2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Restricted By SAI

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i got a fujita intake and i have sai. i jus slapped a breather filter onto the sai hose and it seems to work fine, and no CEL's
Old 12-02-2007, 04:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarbae
Lets say I have a SAI-equipped model, and I swap in an intake and header with no SAI hookups, and reflash the PCM to get rid of CEL, will that then be emissions-legal? Or is there something going on with SAI-equipped models that's just not that simple?
is it legal? no. will anyone giving you a CARB test know you did it? probably not. they'd have to look up your VIN# registered on your ECU, read the one on your dash, and note that they dont match...something ive never heard of them doing

its the same as getting an aftermarket downpipe with a cat. its got a cat, so itll pass...but its still illegal to replace the stock one unless its broken.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
is it legal? no. will anyone giving you a CARB test know you did it? probably not. they'd have to look up your VIN# registered on your ECU, read the one on your dash, and note that they dont match...something ive never heard of them doing

its the same as getting an aftermarket downpipe with a cat. its got a cat, so itll pass...but its still illegal to replace the stock one unless its broken.
got it... thanks!
Old 12-02-2007, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
haha. wait a minute. its ILLEGAL to replace a cat unless its broken?!!?!? what kinda law is that!?!?!
Old 12-02-2007, 10:49 PM

Yeah, CARB bs... I'm pretty sure it's illegal to mess with any sort of factory emissions-related equipment...
Old 12-02-2007, 11:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the sai ONLY kicks on for a few seconds during a cold start. shouldn't affect emission tests at all, since they're not done from a cold start.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, CARB bs... I'm pretty sure it's illegal to mess with any sort of factory emissions-related equipment...
this is true. you cant alter or replace any emissions controlling devices unless they are broken under CARB

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
the sai ONLY kicks on for a few seconds during a cold start. shouldn't affect emission tests at all, since they're not done from a cold start.
this is also true. you wouldnt fail emissions due to whats actually coming out of the tailpipe, but you'd fail because you'd get a CEL
also, i think they might have you do them from a cold start in CA. otherwise, the SAI has no effect at all...it reduces the results read on an exhaust sniffer not by reducing the emissions, but by increasing the oxygen level, lowering the parts per million. the same volume of exhaust gasses is coming out regardless
Old 12-03-2007, 09:00 AM

Lets say I have a SAI-equipped model, and I swap in an intake and header with no SAI hookups, and reflash the PCM to get rid of CEL, will that then be emissions-legal? Or is there something going on with SAI-equipped models that's just not that simple?
Holy old thread batman. THe problem with doing this is you are talking only about clearing a code now reflashing the PCM. If you look in my signature there is a link to a reflash thread where you REALLY get the PCM reflashed and the computer no longer knows SAI exists. You would simply be removing the SAI hardware but not the programming. So you will throw a CEL everytime your car tries to start SAI.

the only real way is to reflash the PCM at a dealer using tech 2 and GM Dealer world. This is what I did and it is 100% full proof but not an easy thing to get done, you need a connection. good luck.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Please read this thread:

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/secondary-air-injection-late-production-2006-l61s-38488/

It will answer your questions. To summarize it, you can in fact get a GM ECM program reflash done that will delete the SAI. The typical dealership will probably not do it for you, but if you can get it done, it is COMPLETELY LEGAL unless you live in California. As stated, California CARB laws do not allow the modification of exhaust components. But if you have an SAI car in say, Colorado, then go ahead. All you are doing in essence is switching the car back to a regular emmisions system. I wouldn't even call it a modification.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
Please read this thread:

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38488

It will answer your questions. To summarize it, you can in fact get a GM ECM program reflash done that will delete the SAI. The typical dealership will probably not do it for you, but if you can get it done, it is COMPLETELY LEGAL unless you live in California. As stated, California CARB laws do not allow the modification of exhaust components. But if you have an SAI car in say, Colorado, then go ahead. All you are doing in essence is switching the car back to a regular emmisions system. I wouldn't even call it a modification.
halfpenny is 100% right. Other than california there is nothing illegal about it, but most dealers are hesitant to do it. It is not so much of a mod as giving you the opportunity to modify other components that would otherwise be off limits (can choose from any intake and can swap exhaust manifolds) I believe there are only 4 or 5 guys on the site that have had SAI deleted halfcent and myself included.

BTW, welcome back Halfcent.... haven't seen you around in a while. How is TN treating you and hows that new job?
Old 12-03-2007, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
Please read this thread:

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38488

so then unless ur in california, it is LEGAL to change ur cat if it isnt broken?? im confused
Old 12-03-2007, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by BigTizzle903
so then unless ur in california, it is LEGAL to change ur cat if it isnt broken?? im confused
Correct. Earlier, we were talking about CARB-legality... CARB = California Air Resources Board.

And I have read the thread, I'm just surprised that so many people are waiting around for SAI-friendly headers, when you can just remove the SAI system entirely with a reflash...
Old 12-03-2007, 05:47 PM

Correct. Earlier, we were talking about CARB-legality... CARB = California Air Resources Board.

And I have read the thread, I'm just surprised that so many people are waiting around for SAI-friendly headers, when you can just remove the SAI system entirely with a reflash...
There are very very few dealers willing to do the reflash though, that's the problem.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, I did not have SAI originally. I just worked with Crate Engine Depot while I was in Chicago to learn about how to have the system removed.

Tennesse is fine so far. I'm completely settled into to the new place and job. Now I have to get laid...
Old 12-03-2007, 10:32 PM

what i did on my intake was just drill a hole and weld a flandge on there will be disscoloration so i just color matched it to my car and what im looking to do now like 1/2 cent said before just cut the header off at the flange and weld like a pacesetter header pipes in there place and that way you dont have to mess with any cumpter junk and its still pretty much the way it came
Old 12-03-2007, 10:55 PM

Ok,here's the final explanation for Secondary Air Injection. SAI is the injection of outside air to the headers so that the o2 sensors both before and after the CAT detect the o2 increase while the air pump is working. SAI is only on while the coolant thermostat reads between 40 and 140 degrees...considering average idle is around 189 degrees, its not on for very long. This reduces HCO (Hydro-Carbons) output while the car is still warming up. I have the ebay cold air intake on my 2.2, and i only moved the SAI tube onto the old air box bolt-location ( see pic in my sig). Any CEL when you go for a smog test is instant failure, however even here in Nevada, the dealerships refuse to remove SAI with a reflash of a pcm. In theory you could remove all the piping up to the air pump and it would still work fine, however then you risk sucking up debris into the air pump. Everyone else including myself just put a breather filter onto the tube, it works, and I have had it for almost 10,000 miles with no problems. In theory, you could tap a fitting into the header or even the downpipe and attach the tube, however no shop here in vegas wants to toy with the idea, you guys gotta let meknow how it goes over there on the east coast.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:37 AM

I also have a breather to the header... never a CEL, nor has there been any reason for one.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:30 PM

Heres a video (cold start up) I just put a filter, Its been on for 22,000 miles .
no tap a fitting into the header or the downpipe .LOL