2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Questions about my upcoming turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about my upcoming turbo build

I have been debating for the past few months whether or not to go all out N/A or go with Hahns turbo kit, and i have come to the conclusion to do hahns, but i am nervous about a couple things.. I no there tuning doesnt include auto tunning for the auto tranny so would I have to get the AEM FIC controller, if so thats not a problem.

Second do i need to do any engine building up like new pistons, rods. I am leaving the hahn kit stock for awhile because i just want to run at whatever boost the kit gives at normal, am not to worried about it, I just want to get it up and running first.

Second, if i am going all out on the kit, should i get a 3inch exhaust, or 2.5.. if 3.0 is the best for my needs, i will just buy hahns whole catback kit which isnt to expensive.

IF AEM FIC is needed, will that have tuning for the auto tranny at all :sorry most of this is new to me so bear with me:

I no i am looking at around under 5k for the turbo, exhaust, ect which is ok with me.. I have read around here quite a bit with info on this, but i just needed to have some questions answered..

If i am missing anything, please say as I am new to this.

Btw i am not looking at high boost right now, am looking more forward to reliability and lesser stress that high boost can cause. at most, 10psi would be perfect. am aiming at 250hp at most for now

Thanks for everyones help in advance and have a wonderful weekend
Old 01-19-2008, 11:16 AM

1) Hahn kit can be run on a completely stock 2.2L, you are well within the safe zone and stock boost levels

2) the AEM FIC is a fuel & ignition controller, does not touch the tranny at all

3) 2.5" exhaust will be fine for the boost levels that you are running with the Hahn kit as is
Old 01-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Get a tranny cooler and the B&M shift+ and that should allow the tranny to last ALOT longer then if you jsut elft it stock. My kit arrives monday Bill hahn and his company is the best. Helped me and answered all my questions and shipped my kit out within a week of recieving payment.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:46 PM

Thanks guys and yea i have the shiftplus.. so am i gonna end up needing the AEM controller because of me being auto??
Mkulrey13, ive been following your thread since the beginning about your build, thats what really inspired me to do it because of all the things hahn has been doing for everyone and the care they give there customers.

EDIT: from what i gather i should be just able to get the full alpha kit and use there tune, and use my shiftplus and get a good tranny cooler... Will be calling hahn on monday to get some info about other stuff.. within the next few months i will be gather a lot of stuff like the full hahn exhaust system, gauges, pods that i need, and turbo.. Thanks mkulrey13 for helping me out on aim

So gauge wise I am getting the autometer cobalt series gauges:

Boost, oil pressure, tranny temp, AEM wideband..

exhaust: Hahn 3 inch catback, there highflow downpipe with cat.. one thing i dont get is there site says the downpipe is 2.75, why not 3 inch if the catback is 3 inch and they are both built for turbo use mainly.

Now here my next question, why if i decide to boost a lot more.. i no i need new rods and pistons and hahns intake manifold..

this is my question, if i drop down to a 8ish compression, will i have to get another tune?? if so i am kinda screwed.. also what do i use as a boost controller.. i am trying to learn most of this before i do it.. Thanks guys

Last edited by Cobalt4Life; 01-19-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Former Vendor

Hi there!

Let me se if I can help you out.

We don't have an automatic trans solution for this, as you know. What year is the car?
Old 01-21-2008, 02:33 PM

i have a 2006 LS
Old 01-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Cobalt4Life
i have a 2006 LS
This is a tough one, as current technologies do not support this car. While our turbosystem would physically fit, you'd be on your own insofar as tuning, as no known company supports tuning this 2.2 / auto application.

SCT developed a flash tuner for the Manual trans version of the car, and as far as we know, that's the only game in town (we use this tuner in our turbosystems for the Manual). You might consider contacting them to inquire as to their plans (if any) to also support the Automatic version. Perhaps if enough of y'all pester them, they might see the business case to do so!
Old 01-21-2008, 05:59 PM

yeah the AEM F/IC won't do anything for the tranny... and with SCT only offering support for the manual...it should work to go with the F/IC and the Shiftplus kit...in theory that would work. Unless SCT or HP Tuners support it...then all you need is the physical stuff and let the logical (tuning stuff) be supported by something else other than SCT since they don't support the auto's...yet...

don't quote me on that though...i don't know too much on HPT but ask around to see if other people with auto's can use it to adjust for the tranny...if they do...get that...and the physical stuff for the turbo, install and tune....
Old 01-21-2008, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by EcoBoost
This is a tough one, as current technologies do not support this car. While our turbosystem would physically fit, you'd be on your own insofar as tuning, as no known company supports tuning this 2.2 / auto application.
why does it matter what tranny he has? he should be able to buy the complete kit with the SCT tune to handle his motor...but be on his own for tuning the tranny which of course is completely seperate.

the way that you word it makes it sound like the tune from SCT isn't good for anything?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:23 AM

...no it reflashes to compensates for the manual tranny...the comp controls the shift points on the auto tranny too...so if you reflash for a manual...then it won't recognize the shift point patterns and will not run right...he will run the risk of blowing the tranny....so...instead of reflashing the entire thing with something that is supporting only one platform..why not get an injector driver which only controls the injectors and ignition patterns and leaves the shift points the same...thus adding a shift kit will adjust along with the factory ecu making everything actually work...instead of having to worry about whether or not your tuning is going to run right because it was designed to run one way and force feeding your car to take another....
Old 01-22-2008, 04:15 AM

i heard someone say on the forum that the aem fic would not pass emissions or something?? is that true??

Ugg this is become a big pain lol, if i would have known what this would have caused me in the future i would of bought the manual or ss.. only reason i bought the auto 2 years ago is because i was to paranoid of blowing the clutch or something as i had no one to reteach me how to drive one, and didnt no this forum existed then..

I do appreciate everyones help very much.. i am very close to giving up on this project as this is gonna end up costing me over 6 grand the way i see it with all the missing links.. i talked to someone and he said the b and m is crap for the turbo..

there is that 700 tranny tuner that came out that someone showed around here somewhere, but thats what 700 auto tune.. 400 or so for the aem fic.. 3 some grand for the turbo kit without injectors because injectors only come with the alpha tuner one with the tuner that i cant use.. plus exhaust, downpipe and gauges, other stuff.. it almost seems like more sense to sell the car (has less than 20 thousand miles on it 2006) and get a used ss/sc and stick with the blower.. i wanted a turbo or blower so bad.. but for me, it seems like to much trouble and i am not that mechanically skilled with everything, not good enough for all that stuff..

EDIT: Welp my fiancee wants me to keep pursuing the turbo.. she says to keep looking for a good solution for my tranny.. if i have to spend the extra for tranny tuning so be it.. this is going to be one long project though.. either way if i go turbo it will only be hahns kit..

Ecoboost, isnt there a way i can send you my tcm and pcm and you can do something with it in the future.. i mean i aint doing this project for quite awhile.. was trying to have it done before 09.. maybe by 09 there will be more tuning..

ecoboost, heres my question, say i go with your standard stage 2 kit, would your 3 inch full exhaust kit be best??? i plan in the future to put in forged rods and pistons and some other crack to run higher boost.. but with stage 2, is 3 inch optimal, or not really?? that 3 inch exhaust is sweet looking and sounding..

Last edited by Cobalt4Life; 01-22-2008 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-22-2008, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by FacelessKhaos
...no it reflashes to compensates for the manual tranny...the comp controls the shift points on the auto tranny too...so if you reflash for a manual...then it won't recognize the shift point patterns and will not run right...he will run the risk of blowing the tranny....
what? in an auto, the adjustments for the tranny are completely seperate from the motor so I don't understand.

the ECU has nothing to do with a manual transmission, the tune is for the motor only so it shouldn't matter whether one is auto or manual.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMo do research and make a custom turbo setup .. it'll run you cheaper.. then you can get a tuning solution and such and still be under 4K if you plan right, though hahns kit is the easiest route.. with some research you'll learn alot more and save alot of money.. not that hahn doesn't have nice stuff. because holy cow they do .. and if they dont stop I might have to go turbo lol... im me on aim if you want man and i'll talk to you about it
Old 01-23-2008, 06:41 PM

i prefer to just buy hahns because i prefer to do it from a reputable company and not me building it.. i dont mind paying the extra for something that was researched better than i could do plus they offer warrenty i believe and all.. i am just going to have to tune via aem and some kind of tranny tuner.. will be fun though
Old 01-23-2008, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i prefer to just buy hahns because i prefer to do it from a reputable company and not me building it.. i dont mind paying the extra for something that was researched better than i could do plus they offer warrenty i believe and all.. i am just going to have to tune via aem and some kind of tranny tuner.. will be fun though
meh i just figured you'd know more if you do it your self and knowing is half the battle. lol

but idk personally i like doing it myself.. and most parts come with their own warranty .. if you were able to use the tuning i'd tel you to get the hahn one 100%
Old 01-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by IonNinja
why does it matter what tranny he has? he should be able to buy the complete kit with the SCT tune to handle his motor...but be on his own for tuning the tranny which of course is completely seperate.anything?
The automatic transmission must be reprogrammed to accommodate the significant torque increases the turbosystem creates. Additionally, our experience has shown that the engine tune itself can be significantly different for the automatic version.

Ecoboost, isnt there a way i can send you my tcm and pcm and you can do something with it in the future.. i mean i aint doing this project for quite awhile.. was trying to have it done before 09.. maybe by 09 there will be more tuning..

ecoboost, heres my question, say i go with your standard stage 2 kit, would your 3 inch full exhaust kit be best??? i plan in the future to put in forged rods and pistons and some other crack to run higher boost.. but with stage 2, is 3 inch optimal, or not really?? that 3 inch exhaust is sweet looking and sounding..
The best thing we can do is keep in touch should some new technologies surface. At this time, we just do not have any effective options for your particular model. I can provide you with a complete turbosystem less tuning or fuel system mods should you wish to do your own thing with tuning.

If you are going to go turbo, the 3" exhaust is always the best choice.

Last edited by Hahn RaceCraft; 01-24-2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-24-2008, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by EcoBoost
Additionally, our experience has shown that the engine tune itself can be significantly different for the automatic version.
okay, well this part makes sense as to why you may not want to use the SCT reflash
Old 01-24-2008, 01:23 PM

so far i got a small list of what i need..

Hahn turbo kit: one without tuning.
Exhaust: hahn 3.0 exhaust and downpipe.
Gauge: gauges and pods, oil pressure, tranny temp, boost, wideband
Mounts: engine, tranny mounts
Tuning: AEM FIC, tranny tuning i saw from someones post.
fuel system: dont no what kind of injectors to get??

Missing anything??

id prolly no more building it myself but if rather by a kit proven and not have to worry about more leaks and all.. if i can compile everything, i can take it to a dyno shop and have them install it all and dyno tune it which would be fine..

wish hptuners would of made tuning for us, really hurts our options big time..

EDIT: called b&m and they said the shiftplus on stage 2 gives full line pressure even when not under WOT.. but they said its only on the models listed on there site, and they aint got any new cars listed under that section. then again they didnt test the cobalts from what all was said. but i gathered from other people testing it and all and me having it, that it is full pressure.. going by what i read from people testing it and all..

still talking to hahn.. if the shiftplus is good enough, all i need is aem fic for tuning and all will be well..

so lets see what all happens..

Last edited by Cobalt4Life; 01-24-2008 at 06:20 PM.