2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

General Question.. Budget Turbo..??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General Question.. Budget Turbo..??

Hey guys,

So I really want to go boost.. I know the M62 swap is reasonably priced, and also quite straightforward to install.. But there's many of my friends who have Honda's and have their cars turbo'd for pretty cheap.. Can't we do that..? I mean, not saying you have to build the car to be good for 700hp, but I mean, just buy a small-ish blower, run low psi, get generalized parts where you can, I'm sure you could build it reasonably couldn't you..? I'm sure your main problem would be the ECU, but HPT could probably fix that, correct..? Could it still pass inspection and whatnot..? I know there's a turbo kit on eBay (not gonna base my build off just getting that, but it'd probably be an easy way to source alot of usable parts for cheap).. I really don't beat on my car, it's auto, and I really don't want to run gobs of pressure.. I just think it'd be cool to start off with a small kit and go up from there.. Anyone try this, or even just look into it..? Very curious..

Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...ht_6107wt_1100

Like that..

Last edited by averagewhiteboy; 02-20-2009 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Not a Sebring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Theres no such thing as reliable "budget boost". If you cut corners and spend less money, it'll just come back to bite you in the ass when you pay money to fix something later on. The reasons Hondas have lots of cheap turbo kits, is b/c companies know people aren't going to pay more than what they paid for their '88 CRX just to boost it. Plus, the fact that theres TONS of turbo kits for them means the companies competitively price their products much more so than the Cobalt offerings. Point is, Cobalts are 05+ cars. There just aren't gonna be any "cheap" ways to boost it this early on in the car's life. Much like older cars, once they have aged more, been discontinued, etc etc, there will be cheaper parts for them. Also, stay away from Ebay turbo kits. Typically, those are just random turbo components thrown together and sold as a "kit". Those parts aren't actually R&D's specifically for our cars. Just save the extra cash and do it right the first time. The end result will be much better and well worth it.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
As WhiteSSBalt was pointing out, the "kits" on ebay aren't really kits specific to the Cobalt. They are just a pile of parts that you could use to help you turbo your car. Nothing would actually bolt up anywhere without custom building the entire kit yourself.

How much are you looking to spend on your setup? We have 2.4 kits starting under $2k including injectors, ECM, turbo manifold, turbo, wastegate, downpipe, charge tubes, couplers, oil system, etc... For $3200, you can also get set up with an intercooler system, BOV, and 60 lb injectors.

-Matt
Old 02-20-2009, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Matt M
As WhiteSSBalt was pointing out, the "kits" on ebay aren't really kits specific to the Cobalt. They are just a pile of parts that you could use to help you turbo your car. Nothing would actually bolt up anywhere without custom building the entire kit yourself.

How much are you looking to spend on your setup? We have 2.4 kits starting under $2k including injectors, ECM, turbo manifold, turbo, wastegate, downpipe, charge tubes, couplers, oil system, etc... For $3200, you can also get set up with an intercooler system, BOV, and 60 lb injectors.

-Matt
I agree with these guys. Obviously Matt has a product to sell but his points are very valid. My suggestion would be to go with ZZP or Hahn or someone else who is making a product that is for your car vs. a collection of parts that could/might work. They've done the engineering and testing for you.

The bottom line from my experience with other cars is if you pay half the money either expect half the performance or twice the headaches...if you're lucky.

Last edited by Jellobriafra; 02-20-2009 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Misspelled "Hahn" egad!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:34 PM

Then I guess that answers my question of turbo or supercharger.. lol I can do that a bit cheaper.. Thanks guys..
Old 02-20-2009, 06:39 PM
Not a Sebring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy
Then I guess that answers my question of turbo or supercharger.. lol I can do that a bit cheaper.. Thanks guys..
How about no boost like me?
Old 02-20-2009, 10:07 PM

go turbo or spray ha no lag
Old 02-21-2009, 03:04 AM

do it right, thats what i plan on doing this summer (if i still have some kind of summer income).