2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

question about LSD

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question question about LSD

ok... i have searched and i hit a dead end wall everywhere because i guess LSD is a widely used acronym. im talking about the LSD for the tranny posted on Turbo Techs website. i was wondering what does it do?
Old 04-13-2007, 08:32 PM

If you have driven is snow, you would know that our open diff trasmitts power to the wheel that has the least traction. This is to assist the car around corners by letting one wheel spin faster than the other. Its alsot the cheepest way to make this happen.

An LSD (Limited Slip Differential) still allows for the wheels top turn at different speeds around corners, but when one wheel looses traction, power is applies to the other wheel instead. This is why the SS S/C with G85 can do a 2 wheel burnout. This is the kind of differential you would typically find in a sports car or in a pickup with a towing package.

In the real world, this is the best performance option available for the street. Provides power to both wheels, but still lets wheels travel at different speeds for cornering.

I would love to have one for my car, but I don't want to spend that kind of money for the parts and then the install. Especially since this car will be my beater.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:39 PM

Stop Doing Drugs... Lsd Is A Drug
Old 04-13-2007, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LSD causes you to think you can fly and you jump from windows! Its baaad stuff man! Just say NO!
Old 04-13-2007, 10:45 PM

so r u telling me that i cant do a 2 wheel burnout lol. But anyway does anyone know wherei can get this because G85 was not on any of the black balts at the dealer's lot.
nvm i found it.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by YSUsteven
If you have driven is snow, you would know that our open diff trasmitts power to the wheel that has the least traction. This is to assist the car around corners by letting one wheel spin faster than the other. Its alsot the cheepest way to make this happen.

An LSD (Limited Slip Differential) still allows for the wheels top turn at different speeds around corners, but when one wheel looses traction, power is applies to the other wheel instead. This is why the SS S/C with G85 can do a 2 wheel burnout. This is the kind of differential you would typically find in a sports car or in a pickup with a towing package.

In the real world, this is the best performance option available for the street. Provides power to both wheels, but still lets wheels travel at different speeds for cornering.

I would love to have one for my car, but I don't want to spend that kind of money for the parts and then the install. Especially since this car will be my beater.
Well if that is why a SS can do a 2 wheel burnout then why can I? I have a 2.2 automatic and I spin both tires 99% of the time And if you don't believe me I will take a pic of the 2 20 foot long black marks that I left in my buddies driveway last week
Old 04-14-2007, 01:08 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Please post a link to the product in question.

Which trans do you have? None of the L61 cars come with LSD's, but you can have them iinstalled aftermarket. It require a complete disassembly of your trans, and Its not worth it for just that. But if you are having other major transmission work done, then it is.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by BlackLS
Well if that is why a SS can do a 2 wheel burnout then why can I? I have a 2.2 automatic and I spin both tires 99% of the time And if you don't believe me I will take a pic of the 2 20 foot long black marks that I left in my buddies driveway last week
It is possible to do a 2 wheel burn out with an open diff, but you must have exact same traction under both wheels, ie. perfect pavement, hard to find in the real world.

The open diff is also the reason that we get torque steer.

SO do both wheels spin in the snow?
Old 04-14-2007, 09:48 AM

if you counter torque steer by puling back and forth slightly on the steering, it cause both drivewheels to gain and lose traction slighly allowing for what appears to be a two wheel burnout mark on pavement. but both wheels are not really slipping at the same time. it just appears that way.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:17 AM

awesome explanation! now i understand thanks :-) so basically its not really worth it unless im a rally racer or something lol. it just sucks being deployed because i cant learn hands on... the trucks we work on are the size of duplex houses with turbos as big as stock honda tires and blowers twice the size of the ones on the SS/SC's

this is the LSD i was talking about Halfcent... sorry didnt know that
http://www.turbotechracing.com/produ...idproduct=4654