2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

Alpine Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Alpine Turbo Kit

Hey everybody I'm pretty new to this site. I am the owner of a 2006 coby ss 2.4. I have a DC sport strut bar and Tenzo springs so far. I just wanted to let you all know that Alpine has a Turbo Kit for the 2.2 that is compatible with the 2.4. It comes withe everything you need, including a piggy back ecu. It is claimed by the site to bring the 2.2 up to 212 whp with around 230 wtq.

http://www.tntautosport.com/store/in...roducts_id=125

I didn't see this posted yet, I'm sorry if it has been.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:46 PM

i'll believe it when i see it installed & working w/ no modifications required
Old 03-28-2007, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea im with BC3tech, the boi on here said i think it was celicacobalt got a turbo kit for his 2.4ss and the mechanic said it need ed some modification cause it didnt fit
Old 03-28-2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by bc3tech
i'll believe it when i see it installed & working w/ no modifications required
Alpine is developing a kit specifically for the 2.4. Stage 2 will be non-intercooled and have the piggy-back already programmed. Everything will be bolt-on, plug and play.

Stage 3 will add an air to water intercooler (much more compact, more efficient than air to air, and less lag because the intake air isn't going all the way to the front of the car and back - this is what the stock SS/SC uses, and Alpine will even use the same laminova-style heat exchanger tubes).

And, unlike the current 2.2 kit, nothing is plumbed over the gearbox, so it will be fully compatible with either 5-speed or auto.

The prototype Stage 2 will be going onto a customer car (mine) next week. Stage 3 design will start when this install is complete (and should be available fairly soon - Alpine is really quick with new designs, unlike some developers like Hahn). We'll see how this works out real soon now...
Old 03-28-2007, 08:51 PM

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/turbo-2-4-automatic-fully-installed-pics-52517/

heres my turbo installed
Old 03-29-2007, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by celicacobalt
COOL!

That looks really good. I like that the plumbing doesn't go around the back of the engine, making it suitable for both manual and auto.

Oh, yeah, and CONGRATS ON BEATING ME TO IT! The cool thing is there will be 2 alternatives running within a couple of weeks.

As I said in the above post, the first go-around on mine will not be intercooled. The Stage 3 intercooler will come in another month. The only advantage is that it will have significantly less large-diameter plumbing because it will be air to water, and will sit across the top of the valve cover.

Wishing you all the best in getting it tuned and safe for the engine! I'd really love to know how you handle timing retard under boost (if you do). Also, how well the stock MAP deals with the boost.

Keep us informed!!!
Old 03-29-2007, 01:14 AM

yeah ill def keep you all updated
Old 03-29-2007, 09:39 AM
GTP

I posted up about Alpine a bit ago https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/advanced-performance-modifications-130/turbo-options-39038/

and the experts on here (sarcasm) came back kickin sand in its face with technological tidbits like "it looks cheap, low quality etc.. etc." I agree I think there kit looks like a top shelf piece.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by GTP
I posted up about Alpine a bit ago https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39038

and the experts on here (sarcasm) came back kickin sand in its face with technological tidbits like "it looks cheap, low quality etc.. etc." I agree I think there kit looks like a top shelf piece.
I love the "experts" who have no knowledge of a company. Would they say the TRD supercharger kits for Toyotas are junk? They are considered one of the standards of the industry for add on superchargers. Well, Alpine not only designed them, they build every one. Alpine has been around since the mid-'80's and have developed all of the boosted kits for the factories for Alfa Romeo, Toyota and Hyundai. They've produced over 29,000 turbo kits in their South Africa plant. There presence in this country is small, but their world cred is really good. I've had the parts in my hand. Nothing cheap about them.

As for all the talk about the turbo being "too small" - someone needs to read a few books on turbo sizing. If all you want is 300 HP at the drag strip, then throw a turbo off a big diesel truck at it. You won't make any power below, say, 4500 RPM, and it will be a POS to drive on the street. I would prefer great 0-60 performance, no lag, and lots of low-end torque. I drive on a street, not a race track. I complained to Alpine that I wanted a SMALLER turbo for fast spool-up. They set me straight - what anyone needs is the right size for the application. If I wanted to drag race, it certainly wouldn't be a Cobalt or any FWD car. It also wouldn't be a street car.

the Garrett kit looks pretty good. I'm sure it will work out. The Alpine kit being developed for the 2.4 won't make the "million wheel HP" people happy, but it will be great for the street. And, BTW, it will use a Garrett turbo.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:22 PM
Not a Sebring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LewiSS
I love the "experts" who have no knowledge of a company. Would they say the TRD supercharger kits for Toyotas are junk? They are considered one of the standards of the industry for add on superchargers. Well, Alpine not only designed them, they build every one. Alpine has been around since the mid-'80's and have developed all of the boosted kits for the factories for Alfa Romeo, Toyota and Hyundai. They've produced over 29,000 turbo kits in their South Africa plant. There presence in this country is small, but their world cred is really good. I've had the parts in my hand. Nothing cheap about them.

As for all the talk about the turbo being "too small" - someone needs to read a few books on turbo sizing. If all you want is 300 HP at the drag strip, then throw a turbo off a big diesel truck at it. You won't make any power below, say, 4500 RPM, and it will be a POS to drive on the street. I would prefer great 0-60 performance, no lag, and lots of low-end torque. I drive on a street, not a race track. I complained to Alpine that I wanted a SMALLER turbo for fast spool-up. They set me straight - what anyone needs is the right size for the application. If I wanted to drag race, it certainly wouldn't be a Cobalt or any FWD car. It also wouldn't be a street car.

the Garrett kit looks pretty good. I'm sure it will work out. The Alpine kit being developed for the 2.4 won't make the "million wheel HP" people happy, but it will be great for the street. And, BTW, it will use a Garrett turbo.

About the Alpine topic, couldn't agree more. Alpine makes quality goods. My girlfriend is currently considering getting an Alpine supercharger kit for her '05 Tibby.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteSSBalt
About the Alpine topic, couldn't agree more. Alpine makes quality goods. My girlfriend is currently considering getting an Alpine supercharger kit for her '05 Tibby.
If you're talking about the V-6 supercharger, I've handled the parts and it's primo! It was designed to be an over-the-counter performance kit to be sold by Hyundai under their label, but for whatever reason they decided not to (not because of any problem with the kit, mind you). Saturday I was at Alpine and a customer driving from Chicago, I believe, to Texas with a show Tibby with that kit was in getting a dyno tune. 306 Wheel Ft Lb Torque! it ran REALLY nice. The engine seems to love it.

You shoulda seen that show car - Ostridge leather in the seats and door panels, about every electronic and stereo gadget you could imagine, 20" wheels - plus, with the kit, it RAN!
Old 03-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Banned

If you're talking about the V-6 supercharger, I've handled the parts and it's primo! It was designed to be an over-the-counter performance kit to be sold by Hyundai under their label, but for whatever reason they decided not to (not because of any problem with the kit, mind you). Saturday I was at Alpine and a customer driving from Chicago, I believe, to Texas with a show Tibby with that kit was in getting a dyno tune. 306 Wheel Ft Lb Torque! it ran REALLY nice. The engine seems to love it.

You shoulda seen that show car - Ostridge leather in the seats and door panels, about every electronic and stereo gadget you could imagine, 20" wheels - plus, with the kit, it RAN!

was it white? with decals on the doors?
Old 03-30-2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by TCarter
was it white? with decals on the doors?
I don't think so. Actually can't remember the color. I spent most of my time leaning in the passenger window talking to John as he ran it through its paces. David was programming. The owner was a really cool guy - owned a tuner shop out of Chicago.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:47 AM
GTP

Ya these two "experts" killed me ...

"There is something very wrong with the look of that kit. 186HP? That is VERY weak. You're looking at a non-intercooled set-up for over 3 grand? Overpriced junk."

"something about the kit/site seems like its just a very cheap rip off"

The nebulous "something" will always get us..

Seriously though I spoke with a few guys at Alpine. Their manifold is a cast iron piece (no cracking) and comes with heat shields. Quality stainless steel lines AND fittings make this a very reasonable kit fo rthe price. I agree Garret turbo makes a good starting point and the flange makes it easily upgradeable!

This kit with the right tuning will make instant kill power on the street. The way our cars are geared we can cruise on vaccum and then when we need a crack of go fast stuff its merely a quick right foot away that should put the 2.4 right in the meat of that turbos power band. Due to its size it may fall off boost a bit past 6000rpms but that could be dealt with by exhaust size or a simple wheel clip.

Let me know how the boost plans go!!
Old 03-30-2007, 05:28 PM

Hey yall,

Damn I write a thread, insight a riot, now we're all close to friends. Thanks for the static on the turbo systems, I wont be getting one for a while due to lack of funds but it will happen. Please keep me posted on anything that would be good for HP gains if I'm planning on getting a turbo. Yes, I'm new to doing heavy work on cars. Anything at all would help and be very much appreciated.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by drkatz1685
Hey yall,

Damn I write a thread, insight a riot, now we're all close to friends. Thanks for the static on the turbo systems, I wont be getting one for a while due to lack of funds but it will happen. Please keep me posted on anything that would be good for HP gains if I'm planning on getting a turbo. Yes, I'm new to doing heavy work on cars. Anything at all would help and be very much appreciated.
catback or internal work is about the most you can do if you plan to go turbo...simply because the turbo replaces alot of essential parts.....
Old 03-30-2007, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by mike25
catback or internal work is about the most you can do if you plan to go turbo...simply because the turbo replaces alot of essential parts.....
Actually, since I have made my GMPP functional ram air, we're going to re-use all of it except the plastic hat over the throttle body. Normally the Alpine kit will come with a CAI.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:51 PM

well i have the alpine kit and my car dynoed over 215whp, so i think the kit has plenty of power for an entry level kit
Old 03-30-2007, 08:51 PM

well i have the alpine kit and my car dynoed over 215whp, so i think the kit has plenty of power for an entry level kit
Old 03-30-2007, 08:55 PM

jacking the thread for a bit! where in arlington are you at slowbalt?
Old 03-30-2007, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by elmstreet
jacking the thread for a bit! where in arlington are you at slowbalt?
i live by matloc, and i go to school at Stephen F Austin, but i come up on the weekends
Old 03-30-2007, 09:01 PM

awesome, that might explain why i havent seen your car around
Old 03-31-2007, 01:31 PM

talk with my gm tech yesterday he told me or motor is buitl to take up to 400 hp
did not say motor or wheels but still pretty damn good
he said rod, piston and gasket could take it
Old 03-31-2007, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by hot_redcobalt
talk with my gm tech yesterday he told me or motor is buitl to take up to 400 hp
did not say motor or wheels but still pretty damn good
he said rod, piston and gasket could take it
sure...any engine can handle any amount of power....but for how long?
Old 04-01-2007, 03:29 PM
GTP

Originally Posted by mike25
sure...any engine can handle any amount of power....but for how long?
Why replace something that will hold 250 whp stock and easily tunable and reliable? I mean I doubt anyone on here is going to pop 400+ whp on their cobalts let alone make it a daily driver. And if you can afford to push 400+ whp on a front drive car, you're probably a pro racer anyways so your pockets are probably deep enough to do a comprehensive engine build. I think its pretty well proven that the 2.0, 2.4 and even the 2.2 are study engines.

Heck I built many a SOHC Honda turbo (STOCK BLOCK) that ran 10 psi well past 250,000 miles and their rods are like tooth picks compared to the ECOTEC rods. One SOHC honda motor I used to own is still running on boost which is about 100K plus miles on boost alone. I think we ECOTECs are all safe as long as its tuned properly.

Quick Reply: Alpine Turbo Kit