.

Also, I am going off of ACTUAL numbers. I am not going off of the computer. I divide gallons into miles. I do record the computer reading for comparison and it ususally off by 2-7%. I am done arguing. I suggest you try it your self in your own vehicles. If it doesn't help, good for you, you don't have to buy the more expensive fuel. If it does help, you get better milage and prolong the life of your engine and exhaust system.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:07 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cawpin
I never said it gave me more power. I said it prevents the copmputer from retarding the timing and reducing power, which my car does, just like my previous 2003 Cavalier.

I have tested it on both of the ecotec cars that I have owned. It made a difference. I didn't expect it to, but it did.

Yes, I can tell you 100% that it increased my milage. Like I said above, I didn't think it would make ANY difference at all. The numbers don't lie.

Also, I am going off of ACTUAL numbers. I am not going off of the computer. I divide gallons into miles. I do record the computer reading for comparison and it ususally off by 2-7%. I am done arguing. I suggest you try it your self in your own vehicles. If it doesn't help, good for you, you don't have to buy the more expensive fuel. If it does help, you get better milage and prolong the life of your engine and exhaust system.

2 things, if my post didn't apply to you, then don't post it back up... 2nd thing is HOW is it possible to get better mileage and prolong the life of your egine and exhaust? Can you explain how that works? or are you just making it up
Old 11-01-2006, 09:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cawpin

also, since there's no accuracte way to tell how many gallons of gas you used, how can you possibly say that it increased your mileage?

here's a quote for you from chemistry.com

Originally Posted by Ownage of Cawpin
The recommended gasoline for most cars is regular 87 octane. One common misconception is that higher octane gasoline contains more cleaning additives than lower octane gas. All octane grades of all brands of gasoline contain engine cleaning detergent additives to protect against engine deposit build-up. In fact, using a gasoline with too high of an octane rating may cause damage to the emissions system.
i'm not posting this to make you feel like an idiot.. but what you're saying is wrong.... and people will think it's true and do it, and hurt their cars, and you will be responsible... so please when you post something like this up, research it because this has been debated for years and years and years... and the answer is ALWAYS the same...
Old 11-01-2006, 09:30 AM
Banned

here's what the same site said about premium:

Originally Posted by Ownage Part2
Premium Gasoline
Certain high performance engines benefit from use of high octane fuel. For other engines, using a fuel with a higher octane rating than the vehicle requires sends unburned fuel into the emissions system and catalytic converter. This puts unecessary stress on the emissions system. For some vehicles, a rotten egg smell coming from the tailpipe signals use of too-high octane gas.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Banned

now, i could be wrong, but to me that does NOT sound like it would prolong the life of your exhaust, or give you better mileage...

Old 11-01-2006, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisAult2004
you guys can say what you want about there being no noticable difference in our cars when we use 87 or 92/93 octane gas, but i totally disagree. i am a rather spirited driver, and i used to driver a camaro tuned specifically for premium fuel only. after i got the balt it was habit to put the good gas in it, and i have done so for all 6700 miles i have put on the car. last week i descided to see the actually differences (if any) in my car with regular gas in it. the acceleration feels the same to me, i cant tell a difference in performance at all, however, my gas mileage has plumitted. with my driving, done in the city for about 80+%, i typically average 27+, and i have never personally see less than 25 otherwise... hell i averaged 27.3 on the way to our last columbus meet going 100 mph most of the way lol. after putting the regular fuel in my car, i immeadiately noticed the change here. in the city im lucky to break about 23, and i only averaged 27 on the highway right after filling up.

to me, its more than worth the $.20 and i will never put regular in my car again. please do not flame me saying that our compression does not justify the use of higher octane fuels, this is just what i have experienced.

Well the LS models are only rated to take regular gas as the SS models are rated for Super.

Also if you used Super in you car for the 6700 miles your car is going to get used to burning that type of gas. You had to fill up at least 15 times before you put regular in.
You should give your car a few fill ups for the computer to adjust to burning the new fuel.
Try running regular gas for that amount of miles and then make your desicion.

I use 93 in my car because I have no choice. If I put anything less in it will start making clicking sounds and it runs like crap very noticeably too.

If you choose to use regular in the long run you will save $$ every month.

$.20 x 14 gallon tank = $2.80 week Saved
$2.80 x lets say 6 fill ups a month = $16.80 month Saved
$16.80 x a year = $201.60 year Saved.

It's not much but it's something right
You can give yourself an advance and get an intake.