2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

2.4 LE5 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.4 LE5 Questions

Hey guys i have a few questions about the 2.4's I have an 08 2.4 S that im going to be upgrading soon. So im told there were years with forged internals but that mine doesn't have them as a cost cutting measure which ones have them and is it a complete rewire or will drop it in Mine has 245kmiles so after the upgrades im not expecting the engine to last. Also what's the damn difference between the 2.4 SS and the 2.4 S? I thought it was maybe the sunroof but apparently the SS also can come with no sunroof so.....
Ok so Next question I've read thru alot of info here but alot of it is kinda outdated is there a newer 2.4 SC guide? Also can i hook the SC up with everything and run it without a tune without hurting anything? I know it needs a tune but i will also be swapping to e85 w/ 80# inj as well later in the summer then i will have to send my ECU off to ZZP for the tune because i dont have a local tuner, So i wanted to test the system before the tune make sure i get it all ironed out as I've not done anything like this before. Also a question on injectors will any EV6 injector work? or they are specific to the vehicle?

Thanks in advance all help is appreciated!

Last edited by Jenny da Mota; 02-14-2022 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:15 PM

Received 84 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Jenny da Mota
Hey guys i have a few questions about the 2.4's I have an 08 2.4 S that im going to be upgrading soon. So im told there were years with forged internals but that mine doesn't have them as a cost cutting measure which ones have them and is it a complete rewire or will drop it in Mine has 245kmiles so after the upgrades im not expecting the engine to last. Also what's the damn difference between the 2.4 SS and the 2.4 S? I thought it was maybe the sunroof but apparently the SS also can come with no sunroof so.....
Ok so Next question I've read thru alot of info here but alot of it is kinda outdated is there a newer 2.4 SC guide? Also can i hook the SC up with everything and run it without a tune without hurting anything? I know it needs a tune but i will also be swapping to e85 w/ 80# inj as well later in the summer then i will have to send my ECU off to ZZP for the tune because i dont have a local tuner, So i wanted to test the system before the tune make sure i get it all ironed out as I've not done anything like this before. Also a question on injectors will any EV6 injector work? or they are specific to the vehicle?

Thanks in advance all help is appreciated!
Welcome aboard! So that is correct for the le5 engine. It had forged internals for the 06 and early 07 models. You can get an 06 or 07 engine out of various vehicles including Pontiac g6, Solstice, Pontiac G5 gt, Saturn ion quad coupe 2.4, Cobalt ss 2.4. Also the Cobalt Sport is the 08 model with the weaker rods so you don't want that one. The ss /na in either 06 or 07 is the one you want. I'm currently supercharging my G5 gt hopefully this summer. There are full build threads just search becks 2.4 supercharged cobalt or supercharged le5. I bought the kit ZZP makes and bought a used m62 supercharger and intake manifold off ebay. You can sometimes find full kits for sale if you dont want to pay new prices for zzp kit. For injectors you'll need ev6 80# injectors you can buy those from zzp or ottp and you need ev6 for the le5 ecotec engine.
Siemens 80 lb Injectors (4) | ZZPerformance

And no you cannot drive the car untuned with the supercharger and larger injectors because it was on stock tune and the fuel trims will not be correct and you'll run lean and potentially melt a piston and blow your motor. Get the car tuned correctly before driving it.

Old 02-15-2022, 07:51 AM

I ment just the supercharger i know i cant do anything with 80# injectors not tuned xD My wheel hub broke off of my 06 SS i had and sent me into a pole so i have my SC stuff from that, Im only missing a few odds and ends and every SC DIY post i see is different. I did read Becks but thats way outdated im guessing before they figured out easier ways to do it all. I wish there was a newer version. As for the injectors yea i seen them on ZZP thats where im getting most of the stuff i need, was just trying to save money here and there by seeing if there were other cars with EV6 injectors i could use. But with you saying my car has the weak rods i might hold off till i find an engine for it and maybe just do the exhaust with some good headers ect. The cars you listed (had no idea so many had these engines) are they just drop in and go? Or will they require wiring to be done? O and on another note is yours manual and if it is, is the clutch really....soft i guess would be the word. Thanks alot for your help im new to the 2.4's always had an LSJ but i found this one mint for $600 just needed a clutch and some tlc.

Old 02-15-2022, 01:15 PM

I ment just the supercharger i know i cant do anything with 80# injectors not tuned xD My wheel hub broke off of my 06 SS i had and sent me into a pole so i have my SC stuff from that, Im only missing a few odds and ends and every SC DIY post i see is different. I did read Becks but thats way outdated im guessing before they figured out easier ways to do it all. I wish there was a newer version. As for the injectors yea i seen them on ZZP thats where im getting most of the stuff i need, was just trying to save money here and there by seeing if there were other cars with EV6 injectors i could use. But with you saying my car has the weak rods i might hold off till i find an engine for it and maybe just do the exhaust with some good headers ect. The cars you listed (had no idea so many had these engines) are they just drop in and go? Or will they require wiring to be done? O and on another note is yours manual and if it is, is the clutch really....soft i guess would be the word. Thanks alot for your help im new to the 2.4's always had an LSJ but i found this one mint for $600 just needed a clutch and some tlc.
Here are a few good threads I found more recently with newer information on supercharging the fe5 or 2.2 ecotec. You basically need all the lsj drive assembly and including the 2.5 map bar sensor so you can read post iat's. I would suggest looking through these more recent threads because you can see different questions answered by people who have already done it. The reason I went with the zzp kit was because i got it on their black friday deal and saved close to 400 dollars off the original price of the kit, plus I got my manifold and m62 used off of ebay. No they will not require rewiring its the same engine just the later 07 that were made in July or all the 08's used sand cast rods instead of forged steel rods like the lsj engine did. The 06 and early 07's can handled over 300whp some say even close to 400 with very good tuning, e85 or meth injection but me personally I wouldn't push to the limit and stay around that 300 max mark. My build i'm doing is going to be with the 3.1 pulley, ported m62 , ported lsj tb, dual pass, option b, zzp 3 inch cai, 1.75 midlength header and 2.5 inch down pipe, 2.5 zzp catback, S3 Heat exchanger, zzp stage 1 intercooler pump, 60lb injectors. That should net me anywhere bettween 250 to 260 whp and i'll be happy with that and not maxing the internals even though i know my engine is a 06 and forged. I might later on up the boost to a 2.9 pulley and do ported head and zzp cams and 82lb valve springs. Also is your clutch new or old. If its old its probably worn out and once you add the power from the m62 you'll get slippage. If its aftermarket and really soft you might not of bleed the clutch properly because a new aftermarket clutch unless it was an oem replacement should be a bit stiffer if its a performance upgrade clutch. What brand is the clutch?

jdbaugh1 official "build" thread - Cobalt SS Network

06 cobalt 2.4 ss NA/mod SC eaton, I need to go faster? - Cobalt SS Network
2.4L VVT supercharging - Cobalt SS Network

Old 02-15-2022, 02:08 PM

I got a stage 2 aftermarket clutch brand new honestly no idea on the name I would have to look around. I'm buying stuff to bleed thru the brake fill because I can't tell ya how much time I have into bleeding it. Have you thought of using the lsj head? That's a hell of a setup and a ton more into yours than I'm going. Are you doing the 60#inj. with the e85? I was thinking of doing 80's just because it's the same price. I have one wheel down pulley I have all the alternator ect brackets including the alternator just because I didn't know if I would need it. The SC sensor is still in it I just cut the wires. The only things I need is the harness for the lsj TB, the MAF extension, the lsj air filter stuff and I need the IC pump I've thought about getting the lsj injectors and harness to save money there but I'm still figuring out the details and tbf no idea how to run the hoses, the IC I have is already aftermarket and was custom so I'll need to have it welded back on and obviously a tune. I'm just trying to figure out what direction I'm going this summer as I still need parts. Im not sure which headers to do wanted shorty ones but that's because I'm use to old cars lol. My son pointed out the long tube ones so I might go with those as they specifically say they are for SC's but was also looking at the mid pipe headers. All on zzp I'm just not sure which ones are better 😂
Old 02-15-2022, 05:44 PM

I got a stage 2 aftermarket clutch brand new honestly no idea on the name I would have to look around. I'm buying stuff to bleed thru the brake fill because I can't tell ya how much time I have into bleeding it. Have you thought of using the lsj head? That's a hell of a setup and a ton more into yours than I'm going. Are you doing the 60#inj. with the e85? I was thinking of doing 80's just because it's the same price. I have one wheel down pulley I have all the alternator ect brackets including the alternator just because I didn't know if I would need it. The SC sensor is still in it I just cut the wires. The only things I need is the harness for the lsj TB, the MAF extension, the lsj air filter stuff and I need the IC pump I've thought about getting the lsj injectors and harness to save money there but I'm still figuring out the details and tbf no idea how to run the hoses, the IC I have is already aftermarket and was custom so I'll need to have it welded back on and obviously a tune. I'm just trying to figure out what direction I'm going this summer as I still need parts. Im not sure which headers to do wanted shorty ones but that's because I'm use to old cars lol. My son pointed out the long tube ones so I might go with those as they specifically say they are for SC's but was also looking at the mid pipe headers. All on zzp I'm just not sure which ones are better 😂
Yes 60lb injectors came with the zzp kit so I'm going to use those for sure. No e85 in my area since I'm from Canada the only good octane offered is 91 octane and that is the main reason I'm sticking with the 3.1 pulley for now. If I drop down to a 2.9 pulley in the future I'll probably get a meth kit. Yeah sounds like you have everything you need minus a few odds and ends. I have the midlength on my car currently and I can tell you its very good for low to midrange trq and you still get good high end power as well. Shorty header is great for low end but you get less hp up top. Long tube is mostly top end power but you lose more low end trq. This is why for me I wanted the midlength because you get enuff of both power bands . Just get the midlength with 1.75 primaries . That is the one I got and its suited for the lsj engines. Regarding the head if I was going to go full ***** on this build I would do ported le5 head and gen 3 2.4 block. That setup along with forged internals can get you over 700hp with a good size turbo setup. TVS setup easily 400whp. You can really go crazy with these ecotec engines because soo many parts are interchangeable.
Old 02-16-2022, 02:01 PM

Received 91 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Monieg5gt
Here are a few good threads I found more recently with newer information on supercharging the fe5 or 2.2 ecotec. You basically need all the lsj drive assembly and including the 2.5 map bar sensor so you can read post iat's. I would suggest looking through these more recent threads because you can see different questions answered by people who have already done it. The reason I went with the zzp kit was because i got it on their black friday deal and saved close to 400 dollars off the original price of the kit, plus I got my manifold and m62 used off of ebay. No they will not require rewiring its the same engine just the later 07 that were made in July or all the 08's used sand cast rods instead of forged steel rods like the lsj engine did. The 06 and early 07's can handled over 300whp some say even close to 400 with very good tuning, e85 or meth injection but me personally I wouldn't push to the limit and stay around that 300 max mark. My build i'm doing is going to be with the 3.1 pulley, ported m62 , ported lsj tb, dual pass, option b, zzp 3 inch cai, 1.75 midlength header and 2.5 inch down pipe, 2.5 zzp catback, S3 Heat exchanger, zzp stage 1 intercooler pump, 60lb injectors. That should net me anywhere bettween 250 to 260 whp and i'll be happy with that and not maxing the internals even though i know my engine is a 06 and forged. I might later on up the boost to a 2.9 pulley and do ported head and zzp cams and 82lb valve springs. Also is your clutch new or old. If its old its probably worn out and once you add the power from the m62 you'll get slippage. If its aftermarket and really soft you might not of bleed the clutch properly because a new aftermarket clutch unless it was an oem replacement should be a bit stiffer if its a performance upgrade clutch. What brand is the clutch?

jdbaugh1 official "build" thread - Cobalt SS Network

06 cobalt 2.4 ss NA/mod SC eaton, I need to go faster? - Cobalt SS Network
2.4L VVT supercharging - Cobalt SS Network

the 06 2.4 can handle well over 300. And you’re going to need more than a 3.1 pulley to hit 260. You’re going to need a small pulley and e85
The following users liked this post:
Monieg5gt (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by chevygirl2006
the 06 2.4 can handle well over 300. And you’re going to need more than a 3.1 pulley to hit 260. You’re going to need a small pulley and e85
Yes you are right especially only having 91 octane as my highest fuel option. If I hit 240 ish on the current 3.1 setup i'll be happy. Anything over that amount on 91 octane will be a bonus. But I do want to try a 2.9 pulley later on after I see exactly what I can achieve with the 3.1 pulley and ported blower. Do you think I can get over 240 ?
Old 02-17-2022, 12:06 PM

Seems very possible. I was on a 2.7 pulley and E85 on my stock le5 engine for a few years. I did 264whp on a lower reading mustang dyno
Monieg5gt (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 12:25 PM

Seems very possible. I was on a 2.7 pulley and E85 on my stock le5 engine for a few years. I did 264whp on a lower reading mustang dyno
Tks Alissa. This is good reference point to go by. Also I want to ask you a question about our le5 fuel rail. I'm debating whether or not its worth it to swap over to the lsj fuel rail. I heard that our le5 fuel rail doesn't spread the fuel evenly over the injectors and we get fuel pressure issues once the car is boosted and we use bigger injectors like for example 60lbs. Also I saw this fuel rail from a company called ddmworks and it was designed for the le5 dealing with those fuel pressure issues I mentioned.

2.4L Ecotec Center feed Fuel Rail for Solstice/Sky by DDMWorks
Old 02-19-2022, 07:54 PM

Nothing wrong with the le5 rail. Only reason I swapped to the lsj one was so I could run a regulator. I ran the le5 one for a couple years.
Monieg5gt (02-19-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 12:43 PM

Nothing wrong with the le5 rail. Only reason I swapped to the lsj one was so I could run a regulator. I ran the le5 one for a couple years.
Ok good to hear that then. Another question for you. How much can you gain potentially on a ported head along with zzp le5 cams and 82lbs valve springs? This is something I might decide to do in another year or two. Right now it will be fine with just the 3.1 pulley and ported blower like I mentioned previously.
Old 02-20-2022, 02:11 PM

For the cams I couldn’t tell you. I’ve never seen anyone dyno after them. Ported head probably 15-20whp maybe more.
Monieg5gt (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 02:40 PM

For the cams I couldn’t tell you. I’ve never seen anyone dyno after them. Ported head probably 15-20whp maybe more.
That's not too bad and maybe around 30whp with the cams combined I'd imagine especially on a lower pulley size.