2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Simple, Nice and Inexpensive mods.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simple, Nice and Inexpensive mods.

Hi everyone,
I will soon be part of the Cobalt family and I cant wait to do so. I ordered my Cobalt last friday and have been draeming about it ever since. I ordered the Cobalt Coupe LS, in Black with sport appearance package; spoiler, chrome tailpipe, 16" five spoke mags, tinted windows all around and I also got the upgraded sound system 7 speaker Pioneer set with 10" sub in the trunk and eveyrthing is power controlled.

I test drove it that friday and boy did it feel good to get behind the wheel of a car again, especially one that smooth and mean looking; you tend to appreciate things like those when all you drive are trucks ( 97 Chevy 1500c, 2000 Ford Ranger XLT or 2004 Jeep Cherokee Laredo ).

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone out there in Cobalt-Land had any ideas for mods both appearance and enginewise. Me and my brother have already decided to change a couple things in the "cockpit" like the shifter knob, and pedals which are essentially cheap but add a little flare. Being that we are both students we dont have a whole lot of money to spend on tuning it, but if you guys have any ideas what so ever or any inisde info on cheap gear I could purchase it would be much appreciated. I hope to be able to help you guys out too one day.

THX
Old 09-26-2005, 10:27 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the site and the Cobalt family

Like you mentioned before, you can change the shift knob, and pedals. You can also upgrade to a B&M short shifter.

If you search the site you'll find some threads about paint matching your headlights which some on the site have already done.

Hope you enjoy the car!
Old 09-27-2005, 07:37 AM

Thanks Marc, but I realized I failed to mention that my Cobalt will have an auto transmission.

I was thinking about putting in an air intake into the car, I dont know much about mechanincs and the works, any info as to which one is best or whatever else will be greatly appreciated.

THX
Old 09-27-2005, 09:12 AM
The Stig

Originally Posted by Mootz
Thanks Marc, but I realized I failed to mention that my Cobalt will have an auto transmission.

I was thinking about putting in an air intake into the car, I dont know much about mechanincs and the works, any info as to which one is best or whatever else will be greatly appreciated.

THX
Ah okay

Heres a list of items for you:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/accessories/frameset3.cfm

There is also an intake out for the 2.2L, check out www.injen.com for more information on it.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:12 PM

Thanks again man, the GM site gave me a couple extra ideas (not many pics though ) Ill keep you posted as soon as I get the car.

THX
Old 09-27-2005, 03:22 PM

i have the same thing but in manual
the only things i did were debage, system, and interior cathodes

what are your goals for the car?
Old 09-27-2005, 10:31 PM

Well everyone I am the officially the newest member of the Cobalt family, I just got mine today and have been driving it ever since !!!!!! God-damn that 7 speaker sound system can pump out some goooooood sounding music, the sub sends "good vibrations" all throughout. Talk about "tight like a ten year old" this thing can handle well. I havent pinned it yet just because the engine is still new and all. Quick question, How long before I can start driving "aggressively" meaning how long does it take the engine to settle in ?

Anyways, I checked out your pics tiny on one of your past posts and my car and you car are identical except for transmission, DAMN we have good taste, great minds think alike huh?

So far my plans for the car aren't too extreme, I just want to add a couple appearance upgrades to it so it can stand out, really nothing too expensive. My ideas we're Interior-wise; change shifter, change pedals, maybe add a couple lights inside over pedals (dunno what color though) and as for Exterior-wise; change door handles (chrome or metallic) and add a mesh grill. As for performance; for the moment being I am gonna try and convince my brother to split a nice Air Intake for the extra sound it gives off and the little but significant boost.

THX ya'll I will try to post up some pics of me and my baby, which by the way needs a name, I am open to suggestion.

I will have sweet dreams tonight.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:33 AM

Hi Mootz, welcome
I also drove a pick-up truck then bought a Cobalt--a big change! It took me ahwile to adjust (I'll be missing the 4x4 this winter!). My Cobalt LS is the same you describe, but without the Pioneer system (the 4-speaker system sucks) and is orange instead. I have 20% tint, debadged the 'Cobalt LS' and removed the side rub strip thingys on the doors/quarter panels (nice clean look). Exhaust and wheels are in the near future.

You have to name your car--ALL cars need a name--my Cobalt is 'Penny'.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:36 AM

I forgot to mention.......I am curious about the shifter knob as well. Does anyone know from the GM Build Book on page 130, fig.276 if the white B&M Pro Ratchet Shifter can be used for everyday use? Is it easy to install? Expensive? What's the purpose for replacing the shifter cable if you just keep it in Drive?
Old 09-28-2005, 11:30 AM

Quick question, How long before I can start driving "aggressively" meaning how long does it take the engine to settle in ?
Here is the GM official statement on new vehicle break-in;
New Vehicle Break-In
Notice: Your vehicle does not need an elaborate
break-in. But it will perform better in the long run if
you follow these guidelines for the first 500 miles
(805 km):
  • Do not drive at any one constant speed, fast
    or slow.
  • Do not exceed 70 mph (113 km/h).
  • Do not make full-throttle starts; also refrain from
    using the full throttle while driving. Avoid
    downshifting to brake, or slow, the vehicle.
If these break-in procedures are not followed,
the vehicle’s engine, axle, or other parts could
be damaged.

Avoid making hard stops for the first 200 miles
(322 km) or so. During this time your new brake
linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops with new
linings can mean premature wear and earlier
replacement. Follow this breaking-in guideline
every time you get new brake linings.

Following break-in, engine speed and load can be
gradually increased.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:35 AM

great info, thanks.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Golf Girl
Hi Mootz, welcome
I also drove a pick-up truck then bought a Cobalt--a big change! It took me ahwile to adjust (I'll be missing the 4x4 this winter!).

Thanks for the welcome GolfGirl and might I say one of the sexiest things on the face of the earth is a woman that can drive a truck. I melted in my seat when I read your reply.

As for the name I was thinking Black Betty

What do you all think, pics are coming soon, just gotta get my hands on a digicam. Let me know if any of you have better ideas for the name.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:53 PM

Thanks alot brentil, awesome info. Greatly appreciated.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:08 PM

Thanks for the welcome GolfGirl and might I say one of the sexiest things on the face of the earth is a woman that can drive a truck. I melted in my seat when I read your reply. .
I am blushing I loved my truck--I miss it.

Post some pics so we can decide on a name for your new Cobalt
Old 09-29-2005, 01:42 AM

can someone explain the whole catback thing im thinking of getting done to my 06 just wondering if you enlarge the whole pipe from the cataletic converter back or what. any input appreciated thanks guys
Old 09-29-2005, 04:53 PM

Damn i didnt follow any break in rules. wish someone woulda told me. o well.

My cobalt drives awesome and im at almost 20,000 miles.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:22 PM

i spoke to the lead mechanic at the chevy dealership who is my best friends stepdad, he said basically there is no break in period anymore. so it doesnt really matter...
Old 09-29-2005, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltBurst
i spoke to the lead mechanic at the chevy dealership who is my best friends stepdad, he said basically there is no break in period anymore. so it doesnt really matter...
Thats really comforting to know, because my car wasnt sent over by truck, someone drove it from Ottawa all the way to Montreal, (about 400 klicks) and let's just say if I were in his place I would not of been doing the speed limit the entire way there in a brand new car that I didnt own, I would be RIPPING IT !!!!!

Take car of your Cobalt as you would your own mother, praise her, love her and listen to her ROAR !!!!