Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 04:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 05sedan
yea it was gm using the 100shot on the car
Thanks for clarifying.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did u happen to catch the cobalt on redline tv they was modding? injen sri,corsa catback gave them 16fwhp and almost the same torque...then they added nitrous :;cant remember size shot:: and got like 192fwhp and well over 200ftrq
Old 04-01-2006, 06:41 PM

upto 250 is stable without replacing too much, then the next stable levels are 400 and 600hp with lots of money and engine crap. I have a whole Cd, and book on how to get these gains on the 2.2 ecotech.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by FRIARPOP
upto 250 is stable without replacing too much.... I have a whole Cd, and book on how to get these gains on the 2.2 ecotech.
Don't believe that whole 250 HP thing. Read my previous post:

Originally Posted by NJHK
Oh I understand and I'm not trying to bite your head off, just stating that there have been many to prove that # to be incorrect. Like I said before, that's an estimated number and a safe # for GM to use. Also, I believe they broke the rod at that horsepower rating while using nitrous...like 100 shot or something of that nature. Instant sudden power like nitrous hitting puts way more stress on your connecting rods than gradual power like boost.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:20 AM
Moderator Alumni

It's going to take lots of expensive tools and machining to bring a stock 2.2 ecotec block up to specs where is can do the ~8500 RPM's to get close to 250 BHP.

The first S2000 made 240 hp and thats at 9k rpms

High HP on a N/A motor means super high revs. How can my 600 CC sports bike make 105 HP? 16k revolutions a minute

It's definetly a noble goal.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by traviskearney
without N20, super, or turbo......200 tops.
http://www.ecotecpower.com/forums/re...&i=3929&t=3929

read above, its been posted once already.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by zinner
It's going to take lots of expensive tools and machining to bring a stock 2.2 ecotec block up to specs where is can do the ~8500 RPM's to get close to 250 BHP.

The first S2000 made 240 hp and thats at 9k rpms

High HP on a N/A motor means super high revs. How can my 600 CC sports bike make 105 HP? 16k revolutions a minute

It's definetly a noble goal.
Yup, and the downside is that there is usually a big change in torque in the process of revving so high.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:30 PM

I would be very surprised to see anyone hit 200whp NA period (crank is possible maybe) but regardless its going to be alot of work, money and tuning. And in the end you'd probably have some peaky almost non streetable car. Remember you have to gain 80 hp to the wheels just to hit 200whp. That is a crazy amount of power to have to be gained through NA mods.

A completely bone stock engine on just 7-8psi would match those power levels and probably come out at half the cost.

Just not worth it IMO...as said earlier. You need an engine that can move more air if you want to go NA.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltCowboy
did a little search and came up with squat, so here i am. what kind of numbers can you expect from a well tuned NA 2.2? if that's a little to general then would it be possible to get 250whp outta this puppy, on engine alone?

giving this NA thing some serious thought. wanted to go turbo but i'm thinking this being my first modded car i want to play with the engine and just go FI on my next ride.
People do these kinds of things all the time. I love taking a little 4cyl motor and just doing it up na, of course I have cylender boring and honing equipment along with a flow bench thousands in measuring tools, etc. Doing something up na like this is easy and cheap... as long as you have all the right tools on hand and you know how to do all the work yourself. It also doesn't hurt that I get all my parts wholesale through my business.

For the average guy who just wants to make a peppy lil sports car and who generally isn't going to do the work themselves, forced induction is the way to go. Slapping a turbo on and throwing the car on the computer and a dyno for an hour is much easier and cheaper than measuring bearing clearances, rocker ratios, cam lift, duration, etc. Alot of people think they can just bore out a block throw some forged **** in there and a big cam and the motor will scream. There's a lot of calculations and thought that goes into building an na motor, thus a lot of man-hours, so... a lot of money.

But honestly, either way you go will be a huge learning experience and a lot of fun.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by 05sedan
did u happen to catch the cobalt on redline tv they was modding? injen sri,corsa catback gave them 16fwhp and almost the same torque...then they added nitrous :;cant remember size shot:: and got like 192fwhp and well over 200ftrq
don't believe everything you see on tv. While I'm not saying it's not possible, its also not unusual for a manufacturer to throw some green on the table for them to mess with correction #s on a dyno.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:16 PM

245 - 18% = 200. 200 wheel tops without turbo, super, or N20.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:19 AM

Don't believe everything you read from GM. There are plenty of people who are boosted running 250+ WHP on stock internals and very reliable.
you keep saying this, and personally, i agree, there are a lot of people doing this.

the thing is that we dont want to try to push out 300whp on stock internals because gm, the manufacturer of the engine, has made the statement that the engine, with stock engine internals is good for a maximum of 250hp.

again, not disagreeing with you here, but not all of us are willing to take our chances.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:30 AM

245 - 18% = 200. 200 wheel tops without turbo, super, or N20.
245-13% = 213 for manual....or am i missing something?
Old 04-03-2006, 03:26 AM

civickiller... u are taking this too personal.
from the posts you have been making you are instigating and lowering the maturaty of the discussion.

NJHK has made some really good points... you have aswell, but i dont see any reason to discredit him

in his defense, 1/4 times prove everything. for example, Car and Driver tested a modified 750hp (i believe), supercharged Z06 corvette running an 11.6 1/4.... i only had time to glance over the article while i was at work. you would think the car would run faster, but it had so much hp it just lit up the tires.

same goes for high rpm ricers (excuse the generalization). a torqueless ricer might put out some sweet hp numbers, but a 1/4 time prove the actual performance.

moral of the story, it is difficult and expensive to get an N/A cobalt to get high hp AND torque gains while still maintaning reliability (talking 250hp+ range). NJHK is absolutely right and he has done a great job explaining this. the least one could do is appreciate the time he spent to explain this.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by ReMz
from the posts you have been making you are instigating and lowering the maturaty of the discussion.

NJHK has made some really good points... you have aswell, but i dont see any reason to discredit him

in his defense, 1/4 times prove everything. for example, Car and Driver tested a modified 750hp (i believe), supercharged Z06 corvette running an 11.6 1/4.... i only had time to glance over the article while i was at work. you would think the car would run faster, but it had so much hp it just lit up the tires.

same goes for high rpm ricers (excuse the generalization). a torqueless ricer might put out some sweet hp numbers, but a 1/4 time prove the actual performance.

moral of the story, it is difficult and expensive to get an N/A cobalt to get high hp AND torque gains while still maintaning reliability (talking 250hp+ range). NJHK is absolutely right and he has done a great job explaining this. the least one could do is appreciate the time he spent to explain this.
Thank You. It's most appreciated and I agree with the points you made as well.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by CivicKiller98
you keep saying this, and personally, i agree, there are a lot of people doing this.

the thing is that we dont want to try to push out 300whp on stock internals because gm, the manufacturer of the engine, has made the statement that the engine, with stock engine internals is good for a maximum of 250hp.

again, not disagreeing with you here, but not all of us are willing to take our chances.
I respect what you're saying and you would be smarter to replace the engine internals to run a higher amount of boost for insurance like you said.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:34 AM

245-13% = 213 for manual....or am i missing something?
245 - 15% = 208 if you wanna be perfect. AND 245 - 23% = 188 if you add an all wheel drive system. But who's lame enough to argue about a 13 horse difference......oh wait.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Novajoe
don't believe everything you see on tv. While I'm not saying it's not possible, its also not unusual for a manufacturer to throw some green on the table for them to mess with correction #s on a dyno.
With a 55 shot my car has 200whp. The only difference between my mods and theirs is a tb spacer and a ceramic header. I think those two mods can easily make 8 whp. I have no doubt that those were real #s.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:48 AM

245 - 15% = 208 if you wanna be perfect. AND 245 - 23% = 188 if you add an all wheel drive system. But who's lame enough to argue about a 13 horse difference......oh wait.
13 hp difference isnt a small difference, especially when we are talking about building a car when every little ounce of hp would be needed.

i noticed you used that 13% figure in one of your threads so why is it 15% today?
Old 04-03-2006, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by ReMz

i havent been on in what feels like a month, and i actually took the 30 min to read every single post on here. coulda probably read it faster if i wasnt up till 5 studying.

anyways, doable or not, i think this is where things started getting ugly and why.
on a note, i have seen similar posts saying "its too difficult" and "its going to cost loads of money" on a certain unrelated forum and helped two people successfully build their jbody ecotecs. i think that the real problem lies in that people usually dont choose to go this way because it takes more thought to tweak out extra horsepower when it doesnt involve turning up the boost.
the reply.
So you're saying that you have to be a genious to run Naturally Aspirated and make power from it? No. Intelligence doesn't even play that much into effect, it's all about common sense. Turning up the boost as you put it isn't as easy as you think. You think someone can just say "hey, I don't want to run 5 psi, lets put it 10 psi"? NO. You have to make sure the a/f ratio levels are going to be maintained properly, you have to make sure that your injectors are properly sized to handle sending that much fuel etc etc. There is way more monitoring of things when you are boosted than you think and that you are giving credit to.
i know CK98 personally so i may be a little biased here, but it sounds to me like NJHK jumped on him pretty harshly here, basically said that he was being a bit condesending. i think i would be pissed too if someone tried to put words in my mouth. maybe i read this wrong though, so i wont jump to conclusions.
i just noticed from this post on, **** got ugly.

doable? well travis got like 195hp, with header, exhaust, and an intake (i am excluding the tb spacer and nitrous) and there is still room to improve cams, timing, higher compression pistons, p&p, larger tb, possibly better intake manifold for the tb if its too big. then theres stuff that would be needed like some sort of engine management, injectors, fuel pump
so was it 13% or 15% drive train losses for fwd manual? i saw the thread of travis's and he used the number of 13% in guessing how much his car would make at the wheels if it was manual.
sorry for using you for this one travis, i know you have some good numbers N/A, thats the only reason.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by RoadRunner
i know CK98 personally so i may be a little biased here, but it sounds to me like NJHK jumped on him pretty harshly here, basically said that he was being a bit condesending. i think i would be pissed too if someone tried to put words in my mouth. maybe i read this wrong though, so i wont jump to conclusions.
i just noticed from this post on, **** got ugly.
Understand that I was not trying to be any way attackful and I wasn't trying to put words in his mouth. If it sounded that way, I'm sorry but some of the things were explained well so I had to take what he was saying in the context that I thought he was saying it.

Also, things got uglier before that...lol
Old 04-03-2006, 05:57 PM

Understand that I was not trying to be any way attackful and I wasn't trying to put words in his mouth. If it sounded that way, I'm sorry but some of the things were explained well so I had to take what he was saying in the context that I thought he was saying it.

Also, things got uglier before that...lol
i just reread, maybe it is because i know him, but i really dont see it

EDIT: i do see you two disagreeing though, but nothing uncivil.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:38 AM

13 hp difference isnt a small difference, especially when we are talking about building a car when every little ounce of hp would be needed.

i noticed you used that 13% figure in one of your threads so why is it 15% today?
The difference between 200 and 213 is nothing compared to the large difference between 200 and 250. Much like the large difference between my maturity level age 30 and yours...age 13. I am no longer discussing this, even if you say you analy rape my mother while pouring gasoline down my shirt.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:27 AM
Site Founder

Much like the large difference between my maturity level age 30 and yours...age 13.
Come on guys, this is getting out of hand here. Argue your side like adults or do it in private (AIM).
Personal attacks are not welcomed here